advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+3)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently reading up on the influence of the European Round Table of Industrialists, actually! It would appear that all these member companies have separate lobbying personnel in Brussels also. I wonder why this is necessary, surely the Round Table would only need one representative lobbyist in Brussels.

That goes without saying. How on earth could there be anyone of a higher calibre than you?

Are you brilliant at everything?
Brilliant at nothing unfortunately. I am not trying to put myself on a pedestal, rather I am trying to take people at the DTI off theirs.

You don't know me at all, and it seems you are building up a picture of me that is miles off the mark. I'm not arrogant, I'm not comparable with a paedophile and I'm not brilliant.

Scanning the business pages this week.

Increased trade deficit (hardly reported).

https://www.standard.co.uk/business...pite-the-pound-being-14-cheaper-a3785966.html

The construction downturn, the first drop in rail passenger numbers for years, crashed consumer confidence, car sales down every month, numbers in the services sector heading to Frankfurt increasing, tariff lunacy by the orange one, UK growth behind the EU and falling etc. It's looking a bit like project fear.

Not an encouraging picture. Even less so considering where we were prior to this mess. A dose of honesty from Hammond on Tuesday would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. More likely a blanket to cover another Tory assault on public services masquerading as necessary 'correction'. This is going to be ruinous for many people, the fact that a lot of them voted for it won't bring them much comfort and certainly not the rest of us.

Brilliant at nothing unfortunately. I am not trying to put myself on a pedestal, rather I am trying to take people at the DTI off theirs.
Rich, you strike me as someone who systematically overestimates their own abilities while underestimating abilities of others. It’s a personality style that tends to...ahem....get the owner into trouble. To assert there was no one better than you in an entire ministry is, shall we say, eyebrow raising.

This is going to be ruinous for many people, the fact that a lot of them voted for it won't bring them much comfort and certainly not the rest of us.

as the man said...if you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

Rich, you strike me as someone who systematically overestimates their own abilities while underestimating abilities of others. It’s a personality style that tends to...ahem....get the owner into trouble. To assert there was no one better than you in an entire ministry is, shall we say, eyebrow raising.

OK, let me add something. I was a distinctly average researcher in industry, working on jobs with Tesco, Unilever, Pepsico etc before going to the civil service. Most people I met I thought were more talented than me. In fact, I sometimes felt intimidated by some of them, they were so sharp and fast at processing and interpreting data we presented to them.

Meanwhile this European Round Table of Industrialists is fascinating...seems they have been writing reports about what should happen and the EU is doing a copy and paste job on much of what is written.

Weatherspoons?? Aren't they well known for zero hours? The Jeremy HHHHHunt show, hasn't that imposed a wage cut on it's staff for the last 8 yrs, as well as changing contracts, reducing job grades, enforcing overtime, reducing higher grades and spreading work among grades below? This is Tory Britain but let's blame the EU while we get our sovereignty back.

2afwg7c.jpg

Cheap pints, dirt cheap wages. Pull another one Mr. Brexit Mullet.

You don't know me at all, and it seems you are building up a picture of me that is miles off the mark. I'm not arrogant, I'm not comparable with a paedophile and I'm not brilliant.

I never compared you to a paedophile. I presented an analogy. Don't say I've done things I haven't.

Are you aware of the phrase "self praise is no recommendation?"

As for YOU saying you're not arrogant I'd respond with "well, you would say that wouldn't you?"

Your arrogance is within this thread in huge, embarrassing dollops. Others have commented on it. The fact you can't see it is not my concern.

You say I've built up a picture that's miles off the mark. I've built up a picture of you, the only way I can. I've done it with the evidence I've been presented with. By you. Perhaps you could consider why I came to my conclusions?

You've got that wrong. I said the same and I'm wrong. It follows that you are.

Via the Twitters we can see the government's Brexit impact studies:

DXxhVdhXkAAk15f.jpg:large

DX2KWQdX4AAY7pC.jpg:large

"I fought tooth and nail for months to get the Government to release the Brexit impact studies. I go on Twitter and they're right there on my timeline. What do they show? That hard Brexit is economic suicide. We will be poorer. Any free trade deal will never make up for lost trade" https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/971758704063340544

"David - in all the years I have been an economist I dont think I have ever seen a document showing potentially more disastrous outcomes - which would be made even worse if there was a hard NI border. It is the equivalent of choosing to impose the Great Depression on the UK" https://twitter.com/D_Blanchflower/status/971764021547425794

Note these figures *do* include the impact of Liam Fox's Kimchee deal with North Korea.

My goodness the North East is going to get hammered. What on earth are the Tories playing at?

someone, somewhere needs to stand up to all of this nonsense.

There is some Karma at work in that the places that voted for Brexit will be the hardest hit. As was perfectly obvious 2 years ago and mentioned many times on here: but that was Project Fear :rolleyes:

It makes you wonder what the hell the Government are playing at

i think most people (here at least) know what the 'government' is up to. it's an exercise in self-survival, where the best interests of the country are playing second fiddle to the best interests of the hard right in the tory party. the sheer criminality of the likes of davis lying, repeatedly, to the house and the country at large, about the impact analyses among other things, is swamped only by the idiocy of the electorate at large. the only compensation, if there is any, is that the electorate is likely to be getting many years during which they can reflect at leisure on their choices.

My goodness the North East is going to get hammered. What on earth are the Tories playing at?

someone, somewhere needs to stand up to all of this nonsense.
Interestingly, London swill not suffer so much. Considering they have lots of eu-esque organisations there that are supposed to be upping sticks with thousands of staff, how is it are they seen to be able to weather the storm that well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back