advertisement

Old LP12 & NAD 3030 found in a Barn

She went for the Ortofon 510 stylus.

There now appears to be an issue with a speaker treble unit and an intermittent output from one of the channels from the LP12.

Fortunately, the system was a gift from a dying friend and she's not bothered about sound quality so she's happy she has some background music when in the garden.
Looking at the state of those headshell leads, it is obvious that the barn environment (or perhaps her friend's basement or shed before that?) has taken its toll.

If you do decide to attempt correction of the intermittent output from the record deck, I suggest the following:
  1. Replace the headshell wires with new (a simple task using tweezers, and the wires don't have to be expensive).
  2. While the headshell leads are off, use meths on a cotton swab to clean the cartridge and headshell pins, plus the headshell to tonearm signal contacts.
  3. Using the same meths on a cotton swab method, thoroughly clean the tonearm cable RCA plugs and rings, as well the rings of the phono input sockets round back of the NAD. You may even want to sparingly use Peek or Autosol polish on these bits of metal as they are likely to be somewhat corroded by now (although they often come up clean and shiny with a bit of metal polish). A pipe cleaner is ideal for cleaning inside the RCA plug rings and the none exposed length of pin within.
  4. Make certain that all headshell lead clips fit good and tight, as well the rings round the RCA plugs (a gentle squeeze here will do, although take heed of the note below wrt tightening headshell lead clips).
NOTE: Proper headshell wires have clips that are ø1mm inside at the headshell pins end and ø1.2mm at the cartridge pins end. Those leads that don't follow this convention can be made to fit tightly at the headshell pin ends by first inserting one end of an unfolded small paper clip within (to prevent crushing) and then squeezing very gently with a pair of needle-nosed pliers.

P.S. It is possible that extreme high contact resistance in the cartridge to tonearm/tonearm to amp path is causing the treble level to be down on one channel vs the other. As such, with no other sources available with which to test further, I'd reserve judgement on the health of the speakers until such time as the deck is sorted. A simple test here is to reverse the speaker cables L to R at the amp end to determine whether the treble problem changes sides or no (i.e. problem changing sides equals loudspeaker issue, not changing sides equals issue upstream).

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed response.
Certainly, all the connections do feel like they need a clean and the headshell connector collar ring was not a clean fit like I remember them.
I'd never thought of potential rust causing impedance issues with the treble but it could be that.
The speaker cables were heavy duty, blue and rubbery - they had the ends solder finished!

A barn seems to be a bad place to play vinyl, being dusty and damp. I’d move it indoors (or sell it if it’s not needed) and replace it with a tuner or CD player.

my thoughts also. What a sad end to a decent record player. I hope the dying friend is not turning over in his/her grave. I bet some here who are aged fear what will become of their prized items when they depart for the hifi shop in the sky ( My dad once found a Leak point 1 valve amp and preamp ( gold casing) in a dump)

I'm not familiar with LP12's but I'm guessing it would still cost a bit of money to get it into an "acceptable" looking piece of kit.
I'd happily take it too and treat it as an upgrade project and run it alongside my Michell Orbe.

I had a nad 3030. Didn’t look like that though. If it had probs would still have it
There was a silver fascia and knobs version as well, and rather nice it was too.

$_57.JPG

Can you buy her a reasonable entry level TT and swap it for the Linn? It’d be less hassle and the LP 12 is just going to deteriorate further.

Stephen

I've offered to buy her a £250 turntable and I'd take the LP12. She's not interested and would rather have the cheapest option.
Keeping in mind she's about 75, I'd think the LP12 may outlast her.

I've offered to buy her a £250 turntable and I'd take the LP12. She's not interested and would rather have the cheapest option.
Keeping in mind she's about 75, I'd think the LP12 may outlast her.
As it isn't a Valhalla, you are likely to be proven correct.

Regardless, long may she enjoy her courtyard music.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back