advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+2)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good explanation on the Italian election here for those like me who are a bit hazy on the details.

I've been in and out (been to the rEU, by golly), and I may have missed it, but we are now 2 days into the ever so slightly calamitous Italian election result, and there doesn't seem to be a single mention of it on this thread, or indeed on the forum.

Should I assume pfm's many-shaded resident EUphiles are collectively holding their hands over their ears and singing 'LA-LA-LA!', loudly, or is there something else going on?
My worry is that this could make Juncker put his EU plans back in the drawer, Barnier et al will become less arrogant and the whole EU objective will morph into something reasonable and something we should be part of. Then we'd have to reapply.

My worry is that this could make Juncker put his EU plans back in the drawer, Barnier et al will become less arrogant and the whole EU objective will morph into something reasonable and something we should be part of. Then we'd have to reapply.

Just imagine if Cameron had gone to the EU not with "these are the concessions we want" (I assume he was told that the UK wasn't implementing the powers it had anyhow) but rather "These are the ways we think the EU needs reform. Discuss this or we leave."

We threw away our most important negotiation position before we'd even started. Incompetence at its best.

Stephen

Just imagine if Cameron had gone to the EU not with "these are the concessions we want" (I assume he was told that the UK wasn't implementing the powers it had anyhow) but rather "These are the ways we think the EU needs reform. Discuss this or we leave."

We threw away our most important negotiation position before we'd even started. Incompetence at its best.

Stephen
Strength in numbers, though. I imagine they have been in meetings non-stop since the Italian results, discussing how to improve their image to member states.

'Cake and eat it' Brexit is currently being killed by the EU as we speak. Brexit will not be a success.

Tusk: “Our agreement will not make trade frictionless or smoother; it will make trade more complicated. This is the essence of Brexit.”

A "pick and mix approach" to Brexit is "out of the question".

"I fully understand and respect Theresa May’s political objective: to demonstrate, at any price, that Brexit can be a success and is the right choice. But, sorry, it's not our objective."

Comment No.1 under the article. It is a beautiful city but was probably safer in 1576 to walk around in.
Absolutely. I love the place, but you have to be very careful. There is a world of difference between the Centro Storico and some of the streets off Piazza Garibaldi where I've been very aware that I was alone after dark. It's one of the few European cities where I divide up my valuables and have a "thief wallet" with enough money, cards and general crap in it to be plausible while keeping other stuff in my boot.

'Cake and eat it' Brexit is currently being killed by the EU as we speak. Brexit will not be a success.

Tusk: “Our agreement will not make trade frictionless or smoother; it will make trade more complicated. This is the essence of Brexit.”

A "pick and mix approach" to Brexit is "out of the question".

"I fully understand and respect Theresa May’s political objective: to demonstrate, at any price, that Brexit can be a success and is the right choice. But, sorry, it's not our objective."

further: "He said it would be the first time in history that a free trade agreement would "loosen, not strengthen economic ties"."

the tories should be prosecuted for the extensive damage they are doing to the country. and that creature may should be the first in the dock. willfully and knowingly driving us down. what a w1tch

Blyth seems to rate chances for an all populist government a little higher. If they manage to form a all populist coalition I do not think their own action to leave euro or EU is the most interesting.

the uk is and has been like a spoilt kid, full of wants and little sense of responsibility. i can imagine that the eu is heartily sick and tired of us by now and just wants the whole fiasco to end, so that may and her crew can sail off into the sunset, taking their specialness and their deepness with them. fox will be trotting round the globe offering specialness and deepness wherever he goes, to all and sundry. but barring a few arms deals with people we really ought not to be dealing with, i can't see that his approach is going to do very much for our economy as it continues it's dive down to the ocean floor. the last time this happened, the ship was called the titanic and it was the orchestra who played on...

The UK post Brexit and the USA with Dotard have finally thrown in the towel. Smoke and mirrors only work for a while. They just cannot compete with Germany, Japan and China and will hide behind self-damaging trade barriers or short-term deals.
When the Japanese car/motorbike industry started it produced rubbish but they studied the problems and changed the products. In the end all of us are consumers that want quality and/or cheap prices.
The world does not owe the UK anything. Scary days ahead.
Some never stop talking about how messed up countries like Italy are, well Italy exports more than the UK.

The exodus has started.

Goldman Sachs moving staff at short notice https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...CN1GJ1L7?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Euroclear moving HQ to Brussels http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...ls-financial-services-uk-latest-a8243771.html

And Trump is doubling down on his trade war: "Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump
The U.S. is acting swiftly on Intellectual Property theft. We cannot allow this to happen as it has for many years!"

It's not really what the likes of Davis and Johnson and Fox and Gove, and May, promised would happen, is it?

Call them up and say you want to change your vote to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back