advertisement

Old Naim vs New Naim

A few questions for you first.

What condition and age is the 72/140 in?

What version, age and condition of the Nait XS and Supernait.

What are the sources and what are the speakers used?

Unless you define clearly what your parameters of the system they would be used in the question that you asked in meaningless.

The last recapping is 10 years ago.
I'm assuming an almost new state of naits.
Shahinian Arc, Linn LP12, Naim CD5i

I had a 72 and traded it in for an SN2.

Sold the SN2 in less than 12 months and bought another 72. Upgraded the 72 with plug ins and HC TPR4.

Then went NAP 200 to CB 250 to eventually 250DR for power amp.

I’ve not looked back to SN2 as it doesn’t really compete with my current set up but it is an above average integrated to be sure.

HI,

Thanks for that information.

Given that the price difference between the XS and Supernait and given the condition of the 72/140 I would say the following.

Here is a short review of the XS3 v Supernait 3, with the current prices.

http://www.the-ear.net/features/naim-nait-xs2-supernait-3-first-impressions

Given you have a 72/140 unserviced it might be worth a call to Darran at Class A to get a quote for a full service on these two items.

Or what you could do is sell the 140, buy a HiCap and 250 and get the 72/HiCap/250 serviced, if the HiCap and 250 require it, your 72 will require a service.

Given that was a possibility for you I would suggest that something like a 72/HiCap/250 serviced would more than likely be better than the Supernait at driving your Arcs.

Something to check on the Arcs is that the tweeters are still fine, as getting those replaced is worth it.

Hope this helps, if you want any more information you might want to PM me.

Cheers

John

If you decide to keep the 72 and go for the RSL upgrades they include remote control for under 500 quids. Keeps things up to date.

As above go for a 250 power and that should easily see off a Supernait.

Can’t argue with 72/hi-cap/250. Sees off a lot of kit. I used mine for over a decade with Arcs and then Obelisks.

I had a similar flutter a couple of years back and bought a Devialet - surely it would be miles better than the old olive Naim stuff: It wasn’t.

Chrome bumper Naim all the way

Naim Nait 1 and Nap 160 are stand out products for me being musically coherent and also sweet to listen to

I went to Black Boxes from CB. For me, and this could be just my opinion, the CB offers an edgier sound. Heaven help you if you have a weak source or poorly recorded music. They are like your old fashioned sports car, no anti skid, no traction control, just hang on and enjoy the thrills. The BB are a little more polite, but still offer an immersive experience, and are more tolerant of the source material. What you prefer is down to personal preference. And, as always, system matching is key.

Ditch the CD5i - its good with a Nait 5i, nothing higher

A 180 or 250 will provide the juice Arc's need
Same signature as a 140

Having had a plethora of Naim over the years, the one I return to most often is the delightful little Nait 2.

Reactions: TLS
That is no understament . Mark is there any bit of naim kit you haven't owned ?

Martin

Haha!! Never got very far up the current range ladder though I have heard it all including Statement fronted by our Stiletto LP12!!

For me there are some sweet spots.

Naits 1, 2 & 5

12S /160, 110 or 120

72/Hi/250 or up that with a 52

advertisement

Back