advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+14)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing to do with Brexit, oh no.

Philips to close last UK manufacturing plant, putting 430 jobs at risk

Nor is it why the Japanese are pulling nuclear investment. Oh no.

Suffolk and Wales. I wonder how they voted in the referendum?

Stephen

I was reading about BOEs new LCD plant in Hefei China, it's 1.3Km long, I am not sure our politicians have any idea what they are competing against or what exactly people are going to buy from the UK, the UK needs to be in Europe to compete in the global market, it can't do it on its own, all Jeremy's plans to help the poor will go to rat s4it if he does not produce a functioning economy and he shows no evidence of understanding that, so it's pointless voting for him to help the poor because he won't be able to.

I was reading about BOEs new LCD plant in Hefei China, it's 1.3Km long, I am not sure our politicians have any idea what they are competing against or what exactly people are going to buy from the UK, the UK needs to be in Europe to compete in the global market, it can't do it on its own, all Jeremy's plans to help the poor will go to rat s4it if he does not produce a functioning economy and he shows no evidence of understanding that, so it's pointless voting for him to help the poor because he won't be able to.

I'm afraid that there is a consensus in certain circles that being in the EU - with its restrictive and inflexible labour, social and legislative rules, the lobbying power of big corporations keen to preserve their monopolies, and the innovation-squashing precautionary principle - is possibly the worst place to be if the country is to compete with the far east. This consensus may or may not be wrong, but it exists.

From the Grauniad politics live page, which is well worth keeping an eye on.

"The former home secretary, David Blunkett, has backed calls for a new Brexit referendum, telling the BBC:

After a very, very agonising time I have come to the conclusion that we probably will have to have a second referendum.

I think there could be a referendum in May. I think that Article 50 would have to be delayed until the last possible moment, which is the end of June. And then, if the referendum was not carried in terms of staying in, then that would be that.

Asked how long such a referendum would take to organise, the former Labour frontbencher said: “You need three weeks to legislate, and two-and-a-half months to have a campaign.”

I'm afraid that there is a consensus in certain circles that being in the EU - with its restrictive and inflexible labour, social and legislative rules, the lobbying power of big corporations keen to preserve their monopolies, and the innovation-squashing precautionary principle - is possibly the worst place to be if the country is to compete with the far east. This consensus may or may not be wrong, but it exists.

Yes it exists, amongst people in very low margin businesses using unskilled staff that are run by people who's idea of a new management technique is to buy a bigger whip.

Darling Jeremy doesn't seem to have much authority outside of his allotment.

It'll be interesting to see who ignores his request.

Indeed. Free uni fees for the kids just over the border woohoo! Won't need to sell one of my houses in England to fund it now.

But they have not made it easy. Been here a year and a half nearly and only just got my social security number. Thank god I now have access to a decent health service....

Ironically gammon lack self awareness, so now I'm having second thoughts.
Could we agree on self-serving hypocrite?

Would big business ever again make big investments as long as a Labour Gouvernment rules?

If anything they got rather over-enthusiastic last time.

50263493_10215450977962445_2979686033215455232_n.jpg

They've just finished knocking down the former Vickers tank factory in Leeds, (where they built Chieftans I believe,) which was on the same sort of scale - but with fortifications too. What Corbyn wants to do, and I agree with him, is to begin to rebalance the economy, away for a*se wiping services for the rich and more towards producing things. The UK is still a very large economy on the international stage. There should be a 'cheap labour' tax imposed on BOE

The Leave vote was very likely won by illicit means. Is this democratic in your book Raga? It isn't in mine.
The remain campaign had every opportunity to dismiss any untruth the leave campaign offered during the campaign, there is a huge difference from offering a referendum knowing damn well leave voters would never choose may's option. No deal or remain is the only option acceptable to both party's, this way remain would most probably win anyway, but at least it would be on a level playing field to begin with.

You know that Leave voters would get to vote in a second referendum, right?
Surely you are not referring to May's deal, a dead deal no one in parliament agree is worthy of the name, offering this as the original leave option is forcing remain as I said, no leave voter will vote for this.

This has all been said over the last 2 pages.
Because you are remain, you most probably think this is ok, it's manipulative from the get go & not what this country should be aiming for in the future IMO.

Again, in case you decided to pass earlier posts by, any lie offered by leave during the campaign could have been dismissed by remain, it was, on a regular basis, people had the option, no option with this pathetic deal put on the paper opposite leave. It will lead to a dark future if this government are allowed to do this in the name of remain.

No deal or no Brexit is where we are heading, as stated earlier, all the rest is idle speculation to fill up time.

There should be a 'cheap labour' tax imposed on BOE

I doubt very much whether they employ cheap labour, that plant will be very highly automated requiring highly skilled people, there is a worldwide market for them and the company will have to pay the market rate. I work with a lot of Chinese engineers who are living here, some of their class mates are earning more than them in China doing similar jobs, Arm have said that there is no longer in cost advantage designing in China, it just has a lot more engineers.

Yes that’ll explain why Germany is the world’s third largest exporter. Stifled by the EU they are, utterly stifled. I’m afraid the reasons for Britain’s exporting and industrial weakness lie far closer to home than Brussels. Try SW1 0AA.

Yes that’ll explain why Germany is the world’s third largest exporter. Stifled by the EU they are, utterly stifled. I’m afraid the reasons for Britain’s exporting and industrial weakness lie far closer to home than Brussels. Try SW1 0AA.
They are stealth protectionists, getting away with coming over as the liberal types. But they are not liberal. Dig deeper, they are as dodgy as the Conservative party. They have subtle layers of unreported regulations that favour local business and keep other EU dirty foreigners out. Areas that are more difficult to nail down and report on, such as finance.

This is why they are the 3rd biggest exporter in the world.

I doubt very much whether they employ cheap labour, that plant will be very highly automated requiring highly skilled people, there is a worldwide market for them and the company will have to pay the market rate. I work with a lot of Chinese engineers who are living here, some of their class mates are earning more than them in China doing similar jobs, Arm have said that there is no longer in cost advantage designing in China, it just has a lot more engineers.

I agree, the environment is not here and it will take a long time to re-establish. But there's no point paying for shipping half way around the world unless something's cheap.

I hate to say it out loud here, but T. Blair was making a lot of sense when interviewed by Brillo tonight

I hate to say it out loud here, but T. Blair was making a lot of sense when interviewed by Brillo tonight

Blair is the main person responsible for the big rise in immigration from the EU. When Poland joined the EU, he didn't impose a moratorium on Poles coming into the UK for a few years, unlike other countries. Blair's completely untrustworthy. He might make some sense now, but its far too late.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back