advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+6)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly OT, but there were some wonderful climate change deniers on LBC yesterday at Drivetime. Has anyone ever made a Venn diagram including those for Brexit and denying climate change?

I think you'll find many Brexitiers are more concerned about women in burkhas than climate change.

Climate change? More project fear! Pah.

Speaking of which, don't worry about the food running out next year. Australia will ride to our rescue https://www.news.com.au/technology/...e/news-story/013ef510afc617d4d329722fc2f3ad8a

DkJvF0oW0AUNEEz.jpg

And leading nicely onwards from the construction worker above, here's the CBI take on how immigration plans won't be good for the GB construction industry.
“The new migration system must enable European workers to move swiftly and easily between working on different projects, often for different clients.

“Replicating a sponsorship model linked to an individual employer, or having to carry out a new resident labour market test each time a worker from the EU moves to work on a new project, will not meet the needs of the construction industry.”
http://www.constructionenquirer.com...onest-immigration-debate-to-keep-sites-going/

Sobering.

And despite being the same guy with two mates in a pub, even more sobering...

Why are pro-brexit people ignoring this post. Surely there are counter arguments to be made against the three lads in a pub? :) . Silence is deafening and so telling.Has the penny final dropped?

Both Brexiteers and Remain agree that UK government is incompetent according to largest dutch newspaper the other day. Brexit isn't a topic of conversation in British pubs.
Brexit fatigue "De Brexit-moeheid begint serieuze vormen aan te nemen"

Why are pro-brexit people ignoring this post. Surely there are counter arguments to be made against the three lads in a pub? :) . Silence is deafening and so telling.Has the penny final dropped?
Yeah but we’s gettin our country back. End Of (our economy and international reputation).

Last edited:
Both Brexiteers and Remain agree that UK government is incompetent according to largest dutch newspaper the other day.
Perhaps we should declare our government to be in ‘special measures’ and bring in external management from, oh I don’t know, maybe the EU?

Your own services sector is very strong, today they rescued a retailer selling it for 90 million (what a relief), assets worth 900 million (guardian mentions in same article), so yes you might need foreign services

Perhaps we should declare our government to be in ‘special measures’ and bring in external management from, oh I don’t know, maybe the EU?

Fab idea, they are after all so good at running stuff.

Youth unemployment
Greece 43%
Spain 34%
Italy 33%
Portugal 20%
France 20%

Netherlands 7%
Germany 6%

GDP growth figures for the major economies languishing at between 0.8 and 1.6%.

Eurozone inflation figures ranging from 0.9% and falling in the weaker economies to 2.3% and growing in the stronger economies.

Enormous current account surpluses in Germany and the Netherlands exacerbating the deficits in other eurozone countries.

An ever looming zombie debt and banking crisis in Italy which could bring down the Euro.

Dissatisfaction with EU policies leading directly to a sharp growth in far right, anti-EU parties throughout the EU, and in those parties now gaining power.

In 1973, when the Uk joined the EC, the EU area accounted for 38% of global GDP. In 1993, when it became the EU, it produced 25% of global GDP. It now accounts for 17% of global GDP. In 1973 the US held a 30% share of global GDP, in 1993 27%, and it accounts for 22% today. So in the same period the EU's share of world GDP has fallen by 55%, whilst it has only fallen by 27% for the US. Proof indeed of how good the EU is at creating growth.

All of these facts categorically show that the EU is fabulous at managing matters social, political and economic, so yes, great idea, let's get them in...

(though we might do better, dare I venture, to ask the Americans...)

Youth unemployment
Greece 43%
Spain 34%
Italy 33%
Portugal 20%
France 20%

Netherlands 7%
Germany 6%

...and what would those figures look like in the absence of the EU?

Ferguson’s contribution is so shallow and sycophantic that it doesn’t merit an academic title. He’s a TV ‘historian’ in the same way Sebastian Gorka is an expert on international security. Gorka wears a tin medal and Ferguson will be waiting for his from Trump.

...and what would those figures look like in the absence of the EU?

Given that EU Eurozone policy squashes the economies of the PIGS countries, and to some considerable extent France, to the benefit of Germany and the Netherlands particularly, and that EU policy imposes vast amounts of costly and restrictive regulation on businesses, well, who knows.

Trade is something best done between people and companies. Government gets in the way, heavy-handed, centralised and highly bureaucratised government gets even more in the way. Some getting in the way is societally beneficial. Too much is socially and economically destructive.

Ferguson’s contribution is so shallow and sycophantic that it doesn’t merit an academic title. He’s a TV ‘historian’ in the same way Sebastian Gorka is an expert on international security. Gorka wears a tin medal and Ferguson will be waiting for his from Trump.

He's got quite an impressive CV.

You keep saying this. I don't believe that it's true. More to the point, nor do the French peopple that I know.

Fair enough. I think it has something to do with the numbers, but I don't doubt it's far more complicated than just numbers.

I would add that France is crippled by its own social and taxation policies, and the strength of the unions. Perhaps the great Macron will sort it all out. Some good, old fashioned supply-side reforms, and a strong shot of EU integration should sort it all out.

Youth unemployment
Greece 43%
Spain 34%
Italy 33%
Portugal 20%
France 20%

Netherlands 7%
Germany 6%

GDP growth figures for the major economies languishing at between 0.8 and 1.6%.

Eurozone inflation figures ranging from 0.9% and falling in the weaker economies to 2.3% and growing in the stronger economies.

Enormous current account surpluses in Germany and the Netherlands exacerbating the deficits in other eurozone countries.

An ever looming zombie debt and banking crisis in Italy which could bring down the Euro.

Dissatisfaction with EU policies leading directly to a sharp growth in far right, anti-EU parties throughout the EU, and in those parties now gaining power.

In 1973, when the Uk joined the EC, the EU area accounted for 38% of global GDP. In 1993, when it became the EU, it produced 25% of global GDP. It now accounts for 17% of global GDP. In 1973 the US held a 30% share of global GDP, in 1993 27%, and it accounts for 22% today. So in the same period the EU's share of world GDP has fallen by 55%, whilst it has only fallen by 27% for the US. Proof indeed of how good the EU is at creating growth.

All of these facts categorically show that the EU is fabulous at managing matters social, political and economic, so yes, great idea, let's get them in...

(though we might do better, dare I venture, to ask the Americans...)
Ooh, let’s stop buying stuff from them. Next time I need a new car, I’ll buy a van from Dagenham. Oh they don’t make them? I’ll just pay over the odds for a Brompton bicycle instead. Got any turnip recipes to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back