advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+6)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would add that France is crippled by its own social and taxation policies, and the strength of the unions.
Now that's certainly true. "Le trou sociale" is enormous, and all the "fonctionnaires" (civil servants and public employees) fully expect to retire at 50 on 50% salary or, better, work half time for full pay from 50. No, I'm not making this up. Try taking that away and the unions would have the barricades ablaze before teatime, it would make "mai '68" look like a teenagers' house party that got a bit out of hand.

He's got quite an impressive CV.

history departments at places like harvard and stanford are the type that view history as the chronicling of military and political campaigns, especially if it is very conservative. there is little time devoted to what the 99.99% were doing. i tend to prefer what are called "social histories".

Fair enough. I think it has something to do with the numbers, but I don't doubt it's far more complicated than just numbers.

I would add that France is crippled by its own social and taxation policies, and the strength of the unions. Perhaps the great Macron will sort it all out. Some good, old fashioned supply-side reforms, and a strong shot of EU integration should sort it all out.

Weirdly though, not only are incomes higher in France, so are growth and productivity.

did you just come up with that or is it a common expression for this kind of thing?

[ much of it could also be called the "killer" model of history ]
No, it's his, all his. He was very pleased with it. Even at the time (6, 7 years ago) everyone was embarrassed for him. I think it might have done for him in the UK, actually.

Now that's certainly true. "Le trou sociale" is enormous, and all the "fonctionnaires" (civil servants and public employees) fully expect to retire at 50 on 50% salary or, better, work half time for full pay from 50. No, I'm not making this up. Try taking that away and the unions would have the barricades ablaze before teatime, it would make "mai '68" look like a teenagers' house party that got a bit out of hand.

How very ahead of the rest of the world.... Wait until AI and robots tell you when to retire.

It is symbolic that Brexit hammers the final nail into the coffin of the British Empire that died in the mud of France 100 years ago. Perhaps for the best in the (very) long run.
Our finest days is ahead of us. So say Mr.Mogg and Mr.Johnson.

Ooh, let’s stop buying stuff from them. Next time I need a new car, I’ll buy a van from Dagenham. Oh they don’t make them?...

No. Ford exported Transit van production from Southampton to Turkey, with the help of a tasty bung in the form of a cheap loan from... blow me down, the EU. Only about 1500 jobs lost in Dagenham (where they pressed the panels) and Southampton, so no great shakes, and they got some tasty payoffs.

No. Ford exported Transit van production from Southampton to Turkey, with the help of a tasty bung in the form of a cheap loan from... blow me down, the EU. Only about 1500 jobs lost in Dagenham (where they pressed the panels) and Southampton, so no great shakes, and they got some tasty payoffs.

So concern about jobs going to the EU will be helped by Brexit? You are running out of sharks to jump.

There are two economic segments in the Brexit or Bust camp. One doesn’t have a clue about what’s about to happen to them economically or thinks it’s going to make their living standards rise and the other is sufficiently padded to be unperturbed by the consequences or is prepared to pay any price to get the foreigners out of the country. Wait till you see their faces this time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back