advertisement

Old Philips 520 Integrated amp - where should I start?

Yes the Philips cartridge 412 iirc. A Pioneer PL12D £45 new The Philips a jump up in price and quality. Those cartridge were/are decent.

A friend had one of those Philips decks fitted with an M75ED back in the 70s. It was superior to the PL12D/M75ED combo which was a favourite at the time...though I'm told that they're much more difficult to repair now than the much simpler Pioneer.

As well as the decent electronics Philips were producing at the time, they also turned out some pretty good speakers.

Whilst in keeping with the vintage cool looks of the 'fish eyed' Philips, I thought I would pair it with some matching vintage speakers - what do you think?

I dread hurting your delicate, and to me precious feelings. But, since you ask "what do you think?", I have to say that those speakers are perhaps the ugliest I've ever seen in my life. But of course just a personal feeling.

Looks great! I have a pair of those speakers, I think they sound really good. I generally don't like ported speakers, but Sony got those ones right.

If you want a battery supply for the cca, 4x aa rechargeables will give 4.8V which should work fine. The usb battery banks have a switch mode psu to boost the voltage from 3.7 to 5V, so they're generally no better than a cheap mains one.

I dread hurting your delicate, and to me precious feelings. But, since you ask "what do you think?", I have to say that those speakers are perhaps the ugliest I've ever seen in my life. But of course just a personal feeling.

Ha ha - no delicate feelings here I just don’t think you’ve got taste! Joking of course, they are marmite Loudspeakers.

De gustibus non est disputandum, or de gustibus non disputandum est, is a Latin maxim meaning "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes."

No classical education here, heard it somewhere and checked in WiKi.

But I love the amp!

I've moved this Philips amp on now, because the sound became distorted when the volume was turned up. The new owner knows of the problem and is experienced in repairing amps like this. I feel this was a bit of a loss to me (and I should have organised getting this fixed for my own benefit) - because it was a great retro piece to look at. Nevermind - I hope the new owner gets the best from it when repaired. I've now got those Sony speakers to fiddle about with - they work perfectly well!

advertisement

Back