advertisement

Lu's Thread

YesterdayI took Lu to be neutered. She had the classic [non-keyhole] operation, and for added safety I payed quite a bit extra for a continuous intravenous drip, which was left on her for several hours after the surgery was complete.

Obviously she was pretty out of sorts till about two o'clock this morning when she let me know she had to have a pee-break! She is not allowed to climb stairs, or be off-lead for ten days, when the stitches come out. I am taking her into the vet on Easter Saturday for a first veterinary inspection of how she healing. So far it all looks nice and dry, so fingers crossed.

She did eat a little food at two this morning, but has declined her normal breakfast at dawn.

Three pictures, the first from last Sunday at my Polish friend's house ...

20230402_154325 by George Johnson, on Flickr

Just after getting home yesterday afternoon.

IMG_1713 by George Johnson, on Flickr

And a few minutes ago looking a bit weary.

IMG_1732 by George Johnson, on Flickr

I am on full time nursing duty so that she does not lick the stitches. She still manages that flicker of excitement for a few seconds, but fortunately is being sensibly quiet.

Best wishes from George

Lu had her stitches out this morning, and was given a clean bill of health. Of course she has progressively got wilder due to a lack of off-lead excercise, but she is good to go as a wild as she likes now.

I have not posted much during her convalescence because it seemed like tempting fate. But I am so glad the operation is behind us. Last Saturday the veterinary nurse was not completely impressed with her healing after three days [which was somewhat alarming], but by next day the last signs of inflammation had gone. Because she is a black dog with quite blue skin, the scar is rather a contrast being pink, but it will all settle down now.

Best wishes from George

PS: Reflecting on Lu's convalescence, she became much more affectionate and wishing for TLC. And when it came to having the stitches out at first she was absolutely a wiggly little ball. No biting but four feet all over the place, and her claws are rather small and sharp. I calmed her down and she stuck her head onto my neck and really lent on me just whimpering. Once they were out she shrugged and stretched nicely. Not something you want to have to do often, but she has definitely not gone off the vets. Eventually animals can grow to trust you unconditionally, and that makes the bond immeasurably stronger.

Last edited:
Lu is absolutely revelling in her recovery. She has riotously played with many dog friends today, and here are two photos showing the lack of distress from the operation:

IMG_1789 by George Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_1795 by George Johnson, on Flickr

She is a rather typical Terrier being so happy by nature. It is impossible to remain negative in the company of such a gentle and kindly sentient being. Vegetarian or Vegan, she is not!!!

Best wishes from George

Tonight my daughters turned up in a somewhat " how shall we break the news " sort of mood.

My wife retired last year, plus I still work more or less full time nowadays but am looking to retire before I officially retire, so she is by herself most of the day but is very proactive in a lot of things. One member of the family died nearly 10 years ago now, a little Westie named Bonnie, we had her 17 years, she was sadly missed & it took my wife quite a while to get over it, in truth I was the same. We buried her in the garden & she has her own spot for memories to be thought about.

Well tonight George we have a new member of our family, a little Patterdale, they bought her for my wife but she has told me that I always mentioned yourself & Luna so she must have mentioned that to the girls as well, hence the breed surprise. My youngest one turned up at the door, I was obviously somewhat concerned at this unannounced visit, she was tearful & said she was here to tell us something but she needed to see how we would react, well how I would it turned out to be. The most gorgeous little Patterdale was hereby mentioned & then brought in, Willow is her name as of tonight, she is 9 weeks old & I see Luna in both her eyes & general behaviour, inquisitive, cheeky, playful, a lovely temperament & I'm sure one of the family again. We were with her for about an hour tonight, Willow is staying at the girls tonight, same as last night, break her in to her new surroundings tomorrow evening onwards.

I have a spring in my old step tonight I have to say.

I am so pleased to read your post. I have been round Terriers all my 61 years; Jack Russells, a Yorkie, a Westie, Airedales, and now Lu, like yours, a Patterdale.

