advertisement

Oil firms knew at least 50 years ago...

gavreid

Pretty Words...
This is about the danger to health from particulate emissions.

“The response from fossil-fuel interests has been from the same playbook – first they know, then they scheme, then they deny and then they delay,” said Geoffrey Supran, a researcher at Harvard University who has studied the history of fossil-fuel companies and climate change. “They’ve fallen back on delay, subtle forms of propaganda and the undermining of regulation.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...industry-fossil-fuels-air-pollution-documents

Does this not open the door to suing the crap out of them with a whole raft of class action?

I have not read it, but going by comments, it sounds like tosh.
Every independent investigator, expert, whatever, dismissed particulates as being of a health concern until just a few years ago. The proposition deserves to reside with all other conspiracy theories.

Flicking through the aricle, it is confusing umpteen things and lumping them together. Mutagenicity, toxicology, and much besides. It seems to be written by a jounalist - never a great combination.

I must say that as the occasional driver of a Vintage Double Deck Bus of 1930's Design-and regular driver of modern Euro 6 Diesel and Hybrid Buses, the progress made in Cleaning up emissions is amazing.

There is still some way to go and I feel Hydrogen is the future...

This is about the danger to health from particulate emissions.

The same was known about lead in petrol, the man who pioneered it's use died from lead poisoning, though this did not prevent it's use, becoming universal.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-deadly-than-we-thought-brexit-bring-it-back

Which brave soul will stand up and say that private vehicle use is banned, because it is bad for the environment.
Electric vehicles merely push the pollution away from the cities back to the power stations.

Which brave soul will stand up and say that private vehicle use is banned, because it is bad for the environment.
Electric vehicles merely push the pollution away from the cities back to the power stations.
It's a lot easier to capture and manage emissions from one source, than from millions. Not to mention that, longer term, we can hope to achieve emission-free sources of electricity for a much greater proportion of our power needs, globally.

I have not read it, but going by comments, it sounds like tosh.
Every independent investigator, expert, whatever, dismissed particulates as being of a health concern until just a few years ago. The proposition deserves to reside with all other conspiracy theories.

Flicking through the aricle, it is confusing umpteen things and lumping them together. Mutagenicity, toxicology, and much besides. It seems to be written by a jounalist - never a great combination.
Particulates have been a matter of scientific concern and enquiry for decades. One of my friends (with a serious background (2 PhDs) in public health) has been working on the impact of all sorts of particles on lungs etc. for at least two decades, and he didn’t discover the field.

Filters don’t help so much, as the smallest particles (sub 2 micron) are the ones that create the real damage.

It's a lot easier to capture and manage emissions from one source, than from millions. Not to mention that, longer term, we can hope to achieve emission-free sources of electricity for a much greater proportion of our power needs, globally.

Though when nuclear goes wrong..

Filters don’t help so much, as the smallest particles (sub 2 micron) are the ones that create the real damage.

Like microplastics then though we ingest rather than inhale.

We could always ban such, though without plastic packaging we would not be able to to produce enough food to sustain the current global population.

Evidence today that microplastics are being passed through the placenta - in rats. I wonder just how much the chemical companies knew about this too and when

advertisement

Back