advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+4)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davis says he resigned because the Chequers deal would leave Britain in a weak negotiating position. It's already weak, in large part because of his own blundering and laziness but also handing in A50 with absolutely no clue on the specifics, just the slavish general support of people didn't want to understand the detail of what is really involved.

Then there are the contradictons of Brexit itself. There is no way of avoiding economic harm in the short to medium-term, which is why it's been fudge, fudge and more fundge. The obvious implications of businesses relocating or laying off employees, once again made clear by major companies as recently as last week, is wilfully ignored by the Rees-Mogg gang and others who profit from shorting the economy.

This latest compromise will certainly mean limiting Britain's ability to do non-EU trade deals - as if those are made easier by Trump's arrival and the fact that no major trader will give the isolated UK better terms than it gives us as EU members. It will also mean watering down curbs on free movement so beloved of some Leavers, but it stands a better chance of getting agreement from the EU.

What remains crystal clear to anyone who really looks, is that neither a no-deal or a Chequers compromise is as beneficial as where we started from.

BBC bod: "A minister tells me: doesn't matter if more quit, DD has always struggled with his brief, seen as not on top of it and intellectually challenged by the process"

As mince.

I wonder if he resigned because he couldn't actually understand the white paper?

Delighted as I am at this, and the tremendous loss to public life that this resignation represents, situations extrapolated from it are not IMHO universally positive...though in a weeks time like the other tory resignations, it will be largely forgotten. So the clock is already ticking for brexiteer exploitation. What'll pop up (I use the expression advisedly) first?
Pop uppage...
Beaten to it by Mogg, Bernard Jenkin manages a half boner...
Jenkin stopped just short of calling for Theresa May to go, but he was scathing of her Brexit plan and suggested she was intent on reversing the result of the referendum.

He said: “The establishment and the government is in the grip of remainers. And they seem to refuse to accept the EU referendum. They have deliberately extended the uncertainty for as long as possible and that is now hitting investment.

“They have never pushed back on any of the guidelines that the EU has published. So there has not really been any negotiation, there’s only been submission.

“What we have here is the elected politicians trying to overturn the result of the referendum with the support of the European Union.”

Jenkin added:

There has been a massive haemorrhage of trust in the last few days because in all my meetings with the prime minister, I never expected this to be the result. And I never expected the vicious briefing against Eurosceptics in the cabinet to take place as it has done.

There needs to be a rebuilding of trust and I think that trust can only be rebuilt on the basis of the policy that was reflected in Mrs May’s original speeches, not in this hybrid proposal ... All the way through in this document there is a specific reference to the European Court of Justice. So if our courts or our parliament deviates from what the European Court of Justice and the Commission wants, it says there will be consequences.

So clearly we going to have to carry on being a kind of fax democracy which is the worst of all possible worlds.

This isn’t cabinet government and if the prime minister thinks she has consent and support from every member of her cabinet she is deluding herself, as we have just seen.

He added that if May did not reform her Brexit plan “I fear for our country and I fear for this party.”

Davis' resignation is big news across Europe. Top story https://www.lemonde.fr/ & http://www.faz.net/aktuell/

Rumours from Beth Rigby that the new Brexit secretary could be Chris Grayling. Calamity for sure if he gets it. Other names suggested include Gove and Fox.

"The UK has become so ludicrous because the issue of the EU is so deeply felt by a significant part of the body politic. The Brexiters are the Jacobins of UK politics. Their ideological intensity has devastated the Conservative party and reduced British politics to its present shambles. There is, as a result, neither a comfortable exit from Brexit nor a plausible way of managing it smoothly. Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad. So it now is over Brexit." https://www.ft.com/content/bf0025aa-6720-11e7-8526-7b38dcaef614

Hopefully Liam Fox next.
Sly Fox has been invisible of late- he’ll fall in behind Johnson if he goes, hoping for a better position at the Buffoon’s new court. Mind you he has some serious crawling to do when Trump’s circus arrives this week. Fox will be key to cracking open the NHS and other assets as part of any trade deal with the Anus.

Davis' resignation is big news across Europe. Top story https://www.lemonde.fr/ & http://www.faz.net/aktuell/

Rumours from Beth Rigby that the new Brexit secretary could be Chris Grayling. Calamity for sure if he gets it. Other names suggested include Gove and Fox.

"The UK has become so ludicrous because the issue of the EU is so deeply felt by a significant part of the body politic. The Brexiters are the Jacobins of UK politics. Their ideological intensity has devastated the Conservative party and reduced British politics to its present shambles. There is, as a result, neither a comfortable exit from Brexit nor a plausible way of managing it smoothly. Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad. So it now is over Brexit." https://www.ft.com/content/bf0025aa-6720-11e7-8526-7b38dcaef614
If Greyling is appointed you would have to suspect the hidden agenda if fcuckup, as with Davis's initial appointment. Come on ET, where are those conspiracy theories now?

The Brexit clown car is now minus the Double D tit as the driver.
The substitute bench is scarily devoid of any form of competence...

And yet even the most radical Greek Government did not want to leave the EU.
What they did want is someone to blame for their own profligacy on excessive government jobs and salaries/pensions. It should be no surprise to anyone that is difficult to repay loans if the money is not used for income generating projects/infrastructure.
Might help if they looked inwards and collected some taxes from the guys with swimming pool villas and yachts too.
So the easy devaluation route of yesteryear is not available any more. I'm sure some Greeks are quite happy about that and may even keep their money in Greece.
Plus if Greece were to leave the EU and Euro, it would be much more difficult to get your money out of the country. The Greeks know this.

That this man ever got the gig. Un-freaking-believable.

“We’ve got a pretty good idea of what the economic interests are of every single member state … Germany, Austria, Holland and Czechoslovakia are all without governments at the moment so this is not top of their tree."

DhpUY0iX0AAPq-Y.jpg

Chris Grayling? If he can't make trains run from St Albans to Tooting, why would you think he could manage Brexit?

The problem the Tories (and for that matter Labour) have is no one with any intellect or real-world credibility supports Brexit. Just look at the pool May has available to select from! If one wants to implement an idiotic decision in the face of all logic the chances are idiots are all one has to work with...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back