advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+8)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick_G

pfm Member
We're in trouble, according to the NAO:

Border preparedness is a big problem, mainly down to the fact that there isn't any. In short, preparations for a 'deal' Brexit have been put aside, in order to concentrate on options for 'no deal' Brexit. But 'no deal' Brexit preparations have a snowball's chance in hell of being ready for April 2019.

The understatement is truly chilling.

#StopTheCrazyHideousAgeOfStupid

Looks like the loony Brexiteers have been neutered. Calling Mr Johnson, Davis, Mogg and Smith, the oubliette is ready for you now. Goodbye and thanks for popping in.

I may be wrong but if May gets through the 1922 meeting in tact, I think she is there. I'm a committed supporter of EU membership but I can live with being a 'vassal state' and having to have a blue passport for a decade or so. By then the current crop of old fools will be dead, the brexiteers will loose their seats and we can go back in.

I think she has 'got through' but that indicates she has promised to deliver a Brexit that makes them happy. And that is bad news for everyone else.

I may be wrong but if May gets through the 1922 meeting in tact, I think she is there. I'm a committed supporter of EU membership but I can live with being a 'vassal state' and having to have a blue passport for a decade or so. By then the current crop of old fools will be dead, the brexiteers will loose their seats and we can go back in.

Perhaps but on worse terms than we have now...

I think she has 'got through' but that indicates she has promised to deliver a Brexit that makes them happy. And that is bad news for everyone else.

Well maybe and I want none at all and for sure it will be on worse terms than we have now. But I reckon we are looking at a customs union, very limited restriction on free movement and retaining key elements of ECJ jurisdiction.

I genuinely think the public is being softened up for a people's vote between 'hard brexit' and a 'semi brexit' but plan A is to scrape it through parliament now that Johnson, Mogg et al have been stuffed.

According to a tweet from political correspondent, Jessica Elgot one conservative leaving the meeting said: "outbreak of unity... not a single dissenting voice" at the 1922. Is she safe? "Well, you look over the cliff, consider the alternative, and then think, hmmmm, perhaps not."

So we can hope.

Back in mists of time on this thread you indicated it was at least a factor.

With a nod towards the irony of it, I acknowledged that private wine buyers are able to buy wine at a far lower price than I can sell it on account of my being obliged to pay UK duty rates and VAT on top of them, but certainly never indicated that it was a factor. Perish the thought.

The wine trade is, on the whole, very anti-Brexit. Coming out of the customs union will impose yet another layer of tax, which nobody wants.

My objections to the EU are not self-interested. They revolve around the empire-building fanaticism of the EC, the progressive extraction of sovereignty from the nation states into the Brussels centre, the democratic famine and the bureaucratic, technocratic and regulatory excess, the appalling inefficiency, the arrogance, the lies, the hubris, the greed, the self-interest, the corruption and effective lack of accountability, the bullying, the iniquity, the contempt for individual and national self-determination, the contempt for the truth, the contempt for health, employment and livelihood, and the attempts at the annexation of culture.

the democratic famine and the bureaucratic, technocratic and regulatory excess, the appalling inefficiency, the arrogance, the lies, the hubris, the greed, the self-interest, the corruption and effective lack of accountability, the bullying, the iniquity, the contempt for individual and national self-determination, the contempt for the truth, the contempt for health, employment and livelihood, and the attempts at the annexation of culture.
Perhaps, ET, the tories just aren't for you?

the democratic famine and the bureaucratic, technocratic and regulatory excess, the appalling inefficiency, the arrogance, the lies, the hubris, the greed, the self-interest, the corruption and effective lack of accountability, the bullying, the iniquity, the contempt for individual and national self-determination, the contempt for the truth, the contempt for health, employment and livelihood, and the attempts at the annexation of culture.

Comedy gold. Without a hint of irony you describe HM Govt.

...the empire-building fanaticism of the EC, the progressive extraction of sovereignty from the nation states into the Brussels centre, the democratic famine and the bureaucratic, technocratic and regulatory excess, the appalling inefficiency, the arrogance, the lies, the hubris, the greed, the self-interest, the corruption and effective lack of accountability, the bullying, the iniquity, the contempt for individual and national self-determination, the contempt for the truth, the contempt for health, employment and livelihood, and the attempts at the annexation of culture.

...that aside, no real problems?

Fantasy. Sorry EV, but the myth that we have any power is just a myth.

OK, I'll rephrase it. The UK voter WILL sack the government, and it will install a new one, with new policies, and when they go tits-up (which they will) the voter will sack them and install another government, etc. etc ad infinitum.

Our democracy is tainted by a dishonest media. We appeared to have a choice in the 90s but, as others have eloquently put it, Bliar and Thatcher were two cheeks of the same arse. We have only been offered a choice when, in truth, there wasn't one. Corbyn is very different to any of the tories, Lib-Dems etc and the media are scared that he will make the rich pay their fair share. His and McDonnell's policies really do hark back but not to the 70's, more to the policies of Attlee and Bevan who served this country so well after WW2 when our debt/GDP was worse than even this govt have managed.

With a nod towards the irony of it, I acknowledged that private wine buyers are able to buy wine at a far lower price than I can sell it on account of my being obliged to pay UK duty rates and VAT on top of them, but certainly never indicated that it was a factor. Perish the thought.

The wine trade is, on the whole, very anti-Brexit. Coming out of the customs union will impose yet another layer of tax, which nobody wants.

My objections to the EU are not self-interested. They revolve around the empire-building fanaticism of the EC, the progressive extraction of sovereignty from the nation states into the Brussels centre, the democratic famine and the bureaucratic, technocratic and regulatory excess, the appalling inefficiency, the arrogance, the lies, the hubris, the greed, the self-interest, the corruption and effective lack of accountability, the bullying, the iniquity, the contempt for individual and national self-determination, the contempt for the truth, the contempt for health, employment and livelihood, and the attempts at the annexation of culture.
Go. Go howling into the night.
25ic7sj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back