advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part XXII)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible glimmer of hope here:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/14/cross-party-group-no-deal-theresa-may-brexit-eu

With a bit of luck the tories might have sanity imposed on them.

...and another here:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ll-join-conservatives-to-block-no-deal-brexit

Our 'leaders' may be finally waking up to the fact that they have a responsibility and a duty of care to their constituents that goes beyond their own narrow self interest.

Would making these 57 studies about UK public strengthen UK's negotiating position ? Secondly, do these 57 studies exist ? My impression is that UK has been doing very little regarding Brexit.

All government departments would have to have some sort of contingency paper/plan for such a decision. One of the truly outrageously corrupt places we find ourselves in is, the PM negotiating in effect on behalf of her spouse's business interests above that of the country. Mr May has a huge share portfolio that includes Bayrock etc G4S and the Tories will undoubtedly try to replace the umpteen thousand extra civil servants needed in case of brexit with on the cheap badly trained G4S personnel.

The hopeless incompetent Chris Grayling assured us this morning that "Britain will succeed whatever happens".

The end.

That's it.

Worry not.

Britain will succeed whatever happens.

So while the doomsayers may have added nuclear scientists to their ranks, on the enemy, ooops, I mean the on other side we have John Redwood, Boris Johnson and Chris Grayling who assure us that nothing can go wrong. Brexit going wrong is essentially impossible.

It's called optimism. I can understand why you might not recognise it, it's a rare commodity in this place. ;)

You do have to wonder if this is the plan. Screw the talks up so badly that Parliament blocks it and blame the EU and assorted enemies of the people.

Works quite well; the less lunatic brexiteers get to save face, the Conservative party avoid carrying the can, voters can say 'we was robbed, it would have been fine', UKIP get their jobs back and everyone can pretend it never happened and carry on as before. Ohwer'e off to sunny Spain vivaespania! Bloody foreigners coming over here straightening our bananas, etc, etc.

Yes but this legal advice that Article 50 can be reversed any time within the 2 years: is this some bod in Ministry of Justice ? A similar bod that said Iraq war was legal ? The only opinion that matters is that of Germany/France. And would it be on same terms as before ?

It's called optimism. I can understand why you might not recognise it, it's a rare commodity in this place. ;)

Were you optimistic that Nigel and Boris could just lead us away and we could start spending that £350m on our NHS in time for the winter crisis Seeker?

Were you optimistic that Nigel and Boris could just lead us away and we could start spending that £350m on our NHS in time for the winter crisis Seeker?

No. Even thick old me knew it was a load of hoop.

My comment was aimed at the "Is it me or is everything going to shit? I hope there'll be insurrection." vibe that permeates this place.

Is that pessimism or realism?

Would we be overly optimistic to hope that it might yet be turned around?

There is a fine line between political "optimism" and lying IME.

No. Even thick old me knew it was a load of hoop.

My comment was aimed at the "Is it me or is everything going to shit? I hope there'll be insurrection." vibe that permeates this place.

We are engaged in the treacherous (soon-to-be) crime of "talking down Britain".

Anyway, I'm afraid the news just doesn't get any better...

"Britain is £490billion poorer than thought and no longer has any reserve of net foreign assets to help protect against any damage to the economy from Brexit.

The revision to the national accounts in the ONS’s so-called Blue Book means that the UK’s net international investment position has collapsed from a surplus of £469bn to a net deficit of £22bn - equivalent to a quarter of GDP.

The revised figures show the country owns far fewer international assets and owes far more to foreign investors than previously thought.

“Half a trillion pounds has gone missing,” said Mark Capleton, the UK rates strategist at Bank of America."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...reveal-uk-490bn-poorer/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

"Britain is £490billion poorer than thought and no longer has any reserve of net foreign assets to help protect against any damage to the economy from Brexit.

The revision to the national accounts in the ONS’s so-called Blue Book means that the UK’s net international investment position has collapsed from a surplus of £469bn to a net deficit of £22bn - equivalent to a quarter of GDP.

The revised figures show the country owns far fewer international assets and owes far more to foreign investors than previously thought.

“Half a trillion pounds has gone missing,” said Mark Capleton, the UK rates strategist at Bank of America."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...reveal-uk-490bn-poorer/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw

Relax - when the £350m a week starts rolling in we’ll have that sorted in 25 years.

Holy smoke and mirrors! Who's been doing the books, Tesco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back