advertisement

Old Classic Movie YouTube Channel

Great idea! Regarding copyright, is there a cut-off date, in the sense that all films more than 50, 60, 70 or whatever years old are "open source," or are there other variables?

Hi everyone,I have just created an old movie channel on Youtube.

Subscribed; and kudos for doing them in Hi-Def. Most of the vintage movie content on the Tube is simply unwatchable.
t2724.gif

Great stuff! Basil Rathbone is the absolute incarnation of Sherlock Holmes, as far as I’m concerned

Dear GTV,

I have subscribed. These are films from the era I like the best. I have about a hundred DVDs of this period and older, the oldest being The First Of The Few, about RJ Mitchell and the Spitfire from 1942.

I miss-spoke. I have Goodbye Mr Chips, which is from the 1930s, I think. As well as The Thirty-nine Steps [Hitchcock directs and Robert Donat is Hannay] also from the '30s.

One of the newest is Il Postino, which is a very sad film indeed.

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
Another fab older film is:-
Witness for the prosecution.
1950's black and white, but from a time when they really knew how to make b&w work. Fantastic.

Great idea! Regarding copyright, is there a cut-off date, in the sense that all films more than 50, 60, 70 or whatever years old are "open source," or are there other variables?

Copyright for films as follows. Maybe something for the OP to consider?

"70 years after the death of the last surviving author, director, writer, or composer. If the identity of these persons is unknown then the term is 70 years from creation, or if released to the public, 70 years from being made available."

Source:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...m/copyright-notice-duration-of-copyright-term

Copyright for films as follows. Maybe something for the OP to consider?

As far as I can tell Google/YouTube is very clued-up with regards to copyright and the owners will be identified as part of the uploading process. This is certainly the case with music, and I assume similar will be true for movies. Whether something stays up there is entirely up to the copyright owner, they can ask for it to be removed, and it will be. At that point the YouTube channel will receive a copyright strike (I think if it gets to three and the channel is suspended/closed). If the copyright owner allows, as many do, all monetisation from that video or stream will go to the copyright owner. The channel owner can make nothing. This is why so many content creators are reluctant to have more than a couple of seconds of copyright music in a video that maybe lasts hours, e.g. if someone produces a two hour video about rebuilding a radio and in the final segment when it is working tunes across the dial and catches more than a few seconds of say a Led Zeppelin (who are notoriously bad in this regard) track the entire monetisation potential of that video goes to WEA/Led Zeppelin unless the creator uploads an edit with the content removed. The film industry is highly litigious so I’d expect this to be very carefully policed.

PS One thing that occurred to me is copyright isn’t necessarily a fixed time-frame, e.g. if an album or movie is remastered, has a ‘directors cut’ or whatever the copyright date will be reset, i.e. anyone uploading DVDs or whatever needs to be very careful as that is likely in copyright from the date of the digital remastering, not from the original analogue film release. This really isn’t my area of specialty, and my suspicion is the worst outcome here is the YouTube channel will be closed rather than its owner ending up in court, but I’d certainly not expect to make anything from monetisation and I’d not be surprised in the slightest if the channel vanishes.

Great idea! Thank you for doing this and letting us know.

I remember seeing "A Night at the Opera" (Marx Bros.) recently and found it very funny, beautifully scripted and timelessly appealing. A real masterwork.

I wish there were an on-line streaming service that only showed highly acclaimed classics or highly critically-acclaimed new work. One of the things that puts me off Netflix et al is wading through the endless dross. We often open it up to select a film and then give up at the bewildering array of smash-bang-wallop garbage available.

I am a Jeremy Brett fan, he defined the best Holmes as written IMO

I've heard he's very good. Rathbone was the first Holmes that made an impact on me, and especially in black and white, everything about the 40s films just seemed right. Nigel Bruce was a great foil too, just the right air of pomposity mixed with slight bewilderment. Not necessarily as written, but the pair made a great combo. I love the books as well, of course.

'Sh! The octopus' might be a fun addition to the OP's channel.

Add this to the above list please...

Children of the Damned

Children of the Damned - Wikipedia

See a group of damned children struggle to carry an enormous old multi valved monoblok amplifier, wiring and power it up, and see it shake the foundations of the old church they are squatting in, and rattles the neighbourhood, great stuff. B&W release.

Reminds me of ME. :eek: ;)

PS: My biggest valve amp is an old, "Leak Type 15" amplifier...

GEC BCS2225 amplifier. Skip find. - UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (vintage-radio.net)

If you read the text, a contributor points out that this was also based on the Type 15, mine looks very much like the pictures but is bigger as it has Leak numbered output and mains transformers added, chassis is pale grey in colour.

The valve amp in the film could also be an old Williamson, though some of them had separate power supplies on a separate chassis.

"This account has been terminated because we received multiple third-party claims of copyright infringement regarding material the user posted."

Whoddathoughtit?

advertisement

Back