advertisement

Off road menace

I used to do trail bike events with folks associated with TBM magazine, as well as doing some of the Scottish Enduro races. This was me competing in the Cambrian Rally in Wales on my CRM:

88731138.5U0orzY5.cam2.jpg

That bike is 100% road legal - as were all the bikes in that event.

A few years ago there was a major Enduro competition locally. It was necessary to ride on public roads to go between sections. All riders obviously should have had road legal bikes suitably licenced and insured. Many of the riders had "mini" number plates, resulting in some attention from the traffic police monitoring the event. The riders argued that it had been allowed at other events by other police forces.

PNC checks discovered that many of the number plates were in fact fictional and that the bikes were therefore uninsured. The event was called off halfway through day one.

The subsequent runnings of this Enduro are now run entirely off road in a Forestry Commission forest.

The Scottish Enduro rounds I did were completely off-road and I don't think there was any requirement for the bikes to be road legal for those - although I think most of the bikes were (although some of tyres used weren't CE stamped so wouldn't be strictly road legal).

For the trail bikes events the bikes did have to be road legal (including fully road legal tyres) and the scrutineering was quite involved on those - especially as they often did use public roads as link sections. I can't recall if that included reviewing registration and insurance documents etc. or whether they'd have looked at the number plate size (as it'd been quite a while since I did one of those events!). I do recall them checking noise levels at some events though, so it's likely they did. I certainly remember having to get special flexible full-size number plates made up (as the normal rigid ones didn't last long), but that's as likely because I'm not a fan of undersize number plates for road use as anything to do with scrutineering.

Looking at recent headlines, Tiger Woods should probably be added to the list.

I fully support the bikers and couldn't care less about legality. The walkers need to be seized and crushed! I look forward to better tech for shooting down drones coming out as soon as possible.

I fully support the bikers and couldn't care less about legality. The walkers need to be seized and crushed! I look forward to better tech for shooting down drones coming out as soon as possible.

“couldn’t care less about legality...”

:)

Reminds me of kids who slam the door as they leave a room to get attention.

I used to do trail bike events with folks associated with TBM magazine, as well as doing some of the Scottish Enduro races. This was me competing in the Cambrian Rally in Wales on my CRM:

That looks like a lot of fun. A crm250 is a bit of a handful I bet, 2 stroke and the best part of 50 bhp.

That looks like a lot of fun. A crm250 is a bit of a handful I bet, 2 stroke and the best part of 50 bhp.

I used to ride a Suzuki PE 175 ( might have been a 250 ?) to work for a bit. I think it had a nice power band as I recall. Addictive bikes, 2 strokes.

I remember doing a day at Golding Barn Raceway Nr Brighton with the TBM staff
I mostly rode TBEC, True Grit and DirtbikeTrax events
Had some great times on the enduro bikes

The CRM was pretty quick but nothing like the power-band monster of a 2-stoke 250 motocross bike, so was a lot less of a handful that you'd expect. It was pretty much the "cheat" bike in trail bike events though - you used to see loads and loads of them, especially towards the top end of the results. It's one of the bikes I regret getting rid of - even after I stopped competing on it (because it was too fast and I thought I was going to hurt myself) I should have kept it for fun use. I did have quite a few off-road bikes a the time though, but hadn't realised the CRM was the best of them yet!

122784981.YE1Z3mnR.crm1_edited1.jpg

After the CRM I used to race a Gas-Gas Pamera, which was derived from a trials bike, so was a lot lighter and slower.

advertisement

Back