advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+4)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delighted as I am at this, and the tremendous loss to public life that this resignation represents, situations extrapolated from it are not IMHO universally positive...though in a weeks time like the other tory resignations, it will be largely forgotten. So the clock is already ticking for brexiteer exploitation. What'll pop up (I use the expression advisedly) first?

^ Hopefully a trickle becomes an avalanche.

He's taking Brexit Minister Steve Baker (who?) with him....

and the usual suspects are tweeting their approval & support. Speculation rising for a leadership challenge.

Stop flattering him!:)

For a while, long before Brexit, I viewed Davis as one of the better Tories as he was prepared to stand against the authoritarianism inherent to the party and argue for civil liberties etc. Since then he really has shown himself to be thick as mince, lazy as a toad etc! I’m amazed he survived so obviously lying about the government reports which highlighted the economic mess of the various Brexit scenarios.

Delighted as I am at this, and the tremendous loss to public life that this resignation represents, situations extrapolated from it are not IMHO universally positive...though in a weeks time like the other tory resignations, it will be largely forgotten. So the clock is already ticking for brexiteer exploitation. What'll pop up (I use the expression advisedly) first?
First up
Jacob Rees Mogg tells me: “This is very important. It raises the most serious questions about the PM’s ideas. If the Brexit Secretary cannot support them they cannot be very good proposals. It was an attempt to bounce the cabinet. It was a seriously mistake.”

For a while, long before Brexit, I viewed Davis as one of the better Tories as he was prepared to stand against the authoritarianism inherent to the party and argue for civil liberties etc. Since then he really has shown himself to be thick as mince, lazy as a toad etc! I’m amazed he survived so obviously lying about the government reports which highlighted the economic mess of the various Brexit scenarios.
Yes. that's when he should have resigned.

I’m amazed he survived so obviously lying about the government reports which highlighted the economic mess of the various Brexit scenarios.

The committee which, having heard the evidence, had to decide whether he’d lied voted on it. It comprised a majority of Tory/DUP members, all of whom voted to say that he hadn’t lied. So, despite everyone on the committee who wasn’t Tory/DUP voting to say he had lied, he was acquitted.

TL;DR: He survived through abject corruption.

If May is going to get her soft Brexit through, she needs to face down the Tory Brexidiot faction. Davis is just the start, expect more resignations and a leadership challenge soon. if she wins that comfortably, then she can move forward with her plan. If she loses, then all bets are off as to what happens. chaos for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back