advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+25)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is fascinating though how EV can argue with an Irishman (tonerei) about the economic and political realities of...err....living in Ireland. It reeks of old colonial condescension. Ireland has thrived away from the orbit of England and is set to take the title of anglophone gateway to the EU which can only attract even more giant U.S companies to Dublin. Which makes the proposition by some Tory ministers a year ago, that the border problem could be solved by Ireland joint Brexit Island in leaving the EU, all the more ludicrous. Like the wife beater wanting the ex-wife to move back in.

I love the self-righteous sanctimony, liberally laced with the hypocrisy of a pro-independence Scotsman who preaches the dictum of anti-independence in the most scathing and belittling terms, and then tells me that I am condescending for arguing with tonerei (an Irishman) who is arguing with an Englishman (abeit one with a hefty dose of Irish immigrant blood) on a thread which is primarily devoted to the economic and political realities of err....living in England.

By what set of measures is one prohibited from arguing with anybody about anything that they might mutually consent to, the consent itself stemming from the fact that they are commenting on this thread in the first place?

By what set of measures is one prohibited from arguing with anybody about anything that they might mutually consent to, the consent itself stemming from the fact that they are commenting on this thread in the first place?

Potentially the aup, common sense, good sense, etc.

For e.g. if argument goes to "personally insulting statements".

Even if the statement is true!

I am the very model of a non-Brexit Mancunian

I’d dearly love to keep right on being a Europ-pe-e-an

We’d Boris stall and build a wall rivalling that of Hadrian

T’would also serve the purposes of keeping out the gammion

And then perhaps secede and become capital of Irel-land

Which would the population of that little country higher, and

Enable it to get even more largesse from Brussels

And give the little land proportionately much more muscle

(And give the little land proportionately much more muscle

And give the little land proportionately much more mu-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-uscle!)

And maybe this could finally promote some Irish unity

And who knows? Bring in Nicola into EU Community!

In short, in matters EU (not to mention some pecuniam)

I shall sing it every morning

I shall sing this on the tram to Media City. Which is the new Clapham Omnibus.

Eh no it wasn't a deflection I would have thought it a reasonable question to ask. You pick Ireland between 1937 and 1972. An unmitigated insular disaster. Languishing in poverty ruled and dominated by the catholic church. De valera's approach kept us in the dark ages.He held Ireland back. One could argue because of what we came through over the previous 100 years he took the correct approach and kept us out of WW2 but the country was backward and completely undeveloped. That is a startling choice but you have answered the question. Maybe you are not trolling just a person caught with a desire for nostalgia. I wouldn't subscribe to that.The world moves relentlessly on. BTW De Valera liked himself a lot!

Every country isn't on a different planet. Argentina. Brazil is still riddled with poverty. Most of South America is still struggling. Lots of poverty still in Asia.

The figures completely support what joining the EU has done for Ireland. We did ourselves in with weak regulation and a Fianna Fail government that still believed it could do the boom bust cycle, devaluation trick and not have sustainable tax policies. The EU because of the likes of the UK holding back integration did not or could not ensure proper oversight in our banks/lending institutions.

The Celtic Tiger years stretch from mid nineties to 2008. Most of the growth occurred post 2000 when the euro kicked in. It would be incorrect to suggest the celtic tiger roared on a floating exchange rate. Full employment occurred circa 2005.

Re the Fishing fleet the Irish and English for some unearthly reason didn't understand the value of fish. We just did fish and chips or maybe salmon with boiled potatoes. The Europeans always knew the value. Look there are myriad reasons to rail against the EU and feeling there are injustices but the majority of people in Ireland have benefited with EU membership. We have become more educated or society is multicultural with no colonial baggage. We have gained a march in techlogicial and science areas. We have been clever with corporation taxes. Farming thrived under the EU. Of course there have been failings. But I am unaware of a better alternative to the path we took. The only dreadful mistake which I agree is catastrophic was the crash and subsequent saddling of debt. If we had a sensible government at that time that put caps on borrowing it wouldn't have been so bad. But it is what it is and we like all the other countries have to get on with it and see what happens.

Trying to understand your points it seems you want all nations to become insular again. Maybe it will happen if resources become scarce but for now size matters. Ireland is nothing on its own. We are a dot on the earth.

