advertisement

Old hifi systems with great sounding drum kit cymbals

Hi All,
I'm now amazed! I have set up the old Mission 770s speakers that had new bass drivers and tweeters units fitted but NOT to the original spec., and I received help in making sure that the crossover setup was properly balanced. I have just tried them for the first time today and they are excellent. Yes, the drum kit cymbals are back again and sound absolutely tremendous. Yet again to determine this I listened to the Billy Cobham 'Spectrum' CD that I have. The A&R A60 is working well with these speakers, very neutral and well balanced and I would say that it could be a bit more defined BUT considering the age of the individual units that I have and how much I paid for them, I cannot complain at all.
The only down side is that these speakers are massive and look huge in a small room. Perhaps looking to the future and now that I have the overall sound I am seeking I could search for small speakers that can deliver the same as these - any thoughts and suggestions would be most welcome.

Best Regards

Rob

They're tiny incy little things! There;s a pair on my workshop floor and I often think how small they are when I walk past them:)

Hi All,
I'm now amazed! I have set up the old Mission 770s speakers that had new bass drivers and tweeters units fitted but NOT to the original spec., and I received help in making sure that the crossover setup was properly balanced. I have just tried them for the first time today and they are excellent. Yes, the drum kit cymbals are back again and sound absolutely tremendous. Yet again to determine this I listened to the Billy Cobham 'Spectrum' CD that I have. The A&R A60 is working well with these speakers, very neutral and well balanced and I would say that it could be a bit more defined BUT considering the age of the individual units that I have and how much I paid for them, I cannot complain at all.
The only down side is that these speakers are massive and look huge in a small room. Perhaps looking to the future and now that I have the overall sound I am seeking I could search for small speakers that can deliver the same as these - any thoughts and suggestions would be most welcome.

Best Regards

Rob
These Mission speakers are probably near 1 cubic foot volume so getting low notes with something smaller could be a challenge........
In your situation, I would look for a floor standers speakers from Spendor for something smooth on the ears or a Proac for something more lively.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649648487-spendor-a6-speakers/

https://www.hifigear.co.uk/proac-response-d18-tradein.html

I think you are indeed correct that the larger the speakers are the better the bass end will be and this will not change. The stands that they are currently on are too tall so I will get some lower stands which they should be on anyway which will stop them sticking too far up in the room.

Many thanks

Hi All,
The A&R A60 is working well with these speakers, very neutral and well balanced and I would say that it could be a bit more defined
Great you’ve made a system that meets your brief!

A restored A60 has been a mainstay of my system for nearly 20 years & has seen off at least half a dozen competitors in that time.

I wouldn’t say it was neutral in tone. Compared to some other amplifiers it has a warm, relatively rich sound with a welcome degree of presence that gives an illusion of depth. This contributes to a slight - but not objectionable - blurriness of individual instruments.

The A60 isn’t about hi-fi concerns like the “nth” degree of detail. It’s about making the music all of a piece as was intended by the composers, while drawing minimal attention to itself.

You can do one simple thing to make it even better: remove the output fuses and replace them with soldered links. It improves clarity and dynamics, really bringing out the best of the amplifier’s performance.

Yes, I believe that is the correct dimensions assuming all of the 770 models are of similar size.

I have thought about removing the output fuses but I'm concerned that if there are an amp issues that they could burn out the speakers. I do have a Velleman speaker protection kit on hand but wondered if this would alter the sound of the speakers too?

I have thought about removing the output fuses but I'm concerned that if there are an amp issues that they could burn out the speakers. I do have a Velleman speaker protection kit on hand but wondered if this would alter the sound of the speakers too?
I don't use one. However, users seem to agree that the Velleman module doesn't interfere with the sound, and that it's a worthwhile safety precaution.

advertisement

Back