Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Old hifi systems with great sounding drum kit cymbals

Discussion in 'audio' started by Guitarist 28, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

They're tiny incy little things! There;s a pair on my workshop floor and I often think how small they are when I walk past them:)

2. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

These Mission speakers are probably near 1 cubic foot volume so getting low notes with something smaller could be a challenge........
    In your situation, I would look for a floor standers speakers from Spendor for something smooth on the ears or a Proac for something more lively.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649648487-spendor-a6-speakers/

https://www.hifigear.co.uk/proac-response-d18-tradein.html

3. Guitarist 28

Guitarist 28 Active Member

I think you are indeed correct that the larger the speakers are the better the bass end will be and this will not change. The stands that they are currently on are too tall so I will get some lower stands which they should be on anyway which will stop them sticking too far up in the room.

Many thanks

4. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

Great you’ve made a system that meets your brief!

A restored A60 has been a mainstay of my system for nearly 20 years & has seen off at least half a dozen competitors in that time.

I wouldn’t say it was neutral in tone. Compared to some other amplifiers it has a warm, relatively rich sound with a welcome degree of presence that gives an illusion of depth. This contributes to a slight - but not objectionable - blurriness of individual instruments.

The A60 isn’t about hi-fi concerns like the “nth” degree of detail. It’s about making the music all of a piece as was intended by the composers, while drawing minimal attention to itself.

You can do one simple thing to make it even better: remove the output fuses and replace them with soldered links. It improves clarity and dynamics, really bringing out the best of the amplifier’s performance.

Robn and Gervais Cote like this.
  5. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

At 590 x 300 x 290 mm they're just shy of 2 cu ft, no?

6. Guitarist 28

Guitarist 28 Active Member

Yes, I believe that is the correct dimensions assuming all of the 770 models are of similar size.

I have thought about removing the output fuses but I'm concerned that if there are an amp issues that they could burn out the speakers. I do have a Velleman speaker protection kit on hand but wondered if this would alter the sound of the speakers too?

7. Durmbo

Durmbo not French

I don't use one. However, users seem to agree that the Velleman module doesn't interfere with the sound, and that it's a worthwhile safety precaution.