I didn't bother to answer it because it is a deflection, and absurd. However, since you clearly won't give up, how's this for a stab, at least in response to the question of a democracy that can live up to the name. Forget the utopia cobblers. It clearly isn't the European Union, which is not merely undemocratic, but quite intentionally so, all the worse because of the cynical theatre of democratic credential. How about the Republic of Ireland between 1937 and 1972, as we're on that topic. An albeit imperfect PR voting system, and a constitution based upon the premise that sovereignty and law reside with the people, so that any proposed changes to the constitution have to be referred to the people at referendum. Had the UK had such a system, it is very unlikely that we would be where we are now. Sadly, Ireland's populace was hoodwinked by successive generations of Europhile politicians, career diplomats, civil servants and journalists, and seduced by the European cash-cow, into surrendering that hard-won if short-lived democratic independence. It is now merely a colony of Brussels, governed by Brussels puppets, and its democracy is effectively a sham. De Valera, who is widely believed to have voted against accession in 1972, is quoted as having said on the eve of accession 'I am the first and last President of an Independent Irish Republic'.

Every country on the globe is 'on a different planet' (?) to the 1960s and 70s. Take China, for example, in which the EU has been responsible for lifting multiples of millions of people out of poverty. Or the US, where the EU has been responsible for creating the most dynamic economy on earth, or Brazil or India, where everyone would still be living in huts on stilts in the Ganges and Amazon if it weren't for the EU.

It is highly questionable that the EU has brought 'huge prosperity' to Ireland. The figures don't support it, and the combination of the banking and Eurozone crisis brought the country to its knees, and left it with massive debts repayable to the Troika at scandalous interest rates. The Euro has been an unmitigated disaster for the Republic, and will continue to be so. Ireland's 'Celtic Tiger' boom was underpinned by a floating exchange rate in addition to the notorious low interest rates and banking incontinence, and its current prosperity is due to the government's favourable tax strategems, which have been very effective at attracting US multinationals. Those tax advantages are under severe threat from EU tax harmonisation intentions and indeed requirements, and the proposed EU digital tax surcharges.

Oh, and when did Ireland 'get out from the stranglehold of the UK'? 1922, or 1937? There was half a century between 1922 and 1972! Or are you referring to the fact that Irish (not British) policymakers, of their own free will, pegged the Punt to Sterling from 1922 to 1979 at what was often an unsuitable rate for the Irish economy?

The fact that the fishing fleet was underdeveloped then is immaterial. All that matters is that Ireland surrendered its fishing waters to pillage by the very well developed French & Spanish fleets in 1972. I haven't checked, but have read that Eurostat figures show that Irish waters would have yielded a value of multiples of all of the cash that the country has received from German, French and British taxpayers since 1972 had they been retained by Ireland. The mistake your government (and ours) made was to surrender those waters to the EEC.

People keep patronising me with this 'as we've all pointed out to you time and again' cobblers. I don't give a ff what people choose to point out to me if what they're pointing out is palpably wrong. What you have just pointed out is palpably and demonstrably wrong.

Last edited:
It is fascinating though how EV can argue with an Irishman (tonerei) about the economic and political realities of...err....living in Ireland. It reeks of old colonial condescension. Ireland has thrived away from the orbit of England and is set to take the title of anglophone gateway to the EU which can only attract even more giant U.S companies to Dublin. Which makes the proposition by some Tory ministers a year ago, that the border problem could be solved by Ireland joint Brexit Island in leaving the EU, all the more ludicrous. Like the wife beater wanting the ex-wife to move back in.

Strange choice by ET alright. I have never heard the view he expressed having any traction here. I lived through the seventies and eighties and it was only then we started making small headway. Oil crisis, Cold war, NI conflict, massive emigration as there was no jobs. Hummus, Babaganoush and falafel's in the early to mid-nineties was like a discovery of a new universe :)
I don't ever want either myself or my children to have to go back to that time. I remember also the poverty we lived in the sixties. Going to school with a pair of trousers barely hung together. That is ET's potential Utopia o_O

Yet for posting matters patentable and some of them political;
While remainng always personable and genial -
You are the very model of the essential modern Liberal.

(Bravo, Tones, for some much needed relief - as ever.)