Willow looks like a proper little Terrier.

Please do post here about your lovely little dog as she grows up.

Very best wishes from George

PS: EDIT. Here are two photos of Lu, taken minutes ago. It is pouring with rain here, and we got rather soaked first thing. She loves it though, wet or dry!

But she is so calm now:

IMG_1802 by George Johnson, on Flickr

and straight off to sleep:

IMG_1804 by George Johnson, on Flickr

PPS: Second addition:

Here is Josephine [on the right] and one of her pups. We called her JCB, because she used to dig carpets up!

IMG_8624 by George Johnson, on Flickr

At the time I was approaching my fourth birthday! I was already in charge of feeding the dogs!

Last edited:
Well that was an interesting overnighter.

Willow has spent her first night here & I'm sure you'll be glad to know that I was up at 5am to check on her, took her outside for business matters, all clear on that front, back in for some fresh water, then a big sleep again till whenever.

Erm no !!

At 5:30am I was trying to calm down a little ball of mischevious fluff who only wanted to play, explore, upset everything, eat anything that is best described as "plant life", chew my socks with my feet still inside, look me in the eye for the challenge, the list goes on. Around 6:30am I finally nodded off with said ball of fluff asleep on my lap, an old fart & a young pretender had had enough it seemed.

Boy, it was fun.

More to follow....

Dear Paul,

Looks like your little pup is doing the usual naughty Terrier things! It is just a question of firm but fair discipline. Here is a vid I took on Friday morning at the end of a long walk:

Three minutes long, but it is an indicator of how well behaved Lu is by now that she presents right at the end for the lead so as to cross the lane. This was achieved by the simply practice of never crossing the road without the lead, so habitual as much as anything.

Best wishes from George

Absolutely. I am not envious, but feel emotional invested in your little Patterdale, dear Paul. They are real charmers, but also properly Terriers who occasionally will remind you that they are not pretty two shoes King Charles Spaniels. But that is okay. Their quirks are what make them all more more loveable.

Beast wishes to all here, from George

They are real charmers, but also properly Terriers who occasionally will remind you that they are not pretty two shoes King Charles Spaniels. But that is okay. Their quirks are what make them all more more loveable.

Couldn't agree more George, this little one is so much fun, so much mischievousness, so much personality, it is a joy to watch over her.

This thread is a great little adventure for both Lu & Willow, one to which I am proud to be part of, wouldn't it be good if they could be human for 5 mins & appreciate what we think of them in writing.

Couldn't agree more George, this little one is so much fun, so much mischievousness, so much personality, it is a joy to watch over her.

This thread is a great little adventure for both Lu & Willow, one to which I am proud to be part of, wouldn't it be good if they could be human for 5 mins & appreciate what we think of them in writing.

Actually they don't need words as their actions indicate the kind of love for their guardian that could not be expressed in words. After a while their devotion becomes unconditional. Not even horses come close to the bond a dog can form with a human. And it is life enhancing both ways. Symbiosis is an understatement ...

So pleased for you, both.

Best wishes from George

Lu with friends working in a garden this afternoon.

IMG_1819 by George Johnson, on Flickr

The garden is looking well, and will only improve. Lu is with Woody, the half Jack Russell [half Chiwawa], and Buck, the half Greyhound, half German Shepard. Buck and Woody are both past retirement age, and Lu is a young adult, but they all love each other, and Lu works at their levels of energy and plays gently, and actually stirs them up a bit in a way they seem to really enjoy. Lu has shown from the start a sort of emotional maturity that cannot be taught. She gauges the situation so sagaciously. You cannot train that.

It is great being able to have your dog with you while you earn your crust.

Best wishes from George

We are near enough 1 week in now, things are absolutely fine, photos to follow but this little Patterdale is a joy & thanks to some advice from George is becoming her own mischievous but loveable character.

advertisement

Back