advertisement

Old LP12 & NAD 3030 found in a Barn

dalryc

pfm Member
I live in the sticks and visited a local neighbour that lives on a farm.
She showed me her record player that she houses in a barn.
She's no idea that it was once decent kit, but it's an old LP12, NAD 3030, Ortofon driving I think some beat up KEF speakers with the number "1111" in the name (Concords?).

Is it worth getting either the LP12 or NAD restored?

jQwEx2z.jpg

TagzQie.jpg

Nice system! Certainly worth giving the LP12 a good clean and re-lube, plus polish the plinth. Looks like the baseboard has sagged, but that’s no issue. It looks like it has been kept fairly dry which is obviously a good thing. The R200 and 520 are good too assuming they are working well. I’m not actually convinced the 520 still has a tip though!

The NAD is decent, but not valuable (<£150 I’d have thought) so I’d just keep using it if it was working unless you are able to service it yourself. The Kefs should be fine.

I’d definitely get it all cleaned up as the LP12 is definitely serviceable and obviously worth money.

Thanks guys.

There is a tip on the Ortofon as I got a demo.
The stereo is facing into the barn and she listens to it outside in the courtyard.
I'll ask her if she's interested in getting it fixed up and I know her daughters are paying a visit shortly too so I'll inform them if they are up for it.

some beat up KEF speakers with the number "1111" in the name (Concords?).

I wonder if you mean these: https://us.kef.com/explore-kef/kef-museum/1970s/concord-iii-1978-80-celeste-iii-1978-80

I was given a pair of Concord IIIs. Had to replace the tweeters (which no longer tweeted) but on short Atacama stands they absolutely stomped the Mission 760is I was previously using in my second system. (Braces for massed chorus of “Well they would do, wouldn’t they?”)

It looks like it could be. I didn't get a close enough look as they were covered in blankets but they had a wrap round grey cover, no stands, and a removable top cover without a driver underneath.

The NAD3030 was my first amp. And it is waaay better than the much lauded 3020 because ... VU meters!

My first amp too! I preferred it to the 3020 on demo (and was told by the shop assistant that I was 'wrong'). In fact, the system above wasn't too far removed from my early 80's one: LP12/Basik/Ortofon VMS20; NAD 3030; Mission 710s. I have fond memories of that combo...

The Rega arm bias belt may have perished. If it is still in decent condition set it to about 1.8/2.0 and don't touch it again:)
No original belts available, although I think that there is a seller on eBay for a replacement but it looks like a real pain to fit.

like others have said, definitely worth cleaning up the LP12.

6 years ago I sold an LP12 for not a lot of money, needing a little care and attention. The cost of overhaul was more than the cost of buying one in good condition. Now I think the opposite is true. Take that careworn LP12 to a restorer and get a quote for overhaul. It may well worth the effort.

I've relocated the LP12 within the barn.
The cantilever has now been rubbed of with inquisitive fingers!
The system is staying in the barn to be listened to in the garden.
The serial number dates it the LP12 to between 1979 and 1981.
Should I replace the Ortofon 520 MKII stylus at £150, buy a new £100 Ortofon Red or suggest replacement with a £300 entry level turntable? I don't think my neighbour would be up for refurbishment.

pYsh3iY.jpg
n7v71UE.jpg

n7v71UE

A barn seems to be a bad place to play vinyl, being dusty and damp. I’d move it indoors (or sell it if it’s not needed) and replace it with a tuner or CD player.

That's a good price for the Audio Technica. I'll offer that option when I see her tomorrow - there's also the option of a cheaper Ortofon 510 rather than £520 stylus to minimise change. Radio and CDs are out of the question.

That's a good price for the Audio Technica. I'll offer that option when I see her tomorrow - there's also the option of a cheaper Ortofon 510 rather than £520 stylus to minimise change. Radio and CDs are out of the question.
Yes, I was thinking cheap, and tough as old boots too.

If you happen have a look at the business end of the plastic cantilever though a decent loupe or cheap digital microscope, you'll likely be amazed that they sound as good as they do.

A strange bird indeed:

She went for the Ortofon 510 stylus.

There now appears to be an issue with a speaker treble unit and an intermittent output from one of the channels from the LP12.

Fortunately, the system was a gift from a dying friend and she's not bothered about sound quality so she's happy she has some background music when in the garden.

advertisement

Back