Strange choice by ET alright. I have never heard the view he expressed having any traction here. I lived through the seventies and eighties and it was only then we started making small headway. Oil crisis, Cold war, NI conflict, massive emigration as there was no jobs. Hummus, Babaganoush and falafel's in the early to mid-nineties was like a discovery of a new universe :)
I don't ever want either myself or my children to have to go back to that time. I remember also the poverty we lived in the sixties. Going to school with a pair of trousers barely hung together. That is ET's potential Utopia o_O
Ireland's undoubted progress as an EU member will be as nothing when it shares the benefits which will transpire with Boris' (and ET's?) promised Golden Age...No really...

Ireland's undoubted progress as an EU member will be as nothing when it shares the benefits which will transpire with Boris' (and ET's?) promised Golden Age...No really...

I hope so but there will be rough times ahead if the worst of brexits occurs. A lot of sectors are exposed to the UK. If we go back to De Valera's time only the bare necessities will be purchased. That harms a lot of ordinary people on both sides of the Irish sea. No impact for BJ. Therein is the problem. If his money/security was on the line he would not be so reckless.

I hope so but there will be rough times ahead if the worst of brexits occurs. A lot of sectors are exposed to the UK. If we go back to De Valera's time only the bare necessities will be purchased. That harms a lot of ordinary people on both sides of the Irish sea. No impact for BJ. Therein is the problem. If his money/security was on the line he would not be so reckless.
The DM, Telegraph, The Sun et al will revel in the schadenfreude- expect articles claiming “the Irish have only themselves to blame, this is their reward for treachery, the EU can’t help them now, they should have left along with Britain”. They’ll take the view that making others suffer the pain of Brexit will be a handy distraction from the pain suffered by Brexit Island and from the incompetence of the Tories.

I really should have used the "I'm being a sarcastic bastard" emoji there...:)

Eh no it wasn't a deflection I would have thought it a reasonable question to ask. You pick Ireland between 1937 and 1972. An unmitigated insular disaster. Languishing in poverty ruled and dominated by the catholic church. De valera's approach kept us in the dark ages.He held Ireland back. One could argue because of what we came through over the previous 100 years he took the correct approach and kept us out of WW2 but the country was backward and completely undeveloped. That is a startling choice but you have answered the question. Maybe you are not trolling just a person caught with a desire for nostalgia. I wouldn't subscribe to that.The world moves relentlessly on. BTW De Valera liked himself a lot!

Every country isn't on a different planet. Argentina. Brazil is still riddled with poverty. Most of South America is still struggling. Lots of poverty still in Asia.

The figures completely support what joining the EU has done for Ireland. We did ourselves in with weak regulation and a Fianna Fail government that still believed it could do the boom bust cycle, devaluation trick and not have sustainable tax policies. The EU because of the likes of the UK holding back integration did not or could not ensure proper oversight in our banks/lending institutions.

The Celtic Tiger years stretch from mid nineties to 2008. Most of the growth occurred post 2000 when the euro kicked in. It would be incorrect to suggest the celtic tiger roared on a floating exchange rate. Full employment occurred circa 2005.

Re the Fishing fleet the Irish and English for some unearthly reason didn't understand the value of fish. We just did fish and chips or maybe salmon with boiled potatoes. The Europeans always knew the value. Look there are myriad reasons to rail against the EU and feeling there are injustices but the majority of people in Ireland have benefited with EU membership. We have become more educated or society is multicultural with no colonial baggage. We have gained a march in techlogicial and science areas. We have been clever with corporation taxes. Farming thrived under the EU. Of course there have been failings. But I am unaware of a better alternative to the path we took. The only dreadful mistake which I agree is catastrophic was the crash and subsequent saddling of debt. If we had a sensible government at that time that put caps on borrowing it wouldn't have been so bad. But it is what it is and we like all the other countries have to get on with it and see what happens.

Trying to understand your points it seems you want all nations to become insular again. Maybe it will happen if resources become scarce but for now size matters. Ireland is nothing on its own. We are a dot on the earth.

I still can't quite work out why you felt it such an important question to ask, but never mind. I note that once again you have attributed to me notions of utopia, which I've already rejected.

Your response to my question has picked up not on those basic principles of democracy as enshrined in the Irish Constitution and to which I expressed admiration, if that is the right word, but in the manner in which the Irish ran their affairs in the terms of de Valera's austere catholicism, and in the malign power of the Catholic church. However, it does perhaps go some way to explaining the rather myopic, unquestioning Europhilia which characterises your outlook, and more widely, that of the Irish press and political establishment. I recall travelling across Ireland in about 1974 to buy a horse in Galway, and at times it was like driving the through the set of Ryan's Daughter. It was certainly austere, and I have recollections of cold, damp hotels and boarding houses, as well as of alternately either very hostile or very friendly, welcoming towns, villages and communities. It might be borne in mind that at the time Ireland was already a member of the EEC.

