advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+2)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in and out (been to the rEU, by golly), and I may have missed it, but we are now 2 days into the ever so slightly calamitous Italian election result, and there doesn't seem to be a single mention of it on this thread, or indeed on the forum.

Should I assume pfm's many-shaded resident EUphiles are collectively holding their hands over their ears and singing 'LA-LA-LA!', loudly, or is there something else going on?

there is not a lot so say until a government is formed and policies are agreed upon.

Why not start a thread about it if you are so interested in discussing it?

The olde “we got out of the burning building in the nick of time” chestnut? Looks like UK car manufacturing is checking the fire exits as we speak.

I'll just put my version of facts here. As far as I recall, Boris did not mention figures, but he did say there were more people living in Australia than in Europe. I believe this is correct. Most sources claim 1.2-1.3 million in Australia and under a million in the EU.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...sthereonbritishmigrantslivingineurope/jan2017

I can't be bothered to engage more at the moment. just pointing out PFM's often tinted view on reality. Boris may be a twat but I don't think he said anything particularly shaky about this quite interesting point. And the point is more interesting than the figures. Even if it was 900,000 in Australia vs 1.3 million in Europe, it says a lot about how most Brits regard Europe.

Your version of facts? WTF. That is the most arrogant and nonsensical thing I've ever read.

Here is how it really is sunshine. There are facts and opinions. I'm interested in facts. Your opinions are neither here nor there though they do confuse me.

Should I assume pfm's many-shaded resident EUphiles are collectively holding their hands over their ears and singing 'LA-LA-LA!', loudly, or is there something else going on?

It's 'LA-LA-LA!' for me. If the EU falls because of nationalist xenophobic right-wing parties taking control of their Governments, we're f&UkRD in or out of the EU.

Still, it's what a lot of you want to happen.

Stephen

I've been in and out (been to the rEU, by golly), and I may have missed it, but we are now 2 days into the ever so slightly calamitous Italian election result, and there doesn't seem to be a single mention of it on this thread, or indeed on the forum.

Italy can, and has, functioned perfectly well without a strong Government. Perhaps it is actually the preferred result.
The anti-immigration vote is understandable in a country with half a million illegal immigrants and some sort of solution does have to be found to it.

Italy literally plucked drowning migrants from the sea and is supporting vast numbers of them, while a certain other country welched on its public commitment to take refugees. So to stand back and luxuriate in the difficulties Italy and the EU face from this human calamity, seems rather disgusting. It is the Ukip/ white ethnic nationalist way Im afraid.

Italy literally plucked drowning migrants from the sea and is supporting vast numbers of them, while a certain other country welched on its public commitment to take refugees. So to stand back and luxuriate in the difficulties Italy and the EU face from this human calamity, seems rather disgusting. It is the Ukip/ white ethnic nationalist way Im afraid.
I was in Naples 18 months ago and the number of migrants living on the streets is staggering. Around Piazza Garibaldi, the railway station area, there are hundreds. In the past there were very few, you just didn't see them. While I was there the Police had an armoured car parked outside the station 24 hours and armed police patrolling the area. I'm not surprised people are getting a bit concerned as to how to handle this.

Your version of facts? WTF. That is the most arrogant and nonsensical thing I've ever read.

Here is how it really is sunshine. There are facts and opinions. I'm interested in facts. Your opinions are neither here nor there though they do confuse me.
Ok to all of that except the arrogant bit. Why is it arrogant?

I was in Naples 18 months ago and the number of migrants living on the streets is staggering. Around Piazza Garibaldi, the railway station area, there are hundreds. In the past there were very few, you just didn't see them. While I was there the Police had an armoured car parked outside the station 24 hours and armed police patrolling the area. I'm not surprised people are getting a bit concerned as to how to handle this.
Before the migrants arrived, Naples could have done with an armoured car outside the station. Last time I was there (during another infamous mafia-ordered refuse collection strike) I saw two guys shooting up herion on the concourse and ten min later two of us were mugged with violence on the pavement by six men in broad daylight - with pedestrians and cars going past. A friend who lived in Rome went down to attend the ordination of a priest he knew and got dropped off at the church by taxi. Later that evening he phoned the taxi company to come and collect him and they refused to send a car to that area in the dark. It has been a mafia run disaster area for decades.

This is the thread for exalting European liberalism. Another thread has been started to mourn it, and to suggest a few grown up alternatives to democracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back