advertisement

Ogwt

Oppala

pfm Member
Been watching OGWT vol 3 this evening. I’m about half-way through to Al Stewart so far. How could I have forgotten how good Steve Marriott was??? His set with Humble Pie and the Blackberries was special. And Freddie King was a revelation, how have I missed him??? I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the OGWT dvd series. I was rarely able to watch it in my youth as my parents had no interest in ‘popular’ music, had the typical regard of the older generations of the 70’s. And on the rare occasion they did go out, I still had to bribe my brother to go to his room to play with his Action Man.

Anyway, I digress…. I always thought that OGWT was about being true to the music. No miming, no over production. A number of presenters have extolled these virtues on the dvd, even the producer chappie said how the band sound people would work with the studio sound people to get the right sound. So how is it that I found myself watching Lindisfarne, hearing a Harmonica being played when no Harmonica was being played. Or watching/hearing Steppenwolf (Born To Be Wild), the guitar break that needs two guitars, hearing two guitars, but only one guitarist on the set?

Has anyone else noticed this? Was I dreaming? Were they known to augment the sound like this? Or is it only for the dvd?

Yes, its a shame people bang on about the authenticity but there are numerous band sets which are "enhanced". It must have been difficult for record companies to let their investments have free reign, even if the band themselves wanted to be totally live.

Then again, it wasn't a remit to be just live.

I too miss that format of programme. Later with Jools started out that way where the only audience was the other bands and their roadies but it's now degenerated to "Top of the pops" level.

Must put OGWT DVDs on my present list. I wonder if I can get away with buying them for the wife?

Cheers,

It's something I've spotted when old OGWt clips are shown. It seems to be mostly from the early days (71-72), as the ones which stick in my mind are Roxy Music, David Bowie, Bob Marley. In most cases it seems to have been live singing played over a recorded backing track. In later years, all the acts appearing in the studio played live.
Gary

My daughter's drum tutor used to play with Steve Hackett, and he brought an old tape of one of their performances on OGWT round a while back.
At the time he had a massive drum kit, and to make sure they took in its majesty, he forced a cameraman to hang from the ceiling and shoot from above - ahh the innocent days before cranes and remote cameras etc!

I think the earlier shows were mimed.
It got more credibility later on.
(I keep hoping that they start showing it on one of the satellite channels.)

Did that drummer have a steel drum kit? I saw Hackett at the manchester Apollo in the 80's - one of the best concert sounds I've heard. I've always liked "Clocks", partly because of the bloke playing Moog Taurus pedals with his fists!

Could well have been - his name's John Shearer, and he played with Hackett for a good few years - certainly up until '79 if not later.
Also played with Geezer Butler, Ozzy, Iron Butterfly and all sorts of other rawk dinosaurs. Flippin' amazing drummer...

advertisement

Back