advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+14)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We take our dog to France with us every year.
I took my dog to the vet today to get her blood tests done before her rabies booster done.
She has had a pets passport for 8 years but I am having to prepare for a no deal Brexit whereby a completely different regime starts.
We are travelling in the middle of May but the timescales involved mean I had to start today to ensure she can travel whatever the outcome.

Tonight’s crapola just reinforces my conviction I made the right decision.

But the Spelman amendment has no legal force. So it's a gesture albeit (perhaps) a significant one. My reading of today's votes is that the Conservative Party is willing to give Theresa May one last roll of the dice in her talks with the EU. If, as expected, the EU sticks to its red lines, and May comes back with nothing new, all bets are off and I would expect to see real fireworks (mainly, touch wood, a Tory implosion).

A Tory implosion is about as likely as the Labour Party splitting. These vulture MPs care about their jobs most of all. They will put themselves and their Party before the good of the nation. The fact that the Brady amendment has passed proves that.

Jack

No deal it is then. Neither side will stomach backing down (plus the EU will know now May's word is worthless).

Laura Kuenssberg‏Verified account @bbclaurak
Immediate response from Tusk - ' Withdrawal agreement is and remains the best and only way to ensure an orderly withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union. The backstop is part of the Withdrawal Agreement, and the Withdrawal Agreement is not open for re-negotiation'
8:45 PM - 29 Jan 2019

May is going nowhere, no deal was never on the table, extending article 50 is what happens next, then of course we enter the slow burn to no Brexit. You should all be jumping for joy rather than attacking May, her real intentions are now becoming reality.

We take our dog to France with us every year.
I took my dog to the vet today to get her blood tests done before her rabies booster done.
She has had a pets passport for 8 years but I am having to prepare for a no deal Brexit whereby a completely different regime starts.
We are travelling in the middle of May but the timescales involved mean I had to start today to ensure she can travel whatever the outcome.

Tonight’s crapola just reinforces my conviction I made the right decision.

Did you get your own anti-Brexit jab ?

So I've been out of the brexit following game for a few days due to work. But it turns out that my MP is one of the Labour rebels who voted against the Yvette Cooper amendment. Can anyone explain to me why he would have done so, other than because he wants to facilitate a no deal brexit?

I have a question to him drafted, but it's always possible I'm missing something obvious.

A Tory implosion is about as likely as the Labour Party splitting. These vulture MPs care about their jobs most of all. They will put themselves and their Party before the good of the nation. The fact that the Brady amendment has passed proves that.

Jack

The Brady amendment is important because it allows them to unite around vacuousness, without exposing their differences.

So 14 Labour rebels helped the government limp over the line on the Grieve and Cooper amendments. Well done lads! (and Kate presumably)

So I've been out of the brexit following game for a few days due to work. But it turns out that my MP is one of the Labour rebels who voted against the Yvette Cooper amendment. Can anyone explain to me why he would have done so, other than because he wants to facilitate a no deal brexit?

I have a question to him drafted, but it's always possible I'm missing something obvious.

I'd imagine he thought the time extension was too open-ended.

On the Cooper amendment:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1090347130479407112
https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1090344692099747841

So 18 Conservatives voted against the government and 14 Labour MPs defied the party whip.

It's disappointing that, just when Tories decided to rebel in sufficient numbers, a few Labour MPs let the government off the hook.

That said, I don't think it would have made a difference: the amendment lost by 23 votes; Hoey, Stringer and Mann are loons who were always going to vote with the government; so even if no other Labour MPs ignored the party whip, the amendment would have been defeated (by just one vote!).

Meanwhile, the UK remains in limbo, while Theresa May scrabbles to stop the Conservative Party ripping itself apart.

But the Spelman amendment has no legal force. So it's a gesture albeit (perhaps) a significant one. My reading of today's votes is that the Conservative Party is willing to give Theresa May one last roll of the dice in her talks with the EU. If, as expected, the EU sticks to its red lines, and May comes back with nothing new, all bets are off and I would expect to see real fireworks (mainly, touch wood, a Tory implosion).

I heard on R4 this afternoon that the EU wanted solid proof that May has full support before offering anything, which was countered with "but she won't get support until they offer anything"

Seems this show of support for a deal renegotiation regarding the backstop wasn't enough for them.

I see this not ending well. But then there was someone earlier who was part of the Good Friday deal saying that nobody went into that believing anything would come from it and then someone pulled a Rabbit from a hat and sorted it out at the last minute, which is about all we can hope for with this shit show.

The Brady amendment is important because it allows them to unite around vacuousness, without exposing their differences.

True. They will keep doing this kind of thing until a May deal is accepted by Parliament, or we crash out because the Spelman/Droney No Deal amendment is advisory and doesn't have the full force of the law.

All of the Ministers in the Cabinet are millionaires I believe, although it changes so quickly it's difficult to keep up. They have deep enough pockets not to worry about the economic chaos of a No Deal Brexit.

As for the poor, surely nobody thinks the Tories give a fkuc about them. Those who voted Leave have ensured the poor will suffer more.

Jack

It would help if you named him.

Optimistically, we can speculate that other Tory remainers are colluding in running down the clock in order to beat up their price.

Otherwise it looks like the DUP are the only hope.

From what I could gather earlier, some of them think that extending A50 is just a ruse to getting Brexit scrapped altogether, so rather than being against the delay they're voting it down because they don't want Brexit to get scuppered.

There are quite a few Labour MPs who represent very pro Brexit constituencies.
Some of them feel they cannot be seen by their constituents to vote for any delay.

I see plenty of wealthy people panicking about leaving the EU, if the poor are to be the unlucky few then why do they care so much, the only time i see empathy for those at the bottom is when Brexit is on the agenda.

We will all lose, comfortable or poor. The only exceptions are those who maje their living through manipulating wealth (Rees-Mogg, Farage, Banks etc) who will no doubt clean up by shorting the misery of others.

FWIW I’m neither wealthy nor poor. I’m thankfully well-insulated as no one can make me redundant, take my house etc. My income is not even entirely UK-centric (I get about a quarter to third paid in US $). My savings have certainly been impacted by the £ crashing, though I have attempted to invest expecting Brexit to be a disaster. I’ll certainly not end out on the street anytime soon, but like the vast majority of thinking people I gain absolutely zero pleasure from knowing others will be far worse off than myself. It actually makes me very angry seeing such utter stupidity in action, hence my being so forcefully against the one thing I know will cause misery to millions over the next decade or so.

The simple fact is lots of people are already losing their jobs and many more will follow. The housing market being what it is will result in many of these people ending up in negative equity and being forced to declare bankruptcy (I remember friends going through this in the ‘80s, it is not fun). Then we have the inevitable inflation and rising prices, and again this will impact the poorest the hardest. I shall certainly remember that you voted for this as it unfolds over the next few years. I may even remind you of that fact!

PS 14 Labour gammons actually voted against Cooper’s ammendment. Shame on them. Their names need to be made into a giant billboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back