advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+3)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not clear that a second referendum would reverse the outcome- the polls have not moved since the original vote. I think that is more depressing than the original referendum result itself because it shows that Brexit, like Trump has become a cult.

The polling is basically telling us a combination of 1) people don't like to admit they were wrong and 2) People still think we can have the sunny uplands full of unicorns Brexit. A second referendum would be conducted with no practical way for Leave to hide all the obvious problems and Remain could just go on and on about how everyone will be worse off and there is no solution in Northern Ireland. Oh and we'd have to build our own satnav system.

I don't think there will be a second referendum though. I think we will end up with EEA/EFTA getting narrowly passed and everyone will hate it and agree we just did a monumentally stupid thing to ourselves

And I still have no idea what Labour's policy is. Taken at face value the six tests mean we cannot leave and they must vote against again possible deal.

I can't understand why people who thought the first referendum was a spectacularly bad idea would be interested in holding a second one. Most voters have not become much more knowledgeable about the complex web of legal, constitutional, trade and assorted regulatory issues that one needs to understand to have an informed opinion. This is what MPs, parliamentary commissions, subgroups etc. are for.
It strikes me that the majority of MPs of any political stripe, do not understand the consequences of leaving, beyond the slogans of ‘take back control, Leave means Leave, £850m a week for the NHS and the will of the people’.

Does anyone remember Boris’s Trumpian brain fart?- calling for the building of a cross channel bridge to France. No doubt that would take the pressure off the motorway to Dover by providing lorry parking beyond the border. I suspect the feasibility study is still with Carillion.

I can't understand why people who thought the first referendum was a spectacularly bad idea would be interested in holding a second one. Most voters have not become much more knowledgeable about the complex web of legal, constitutional, trade and assorted regulatory issues that one needs to understand to have an informed opinion. This is what MPs, parliamentary commissions, subgroups etc. are for.
This is why the polls aren’t moving, in case you’re curious.

Maybe. The UK is still in the EU, most of the wheels are still on the bus, and the whole thing is a pain in the neck. Why worry?
Other possibilities:
- polls are inaccurate (many of the latest polls show the Conservatives ahead of Labour in a GE, and a poll in April showed that 8 out of 10 LP members oppose the LP leadership and think there should be a second referendum. Those can't be right, can they?)
- some polls indicate the opposite of what you state: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...um-vote-leave-remain-swing-poll-a8371451.html

It appears that the Italian president has decided that the will of the people = the will of the stupid and therefore vetoed their plans accordingly. Unfortunately for the UK it seems that the Queen is a DM reader.

Thanks for posting that. My old home town and sad to see. The have long abandoned any national development planning and are leaving large sections of the country to rot.

Pritty Patel, the disgraced Overseas Development Minister, sacked for unilaterally conducting foreign policy without reference to the real Foreign Secretary, is calling for an investigation into Remain campaign spending. No doubt desperate to rehabilitate her tarnished reputation.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...investigation-remain-campaign-spending-brexit

Best wishes to a Pritty on her long slow ascent of the greasy pole second time round. Hint- remember the Israeli Defence Force is not a legitimate destination for U.K. foreign aid. Foreign aid is usually designed to save lives.

I read that earlier today. A reversion to Thatcherism where London and parts of the South East boom and the rest of the country is consigned to the bin. If Labour cannot ride this to an easy victory in the next general election then Corbyn will have to go.

When many of them have been conned into thinking that leaving the EU is the answer, rather than placing blame where it belongs. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Gleefully ignoring (or ignorant of) the fact that Switzerland has to accept free movement of people and is a member of EFTA.

These Brexiters really are a bunch of fcuking idiots.

As you say, Switzerland has free movement of people and also is in EFTA, but in addition is part of Schengen, none of which would be acceptable to Hard Brexiters.

in addition, the frictionless customs they refer to in the article is no such thing, you should see the queues of trucks at the border on the motorway going into Basel, often it tails back for many km. As someone who works in CH, I can assure everyone that it is a real ball-ache to get stuff imported from the EU and we are also screwed by distributors who slap a big mark-up on goods from the rest of the EU.

They really do live in a fantasy land.

Just for clarification the first referendum was in 1975, the second was in June 2016.

I've no doubt there will be a third referendum at some point in the future, perhaps in another 41 years.

You're dreaming mate !

We've voted, the result is in, get over it you bunch of remoaning remainiacs :)

If you don't like it I suggest you all p1ss off and live in France or somewhere equally un-democratic !

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back