advertisement

Lu's Thread

I am strictly forbidden to leave wine corks lying around where our dogs might get them, dogs can
choke on them!

Hopefully Luna has more sense than to try and eat them, can't say the same for ours!

yep one of the cats likes to chew on them until they disintegrate.

The other cat loves elastic bands. I can't keep any bands in a cupboard as he sniffs them out and goes mental. I have already had to pull one out of his mouth to stop him choking.

The other cat loves elastic bands. I can't keep any bands in a cupboard as he sniffs them out and goes mental. I have already had to pull one out of his mouth to stop him choking.

While I understand the point about corks and elastic bands and other common-place risks, I take a different view. Risk is part of life and sometimes part of death.

Fancy if Luna caught a mouse or vole out on the Bromyard Commons, swallowed it whole and chocked to death. Sad, yes but I'd rather see her run free off the lead and do her own thing than baby her. She is always on the lead to cross the road ... If Terriers were not able to chew things up before swallowing they would have died out generations ago.

Other less savvy dogs may need more help. Of course Alpacas are an alien species that most Terrier or other breeds do not have tens or hundreds of thousands of years of experience with, so greater care is needed. I was trusted with Lego from the age I could put two Lego bricks together, but nowadays it is considered a risk below a certain age. I am glad I grew up in a more carefree era.

Best wishes from George

Risk is part of life and sometimes part of death.

maybe but we have a duty of care to protect animals from what could be painful and desperate death, and stopping them ingesting an inert object we have placed in their environment.

this isn't about risk, it's about us as humans (who know better) exposing an animal to objects that will damage them.

If you are happy to do that to an animal you have formed an apparent bond with, then you are letting that animal down. Your conscious.....

Fancy if Luna caught a mouse or vole out on the Bromyard Commons, swallowed it whole and chocked

Luna would undoubtedly chew, like the cats. Their instinct to kill rodents, is to chow down on them rather than trying to swallow whole.

G&T said:

"Luna would undoubtedly chew, like the cats. Their instinct to kill rodents, is to chow down on them rather than trying to swallow whole."

Luna chews the corks to smithereens, and does not even try to eat them. Bits of cork everywhere. No obvious risk at all. More likely she will get Rabies.

Best wishes from George

I think she's a dead ringer for Bob Carolgees' Spit the Dog ..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146183770@N06/52254324199/

STVvp4Dl.png

Oh G and T, She is most fantastic little dog. So knowing, and now shows she likes proper music ...

She knows not to swallow cork ... At the moment she gets me up at five thirty! What is not to like?

Risk assessment aside we have long future between us. I am sixty one later this year and she should live another twelve or thirteen years. I bet we die within a fortnight of each other.

Very best wishes from George

Last edited:

My brother had a cat that chewed everything and loved elastic bands. Until the day he had one hanging half way out of its arse. Removing it caused quite a twang and an un-catlike yelp apparently. :D

I am strictly forbidden to leave wine corks lying around where our dogs might get them, dogs can
choke on them!

Hopefully Luna has more sense than to try and eat them, can't say the same for ours!

I would imagine dogs 'can' choke on anything they can fit in their mouth.

Great to hear, I’d only ever get a rescue in the future after our success with Sissy a rescue breeding Bichon from a puppy farm - have fun

I am trying to give Luna all sorts of nice interesting new experiences. On the way home from work we called in at The Talbot At Knightwick, which is a nice rural dog friendly pub and hotel.

As you can see she is now so happy that she behaves nicely almost always! She refrained from chatting up the numerous other dogs, which really was the point. Alright on a walk, but not every dog owner wants an unknown quantity chatting up their pooch.

She really is a remarkably quick learner.

I only stopped about twenty minutes. Next time will be easier as I shall walk down there, about three miles, so she will be quite tired to start with.

She has very nice public manners, especially for a Terrier.

Best wishes from George

IMG_1036

I am trying to give Luna all sorts of nice interesting new experiences. On the way home from work we called in at The Talbot At Knightwick, which is a nice rural dog friendly pub and hotel.

As you can see she is now so happy that behaves almost always! She refrained from chatting up the numerous other dogs, which really was the point. Alright on a walk, but not every dog owner wants an unknown quantity chatting up their pooch.

She really is a remarkably quick learner.

I only stopped about twenty minutes. Next time will be easier as I shall walk down there, about three miles, so she will be quite tired to start with.

She has very nice public manners, especially for a Terrier.

Best wishes from George

IMG_1036
52258828761_3bd9ca950c_z.jpg

You need to get posting embedded pics added to to your skillset, George. I can do it, so it isn’t hard. Not as hard as remembering a B Major scale, for example. I’ll send you a pm over a beer shortly.

Fate shines at just the right moment.

I have just been given two nice open framed but very comfortable easy chairs. Mostly chairs are very uncomfortable for me except older ones made for smaller people. I was five foot six at eighteen ...

So a chair needs to be quite shallow or else I can't sit to the back rest - that or it makes my knees hurt and calves go numb. These are perfect. One for Luna [with the throw tucked in] and one for me.

IMG_1059 by George Johnson, on Flickr

My goodness Luna was on it like a shot!

IMG_1060 by George Johnson, on Flickr

Delish!

IMG_1066 by George Johnson, on Flickr

Okay, but let's play:

IMG_1070 by George Johnson, on Flickr

Wine cork pops!

IMG_1073 by George Johnson, on Flickr

Happiness is a Patterdale with a new chair, and new cork!

IMG_1075 by George Johnson, on Flickr

Best wishes from George

advertisement

Back