Yes, much of the world is still riddled with poverty. Perhaps you think the rest of the world should join the EU.

The Celtic Tiger did indeed roar most loudly after the Euro came in. The unsuitably low interest rates, geared to the requirements not of Ireland but of Germany and France, 'made the boom boomier' (Ahern?), foreign money flooded into the banks who abandoned all of their former principles of fiscal discipline and lent recklessly into the overheating property market, the ECB turned a resolutely blind eye, and the boom turned to bust in 2008. The government had guaranteed the country's banks, which directly precipitated the EU troika bailout two years later, and the ensuing austerity regime imposed by Brussels and Berlin. In a post of a couple of weeks ago (and again here) you placed the blame entirely upon the banks (and I note now the UK for 'holding integration back'), and the government's failure to introduce sufficient regulation, when in fact the culpability for the depth and breadth of the crisis lies directly with the government's decision to join the Eurozone in 1999. Had a sovereign government retained control of interest rates, and the currency had been able to float on the world markets, the crisis could have been to some degree mitigated. Instead Ireland went from having full employment and a strong economy in 1999 to losing 10% of its GDP (14% of GNP), 200,000 people to emigration and aquiring what remains the highest debt per capita in the EU, and amongst the highest in the world. The Euro has been an unmitigated disaster for the country, and it will be again.

The figures don't support 'what joining the EU' has done for Ireland. Average annual growth of 4.4% in the 13 years prior to accession fell to 1.5% in the period 79-86. GNP figures actually show a retraction in that latter period. Sure, the country has been a beneficiary EU largesse in the form of German, French and British taxpayers cash which has undoubtedly softened the blow, but I would suggest that Ireland's more recent economic transformation and growth has been largely due to your 'cleverness' with corporation tax and what amounts to progressive supply-side reforms, not the EU. Indeed, tax Irish corporation tax policy contravenes the EU's policy and wishes, and is likely sooner or later to be challenged. I would suggest that when the forthcoming global economic train crash happens, it will be sooner.

Fishing - you may well have been confined to cod & chips, but Spaniards and Frenchmen weren't, which is why they have been so happy to hoover up your fish. Had you retained control of your fisheries, you could instead have sold the fish to them. Farming thrived...mmm, big farming did, for sure, as the CAP favours big farmers. A scheme to support dairy farmers that tapered off with size had to be abandoned when the country joined the EEC.

I find it very difficult to understand how you can assert that Ireland has shed its 'colonial baggage' when it has effectively rendered itself a colony of Brussels, where, dare I say, it has very substantially fewer voting rights than when it had representatives in the British parliament prior to 1922. I accept that history judges Britain's association with Ireland in the most malign terms, but I fail to see that your new colony status is as benign as your wishful thinking might render it. Two thirds of Ireland's trade in both goods and services is not with the rEU, but with the rest of the world, primarily the Anglosphere in the form of America, Canada and the UK, and as with us, the stasis-ridden EU is progressively decreasing as a proportion of that trade. Your economic cycle sits more closely with the US/Canada/UK, language and system of law derive historically from the UK. EU intransigence over Brexit, which has been very effectively whipped up by Mr Varadkar, is threatening to throw the UK out of Europe's orbit into that of the US, where is is likely to stay. You seem to be one of the already pretty diminutive and ever shrinking consituency that advocates full union of the EU countries. I may well be wrong, but I am far from convinced that that is the right thing to be wishing for, but you never know, with the UK no longer holding integration back...

I recall travelling across Ireland in about 1974 to buy a horse in Galway, and at times it was like driving the through the set of Ryan's Daughter. It was certainly austere, and I have recollections of cold, damp hotels and boarding houses, as well as of alternately either very hostile or very friendly, welcoming towns, villages and communities. It might be borne in mind that at the time Ireland was already a member of the EEC.
You are Tobias Smollett (like you he found the natives disagreeable at times).

Yes, much of the world is still riddled with poverty. Perhaps you think the rest of the world should join the EU.
....a pause to simulate empathy .

I accept that history judges Britain’s in the most malign terms
Well a million starved to death and another million fleeing for their lives is rather unfortunate. Isn’t it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back