advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+23)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the MEP's said in the two part Brexit program 'the deal makes the UK the EU's first colony'.

You think the UK is a ‘colony’ of the EU?

Apart from that being absolutely insulting to those previously colonised, perhaps you could point out where the EU has come to the UK, stole all our resources and land and raped women and children then enslaved the people to enrich themselves.

Words matter.

What a ludicrous statement.

Stephen

The major Eurozone economies are teetering on the brink of recession, or already in one. If the UK goes into recession on the back of no-deal exit, those major EU economies (not to mention the problems that will beset Ireland) are going to be looking at a potentially sharp reduction in the €80bn odd trade surplus they enjoy with the UK, which should combine nicely with the loss of however many €billion the UK pays into the EU in membership fees to create a pretty unpleasant shitstorm. Italy will default and spin out of the Euro, the banks will brew up, the Target2 chickens will come home to roost, and the whole stinking pile will come crashing down. We are all going to be in for a very rough ride.

Alternatively, the EC could climb down off of its ideological high horse, and start talking shop.
Two things from this: firstly, if this happens, it will render the entire EU and UK hugely vulnerable to the rapacious instincts of the USA, China and Russia. So be careful what you wish for.

Secondly, do you not think that maybe the UK coming to the table with a) not even the first ****ing clue what it wanted and b) not just with a list of things it didn't want (aka 'red lines') might have contributed to the problem? How do you negotiate in good faith with a party which knows what it doesn't want, but not what it does? To this observer, the EU has behaved like a grown up, dealing with a wilful and petulant child. We don't deserve the respect and patience we have been afforded, yet you claim they are the ones on the ideological high horse, unwilling to talk shop? I'm sorry, EV, but for goodness sake, try as I might, I really can't see it how you see it.

Two things from this: firstly, if this happens, it will render the entire EU and UK hugely vulnerable to the rapacious instincts of the USA, China and Russia. So be careful what you wish for.

Secondly, do you not think that maybe the UK coming to the table with a) the first ****ing clue what it wanted and b) not just with a list of things it didn't want (aka 'red lines') might have contributed to the problem? How do you negotiate in good faith with a party which knows what it doesn't want, but not what it does? To this observer, the EU has behaved like a grown up, dealing with a wilful and petulant child. We don't deserve the respect and patience we have been afforded, yet you claim they are the ones on the ideological high horse, unwilling to talk shop? I'm sorry, EV, but for goodness sake, try as I might, I really can't see it how you see it.
I can’t wait for part 2- Bojo’s circus goes to Brussels.

Secondly, do you not think that maybe the UK coming to the table with a) not even the first ****ing clue what it wanted and b) not just with a list of things it didn't want (aka 'red lines') might have contributed to the problem? How do you negotiate in good faith with a party which knows what it doesn't want, but not what it does? To this observer, the EU has behaved like a grown up, dealing with a wilful and petulant child. We don't deserve the respect and patience we have been afforded, yet you claim they are the ones on the ideological high horse, unwilling to talk shop? I'm sorry, EV, but for goodness sake, try as I might, I really can't see it how you see it.

It did know what it wanted, everything for nothing.

I can’t wait for part 2- Bojo’s circus goes to Brussels.
It's going to be great, folks. Just great. Absolutely great. Boris is going to fly in on a zipwire, release on landing, tell Brussels what's going to happen, tariff free trade, open borders (but no darkies) and that's it. He's going to just get it done. Get it done. That's it. Just great.

It's going to be great, folks. Just great. Absolutely great. Boris is going to fly in on a zipwire, release on landing, tell Brussels what's going to happen, tariff free trade, open borders (but no darkies) and that's it. He's going to just get it done. Get it done. That's it. Just great.
I wonder if (I hope) that the BOJO for PM is not a done deal?

I sure think pretty much everyone on this forum believes the tories have been incompetent. I’m puzzled why you would suggest otherwise.

The problem with Brexit is not how it’s handled but that it’s a shit idea in the first place.
It doesn’t matter if it’s a shit idea, the referendum happened and we all know the result. How the negotiations were handled then became vital.

Unless you believe the EU is impossible to negotiate with, it is clear the UK did not handle the negotiations well and that is the problem.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a shit idea, the referendum happened and we all know the result. How the negotiations were handled then became vital.

Unless you believe the EU is impossible to negotiate with, it is clear the UK did not handle the negotiations well and that is the problem.
I don't disagree with this, in general, but it's not just about how the negotiations were handled, and nor should it be. It's also (and, perhaps more importantly) how the domestic politics was handled in the aftermath. And in that, the Tories failed even more abjectly than they did at the EU negotiations. Which is saying something.

You think the UK is a ‘colony’ of the EU?

Apart from that being absolutely insulting to those previously colonised, perhaps you could point out where the EU has come to the UK, stole all our resources and land and raped women and children then enslaved the people to enrich themselves.

Words matter.

What a ludicrous statement.

Stephen
As i have stated previously, the comment was made by an MEP referring to Mays deal during the 2 part program following Verhofstadt.
Colony:
a country or area under the full or partial political control of another country and occupied by settlers from that country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back