advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+5)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not been on this epic thread much, but can I ask one thing:

Is there any chance (at all) of our withdrawing our crazy suicidal ‘leave’ plans and ‘patching up’ with the EU? Do we have any ability (legally or otherwise) to exercise the option to call the whole crazy debacle off?

....or am I just dreaming?

I remember a newsnight programme that said the UK civil Servant who helped write up Article 50 inserted a 'revoke at any time' clause

With Davis, Baker and now Johnson gone, is it too early to speculate on whether there will be a vote of confidence?

Johnson can now run for leader when May’s ousted, and he can now help to oust her.

Of course the former means he has to believe Brexit will be a success, and he must know it’s not going to be.

I remember a newsnight programme that said the UK civil Servant who helped write up Article 50 inserted a 'revoke at any time' clause

It is not clear if Article 50 could be revoked. The final arbiter on that would be the ECJ.

It certainly is possible for the two year period to be extended, were all 28 member countries in favour of that.

I’m absolutely sure that the EU would rather have the UK back and would do whatever was necessary, if the UK government formally applied for revocation. Of course, there would be a price to,pay!

It is not clear if Article 50 could be revoked. The final arbiter on that would be the ECJ.

It certainly is possible for the two year period to be extended, were all 28 member countries in favour of that.

I’m absolutely sure that the EU would rather have the UK back and would do whatever was necessary, if the UK government formally applied for revocation. Of course, there would be a price to,pay!

No, it was stated that it could easily be withdrawn at any time
Here is something about it

The man who wrote Article 50, Lord Kerr, the UK’s former ambassador to the EU, also resurfaced again to reiterate how it’s possible to reverse course. Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today program, he said:

At any stage we can change our minds if we want to, and if we did we know that our partners would actually be very pleased indeed. The Brexiters create the impression that is because of the way Article 50 is written that having sent in a letter on 29 March 2017 we must leave automatically on 29 March, 2019 at the latest. That is not true. It is misleading to suggest that a decision that we are taking autonomously in this country about the timing of our departure, we are required to take by a provision of EU treaty law.

Davies went because he had the carpet pulled from under his legs in terms of the UK bargaining position. Johnson went because Davis bailed out and he, as one of the most prominent Brexiteers, couldn't remain (geddit?). They both had their chance before the Chequers statement was issued to come out strongly against last Friday's agreement, but both declined. Would Tory backbenchers really risk everything for the sake of these two eejits? My guess is some of them would, but how many?

It's not entirely clear if she misspoke, but it may be that we won't get any EU reaction this week...

"Christopher Hope‏Verified account @christopherhope
BREAKING Theresa May tells MPs Brexit White Paper will be published "next week". Not this Thursday, as had been planned."

:eek:

And when asked about any specific element of Brexit, May says it is to be discussed. When the Dover MP is concerned that's there no progress on the lorry park? May says it will now be stepped up. 263 days to go and we are nowhere.

May is simply doing a stiff upper lip act. There are now enough Tory MPs for a leadership challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back