advertisement

Octopus Energy Users. Ever won on the "Wheel of Fortune"?

In 19 months, a £1 prize; on the first spin, I think. Absolutely nothing adverse to say about how this company operates its meter reading/statement system or access by phone/email when necessary. Reading one day, full charges/costs within 24 hours; so easy to keep an accurate record.

How come 2 readings a month? Monthly is the most frequent submission period of any company I've been with, so not sure why a bi-monthly reading would be needed or wanted.

Only once per month for each energy source: One for leccy, one for gas. You get a spin of the "Wheel" for each meter reading.

Looks like it's rigged then. Fair enough I suppose, from a legal perspective, since they are not taking any money for the "game".

I find them to be a good supplier. Straight forward to deal with and decent comms.

Scottish Power once billed me for £6.5k when they confused my neighbour's meter reading with mine....took forever to sort out and they were quite difficult about it, so I binned them for Octopus who were rated top by Which? at the time.

£1 twice... not much compensation for the DD going up from £122 to £269 to £340 now....

Looks like it's rigged then.
Well, yes, if you want to put it like that. But did you really think that on average every 12th customer was going to be given £500? Or to put it another way, that every customer was going to be given £500 after (on average) their 12th meter reading?

Only winner being a customer of Octopus Energy is them. Getting royally screwed by them; can't wait for winter no doubt escalate to fisting!

Well, yes, if you want to put it like that. But did you really think that on average every 12th customer was going to be given £500? Or to put it another way, that every customer was going to be given £500 after (on average) their 12th meter reading?
The mechanism is 'weighted'. For gambling machines this is important to make sure that the owners make a profit. I think that there is some legal requirements as to how much must be returned back to the punters. However in a cost free situation the wheel can be really heavily weighted against you.

Suckers (pronounced in a James Cagney accent) ,

DV

If you put a 512-pound weight on a wheel of course it's going to be weighted. To win you need to move the little flipper thing that makes the flpp, flpp, flpp noise when you spin the wheel. This diagram illustrates what I'm talking about.

ZjtzYqz.jpg

Watch the lolly roll in now that you've beaten the octopus at its own game!

Joe

Only once per month for each energy source: One for leccy, one for gas. You get a spin of the "Wheel" for each meter reading.

Never knew that, as the wheel spin only comes up after I've submitted both readings. In fact, I can't see how this can work but I'll pay attention tomorrow when they email me for my 2 readings.

My only grudge was last August when they sent me a choice of renewals by email for my 1 yr. fix ending 1st October. I couldn't work out what quote was what as it kept changing so I left it a month. I'd never seen/had an interactive email like that. By the time I fixed again (for 2 years) on the phone, the annual estimate had increased by £100. Probably laughing now, but that higher quote (esp. over the std. variable) wasn't an easy decision, but peace of mind overruled economics.

I put my readings in one at a time and get a spin for each.
Still haven’t won but it’s not why I am with them anyway.

If you put a 512-pound weight on a wheel of course it's going to be weighted. To win you need to move the little flipper thing that makes the flpp, flpp, flpp noise when you spin the wheel. This diagram illustrates what I'm talking about.

ZjtzYqz.jpg

Watch the lolly roll in now that you've beaten the octopus at its own game!

Joe
Nice idea, Joe - but it was meter reading day today, so I tried your method. I spun the wheel and turned my iPad so that the flipper was at the bottom. Immediately everything rotated in order to put the flipper on the right again. Result - £0. Obviously Octopus are wise to that one.

Marchy, my man.

Did you lock the tablet’s screen so it doesn’t rotate? That’s something novices often forget, but people like me with a brain the size and power of a Talosian’s (though without the bum in the back) don’t.

b19leuj9qbk21.jpg

Joe

I've won £2 on the Octopus wheel-of-fortune. Its just a harmless way to make entering meter readings a little bit more interesting. I've had no issues dealing with octopus, and they have not been difficult at all about me not having a direct debit setup to cover the gas and electricity at my late mother's house with me just keeping it topped up with direct payments from time-to-time.

I had awful experiences with Scottish Power before, and an absolutely awful experience with NPower before that.

advertisement

Back