advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+11)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with that is that it implies that the only role of an opposition is to sit on their hands until their next election.
Corbyn has not sat on his hands, he again requested a vote on her deal this week, he also said to carry on with the promised debates, did he receive backing from a cross party of politicians, I didn't see this, just May saying further negotiations can take place when it's obvious this is not the case, what else he supposed to do when no one backs his motions.

Unless, as Mathew indicates, parliament stand up in unison,

Parliament tried that. A letter was sent from Vince Cable, Caroline Lucas, Ian Blackford and Liz Saville Roberts, to Jeremy Corbyn arguing that there was “overwhelming case for a confidence vote" (https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/no-...theresa-may-prime-minister-brexit-government/)

And Labour did sweet fanny adams. "Something, something, right time. Er, um, general election."

Because they did nothing, May thinks and acts like she's bomb-proof and the window is now closing more rapidly on any chance of a real chance to prevent the clown car's cliff-top rendezvous.

Yup, all down to me is Brexit,line up, line up, bring yer pitchforks, or maybe cancel my vote & Brexit goes away.

Of course an individual vote rarely makes any difference, but those who voted for Brexit have to recognised that they -helped- to bring us to this situation. I’m speaking in general terms, not about you, there’s nothing wrong in any leaver recognising they made a mistake.

May put the vote on hold. A letter was sent from Vince Cable, Caroline Lucas, Ian Blackford and Liz Saville Roberts, to Jeremy Corbyn arguing that there was “overwhelming case for a confidence vote" (https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/no-...theresa-may-prime-minister-brexit-government/)

And Labour did sweet fanny adams. "Something, something, right time. Er, um, general election."

Because they did nothing, May thinks and acts like she's bomb-proof and the window is now closing more rapidly on any chance of a real chance to prevent the clown car's cliff-top rendezvous.
So if the vote removes May, if the Tories cannot decide on a prime minister, a new election is the result. Would you say the Tories would not choose a new PM & opt for a GE?

You'll have to be content with this from Mr Corbyn: "There will be some who will tell you that Brexit is a disaster for this country and some who will tell you that Brexit will create a land of milk and honey. The truth is that it’s in our hands: Brexit is what we make of it together."
Can you imagine the announcement coming from the flight deck?- “Captain Jeremy here, everyone hold hands and now sing “Oh Happy Day, when Jesus walked” and I’ll come back in five and tell you what’s about to happen”.

Of course an individual vote rarely makes any difference, but those who voted for Brexit have to recognised that they -helped- to bring us to this situation. I’m speaking in general terms, not about you, there’s nothing wrong in any leaver recognising they made a mistake.
Those who voted Brexit, those who voted Tory, those who punished sections of society for 6 solid years, those who ignored said section of society while lining their own pockets in ignorance, those now decide to ignore the obvious route forward in favour of punishing Corbyn for waiting & voting accordingly, leading to further Tory rule, further divide &further problems those who are more interested in their own personal losses with Brexit to think any further down the line which will again lead to further problems & further personal loss, so yes, we all have our crosses to bear.

Chris Grey's latest post...

As Brexit realities bite, Brexiter fantasies grow

I’m not sure if they still exist – I haven’t noticed any recently – but many butchers and greengrocers used to have large electrical insect killers on the walls of their shops. Every so often there would be a slightly gruesome crackling buzz as some hapless fly or wasp was zapped.

In a similar way, throughout the last couple of years there has periodically been the crunching sound of this or that Brexit fantasy encountering the lethal force of reality.

http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2018/12/as-brexit-realities-bite-brexiter.html?m=1

So if the vote removes May, if the Tories cannot decide on a prime minister, a new election is the result. Would you say the Tories would not choose a new PM & opt for a GE?
Er...a parliamentary no confidence vote, if lost, triggers a general election. A party no confidence vote, if lost, triggers a leadership election. Were you a little confused?

The only thing one can be sure of is that by doing nothing, everything continues as is.

I’m not sure if they still exist – I haven’t noticed any recently – but many butchers and greengrocers used to have large electrical insect killers on the walls of their shops. Every so often there would be a slightly gruesome crackling buzz as some hapless fly or wasp was zapped.

In a similar way, throughout the last couple of years there has periodically been the crunching sound of this or that Brexit fantasy encountering the lethal force of reality.

http://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2018/12/as-brexit-realities-bite-brexiter.html?m=1
Seen it already. A really excellent article.

Er...a parliamentary no confidence vote, if lost, triggers a general election. A party no confidence vote, if lost, triggers a leadership election. Were you a little confused?
" If the motion, which is another word for a debate and subsequent vote, is agreed on by the majority of MPs , the house has two weeks to form a government – and if this is not achieved Parliament is dissolved and an early General Election is triggered.

Not confused, just a stickler for detail.

Maybe Corbyn is living in the real world & not taking forum posts as gospel, there are many in this country, who at present believe in May, it may shock you but true, many believe may needs to see this through, considering this, along with the fact he is 20 points behind in polls could well go a long way as to why he isn't particularly interested in another election loss at this stage, wait a few weeks when her deal falls through, thing may be a little rosier as May only then has a no deal to offer, it could well be why he keeps hammering her to put the deal to a vote.

There have been mass delusions many times in desperate circumstances in history- the Byzantine legend of the Protecting Veil, soldiers in WW1 believing they’d seen the Virgin Mary prior to them having their heads blown off. It’s difficult to distinguish comforting fantasy from blatant lying in the Brexit camp though. I suppose it depends on who’s saying it- David Davis or Mogg? Well that’s easy..

" If the motion, which is another word for a debate and subsequent vote, is agreed on by the majority of MPs , the house has two weeks to form a government – and if this is not achieved Parliament is dissolved and an early General Election is triggered.

Not confused, just a stickler for detail.
"However, since the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011, a vote of no confidence must be passed in a specific form in order to create the possibility of an early general election. Under the Act, if a motion of confidence is passed in express terms, the house must then adopt a vote of confidence within 14 days, or a general election is held".

There have been mass delusions many times in desperate circumstances in history- the Byzantine legend of the Protecting Veil, soldiers in WW1 believing they’d seen the Virgin Mary prior to them having their heads blown off. It’s difficult to distinguish comforting fantasy from blatant lying in the Brexit camp though. I suppose it depends on who’s saying it- David Davis or Mogg? Well that’s easy..

So maybe DD really does believe he does the four-mile sprint.

untilted.jpg

Meanwhile here are some politicians from across the political spectrum having an actual sensible discussion about what to do next. Instead of whatever the f**k it is the rest of them are doing.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/events/what-next-brexit
Previous event
What next for Brexit?
Wednesday 12 December 2018, 08:30 - 09:30
The Institute for Government brought together leading parliamentarians and political figures to ask what happens next for Brexit.

We were joined by:

• Hilary Benn MP, Chair of the Committee on Exiting the European Union
  • Stella Creasy MP
  • Daniel Moylan, Brexit campaigner and former adviser to the Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP
  • Anna Soubry MP, Co-Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on EU Relations

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back