advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+4)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raab is a gift to those who want to convert working class leavers. Here's a paper he authored in 2011, making an explicitly anti-worker case for further deregulation of the labour market:

https://www.cps.org.uk/files/reports/original/111114155257-escapingthestraitjacket.pdf

And there's more: Britannia Unchained, co-authored with several other complete bastards from the 2010 intake:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Unchained

Includes this classic:

Caused quite a fuss at the time although I have no memory of it. Everyone should now learn that quote by heart though.

Three of the five authors have been Ministers, and one is vice chair of the Tory party policy. Deeply worrying.

It won’t happen. Corbyn doesn’t want us in the EU and forming policy on the basis of what party members want only seems to apply when they agree with him.

Meanwhile we have a government that can’t even agree amongst itself supposedly negotiating with the EU. It’s going to get worse, much worse.
Uninformed prejudice.

How about something relevant to the current possible situation and up to date, as this possibly would be
https://news.sky.com/story/theresa-may-asks-treasury-for-brexit-analysis-11424409
I believe most of the long term analysis has already been completed (in the link I provided) but I agree it will be useful to update it (e.g. to cover the option "agreed" last week) and an analysis of the short term impact will also be valuable. I believe MPs should have a meaningful vote on the final deal and that they should have access to the best information available when they do so.

What a cowardly incompetent shit 'Mince' is. He has been trying to get out of the job for months. Now he is claiming to have principles while in fact running away from the mess he created.

I believe most of the long term analysis has already been completed (in the link I provided) but I agree it will be useful to update it (e.g. to cover the option "agreed" last week) and an analysis of the short term impact will also be valuable. I believe MPs should have a meaningful vote on the final deal and that they should have access to the best information available when they do so.
I believe we should have a meaningful vote on the deal and should have access to the best information when we do. You know, like in a democracy. Or maybe you'd place MPs competence above an informed electorate?

UKIP leader Gerard Batten has written to Theresa May:

DhqG-XwW0AEnewk.jpg:large

She's finished!

What a cowardly incompetent shit 'Mince' is. He has been trying to get out of the job for months. Now he is claiming to have principles while in fact running away from the mess he created.
It’s that combination you very occasionally see (because they usually get rooted out quickly in a business) - arrogance combined with breathtaking incompetence. We have two international laughing stocks now.

UKIP leader Gerard Batten has written to Theresa May:

DhqG-XwW0AEnewk.jpg:large

She's finished!
I’m sure she’ll take no lessons from Racist in a wig Batten. He too will very soon be out of a job once he gets his account closed down in Brussels. He could just about manage a Gammon drop in centre in Romford.

So. Farewell then, David. A huge loss to the country. Will we ever see his like again?

"By the time he started as Brexit secretary, it was not even clear that Davis understood that the Republic of Ireland was a separate country. "One of our really challenging issues will be the internal border we have with southern Ireland," he told Sky's Murnaghan programme in July 2016. This seemed so staggeringly ignorant that it could not possibly be accurate. Viewers maybe presumed he'd misspoken. But then he went on: "We are not going to go about creating other internal borders inside the United Kingdom"."
This is exactly the case he was making on the Today programme this morning as he dismissed an October deadline for the end of talks and said they could go down to the "last minute".
This is his great and final mistake, his one last piece of ignorant over-confidence. It is also the one which could still drive us over the cliff edge. The EU are not bluffing. A chaotic British exit is to be avoided, but it is not as bad as carving up the single market - the very engine of the European project. Davis has not understood this. Nor has he understood, even after all this time, that Britain's lack of customs and regulatory infrastructure puts it in a weaker position than the EU when it comes to no-deal. He is a man on a bicycle playing chicken with a lorry."

http://politics.co.uk/blogs/2018/07/09/david-davis-in-the-end-there-was-nothing-behind-the-swagger

I believe we should have a meaningful vote on the deal and should have access to the best information when we do. You know, like in a democracy. Or maybe you'd place MPs competence above an informed electorate?
We live in a representative democracy and, overall, I'm happy with that, but I'm not totally opposed to the idea of putting the final deal to the electorate as a whole. However, it would have to be carefully managed or it would be presented (rightly) as an attempt to reverse the original vote by people who never accepted it in the first place. Some remainers have not helped their cause by their arrogance and their contempt for that vote (and the "thick racists" who had the temerity to disagree with them) from day one. I would not be dismayed if such a vote were to occur but I'm not inclined to push for it because I feel deeply alienated by the attitude of some remainers.

So. Farewell then, David. A huge loss to the country. Will we ever see his like again?

"By the time he started as Brexit secretary, it was not even clear that Davis understood that the Republic of Ireland was a separate country. "One of our really challenging issues will be the internal border we have with southern Ireland," he told Sky's Murnaghan programme in July 2016. This seemed so staggeringly ignorant that it could not possibly be accurate. Viewers maybe presumed he'd misspoken. But then he went on: "We are not going to go about creating other internal borders inside the United Kingdom"."
This is exactly the case he was making on the Today programme this morning as he dismissed an October deadline for the end of talks and said they could go down to the "last minute".
This is his great and final mistake, his one last piece of ignorant over-confidence. It is also the one which could still drive us over the cliff edge. The EU are not bluffing. A chaotic British exit is to be avoided, but it is not as bad as carving up the single market - the very engine of the European project. Davis has not understood this. Nor has he understood, even after all this time, that Britain's lack of customs and regulatory infrastructure puts it in a weaker position than the EU when it comes to no-deal. He is a man on a bicycle playing chicken with a lorry."

http://politics.co.uk/blogs/2018/07/09/david-davis-in-the-end-there-was-nothing-behind-the-swagger
A touching appreciation - that brought brexitears to my eyes - of this gifted and misunderstood man.

We live in a representative democracy and, overall, I'm happy with that, but I'm not totally opposed to the idea of putting the final deal to the electorate as a whole. However, it would have to be carefully managed or it would be presented (rightly) as an attempt to reverse the original vote by people who never accepted it in the first place. Some remainers have not helped their cause by their arrogance and their contempt for that vote (and the "thick racists" who had the temerity to disagree with them) from day one. I would not be dismayed if such a vote were to occur but I'm not inclined to push for it because I feel deeply alienated by the attitude of some remainers.

It's all very honorable, yet the flip side of the coin is that some remainers probably feel alienated by the complete lack of urgency and apparent lack of comprehension around how much this is going to hurt us all. It's certainly true that this entire debacle has created divisions.

That whole article. Ouch.

"Look particularly at his laugh, that false-bonhomie mirth he brings to every encounter to smooth over the cracks. There is nothing behind the smile. There is ultimately no real jocularity. It's the empty laugh of a clown - it is there to create an impression, not because he found something funny. That's why these images of Davis in summits look so jarring. Very often he is the only person laughing in them. Quite often it is because he is laughing at what he has said." :D

DE7QpNuW0AAKfAv.jpg

I

I agree and I think it is looking increasingly likely some form of second vote will happen in the end, ideally a GE. If not I really don't think our current crop of political leaders have the ability to manage it with any degree of sensitivity.

I also agree that the language of remain has to change not so much here but in the wider public conversation. I also genuinely think that when the Labour Party are elected they will address the underlying concerns driving the leave vote. I don't have any sympathy for the middle class conservative Brexit voter and look forward to the squealing when not only are they 'betrayed' on Brexit but they get to pay for cleaning up the mess that drove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back