advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+4)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Prime Minister Gove be able to solve the food, petrol & medicine crisis and prevent the 2019 economic collapse of the UK? Unfortunately not. He won't.

"European governments are advising businesses not to use British parts in goods for export ahead of Brexit, Sky News has established.
In its advice rolled out to all Dutch businesses, the Dutch government has told its exporters that "if a large part of your product consists of parts from the UK" domestic exporters may lose free trade access under existing deals.
The advice says: "Brexit will have consequences for exports outside the EU.
"After Brexit, parts made in the UK no longer count towards this minimum production in the European Union.

A leading car industry executive told Sky News that not using UK parts for EU exports would be a "catastrophe" for the British industry.
"The hard Brexiteers have built a bomb under the UK automotive industry and the EU have lit it," said one chief executive.
https://news.sky.com/story/amp/euro...-of-brexit-11395908?__twitter_impression=true

Stephen-Collins-17-March--001.jpg

The prison camp guards are tryin to punish us again,

xm0bxu.jpg

Chin up! We’ll all whistle the theme tune from The Great Escape.

Overall the UK vinyl record industry is fearful for the future re Brexit.

"It's tremendously frustrating that we are celebratory of our music being international and yet thanks to our idiot right-wing government they are messing with our international operations.

"We have had our records pressed in Germany for many years and we have a political situation incoming that is going to make that even more complicated, long-winded and more expensive."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44202942

Newsnight suggested that there has been a shift in Labour’s Brexit position tonight in that they now seem to be insisting on full tariff-free access to the EU Trade Area. That’s pretty much a ‘remain’ stance unless they are relying on magic unicorns. Good. As I’ve said all along if they start properly opposing Tory Brexit I’ll likely vote for them (I refuse to endorse or help enable Brexit in any way whatsoever).

"Frictionless" magic unicorns. And inelastic pieces of leprechaun.

Adrian travels on a train that averages 30 mph and Brian follows him on another train one hour later that averages 50 mph. If they both plan meet up at a station where both trains arrive at the same time, how many train crew will fail to turn up to drive the trains?

Newsnight suggested that there has been a shift in Labour’s Brexit position tonight in that they now seem to be insisting on full tariff-free access to the EU Trade Area. That’s pretty much a ‘remain’ stance unless they are relying on magic unicorns. Good. As I’ve said all along if they start properly opposing Tory Brexit I’ll likely vote for them (I refuse to endorse or help enable Brexit in any way whatsoever).
I think that may be an optimistic reading of the situation. The commentaries I have heard suggest that all this will achieve will be to scupper a solid vote in favour of the HoL amendment seeking EEA membership (because Labour MPs will be whipped to vote for this non-starter proposal instead). In other words a late and ineffectual intervention in the debate, which will serve only to wreck one of the few potentially valuable initiatives in play.
ML

Reactions: PsB
I think that may be an optimistic reading of the situation. The commentaries I have heard suggest that all this will achieve will be to scupper a solid vote in favour of the HoL amendment seeking EEA membership (because Labour MPs will be whipped to vote for this non-starter proposal instead). In other words a late and ineffectual intervention in the debate, which will serve only to wreck one of the few potentially valuable initiatives in play.
ML

Yes, in my opinion it is simply weasel words from Corbyn in an attempt to stop a rebellion. Tony, don't trust them until then come out and specifically say they will campaign to stay in SM and CU, you will be disappointed otherwise.

Labour is in a very difficult position over Brexit. I'm a remainer wholeheartedly but in the North East where I live (a Labour stronghold) most voted leave. But Labour will always protect jobs and incomes of workers and if the leave deal threatens that red line, I'm sure you'll see a change in stance.

I'm pretty sure Corbyn's team is delighted with the mess the Tories are making of things. Even ardent and hysterical opponents of Corbyn the Commie will now be thinking "he couldn't do any worse"

Yes, in my opinion it is simply weasel words from Corbyn in an attempt to stop a rebellion. Tony, don't trust them until then come out and specifically say they will campaign to stay in SM and CU, you will be disappointed otherwise.

Could we be like Norway? Or Switzerland? Because I'm sure we were told we could be. But I think we can't now. Oceania. We have always been at war with Oceania. And good news about the chocolate ration!

Starmer was on Radio 4 today promoting his version of May's 'cake and eat it' relationship. 'Norway plus'.

Give me strength.

Stephen

But Labour will always protect jobs and incomes of workers and if the leave deal threatens that red line, I'm sure you'll see a change in stance.

The threat you describe is clearly visible now, and has been for quite some time - so when exactly will the stance be changing?

Labour is in a very difficult position over Brexit. I'm a remainer wholeheartedly but in the North East where I live (a Labour stronghold) most voted leave. But Labour will always protect jobs and incomes of workers and if the leave deal threatens that red line, I'm sure you'll see a change in stance.

I'm pretty sure Corbyn's team is delighted with the mess the Tories are making of things. Even ardent and hysterical opponents of Corbyn the Commie will now be thinking "he couldn't do any worse"
Labour used the nationalised industries as a political tool. They failed to invest and modernise and essentially kept them starved of investment, whilst denying them the facility to seek outside investment. They then proceeded to keep outmoded and inefficient plants open long after they should have been closed down. All this was done too protect the jobs of a workforce that could no longer compete in the market.
Anyone who was around at the time will remember the bloody awful service supplied by British Rail, GPO telephones, British Gas and the CEGB. And anyone who had any dealings with the NCB or British Steel will affirm that they were ramshackle, sclerotic and vastly inefficient organisations.

They still have that core instinct. I cite Corbyn's suggestion that we build the Trident replacement, but then do not arm it with missiles. A totally stupid suggestion made purely to placate the unions.
Chris

Starmer was on Radio 4 today promoting his version of May's 'cake and eat it' relationship. 'Norway plus'.

Give me strength.

Stephen

Quite, more bollox.

The EU will never accept anything like this. Remain supporters who are increasingly in the majority will never accept this. Labour Ex Kippers wouldn't accept it. So who is kidding who?

If he wants to win he must show distance between Labour and the Tories, with a brave solution or two. This fudge is actually worse than May's. It means nothing to anyone and offers no leadership.

ML
Yes, this appears to be the prevailing analysis that I’ve seen, too.

"Frictionless" magic unicorns. And inelastic pieces of leprechaun.

Adrian travels on a train that averages 30 mph and Brian follows him on another train one hour later that averages 50 mph. If they both plan meet up at a station where both trains arrive at the same time, how many train crew will fail to turn up to drive the trains?
Question 2. Using appropriate statistics, explain why this is the fault of European immigrants, the Labour Party, or both.

Quite, more bollox.

The EU will never accept anything like this. Remain supporters who are increasingly in the majority will never accept this. Labour Ex Kippers wouldn't accept it. So who is kidding who?

If he wants to win he must show distance between Labour and the Tories, with a brave solution or two. This fudge is actually worse than May's. It means nothing to anyone and offers no leadership.

Leave voters are constantly saying they are not xenophobes and didn't vote that way because they hate immigrants, so the 'Norway option' is a real compromise after the referendum—providing we implement the free movement restrictions we already have available.

Brexiteers are now trumpeting the 'Swiss minus' option!

Stephen

Adrian travels on a train that averages 30 mph and Brian follows him on another train one hour later that averages 50 mph. If they both plan meet up at a station where both trains arrive at the same time, how many train crew will fail to turn up to drive the trains?[/QUOTE]
That’d be
1) The one’s they haven’t employed yet
2) The ones they haven’t trained yet
3) Those on leave
or
4) Those delayed driving or passengers on other “services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back