advertisement

Obs + Cats.....

You've seen the thing on You Tube with the Aussie inventor who used a PIR detector firing a relay that operated a solenoid water valve attached to a garden hose? That works brilliantly, after a couple of nights the cats got tired of getting wet and found someone else's garden to sh*t, fight and breed in.

Picture of the Obs or I will doubt you have them.:) Sorry, I just like Obs, so pictures of them are always most welcomed!

You've never met my cat. He likes going out in the rain, and comes back in soaking and we rub him down with a towel which he really enjoys. We're pretty sure he goes out and gets wet on purpose.

DSCF3836 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

BTW, we've got Obs and he really couldn't care less...
Otis has great success hunting in the rain, he often leaves us presents on a wet morning and comes in with his fur looking like a beavers coat.

Pete

I'm lucky that neither of my cats have shown serious interest in my hi-fi. Not even the naked HB3s. (Not an Obs owner, obvs.)

Water pistols are a waste of time IME. Once they see you shooting at them the crucial element of surprise is lost - and an association with a means of getting attention is gained. I've found it best to have them associate the equipment of interest with a good fright. When I caught Louis about to jump on my turntable, I threw my keyring in his direction and the clatter of them hitting the floor next to him made him leap straight into the air! He hasn't tried it again - not in my presence anyway!

I'm also sure that if you give cats enough attention and affection, they're much less likely to be destructive.

You've never met my cat. He likes going out in the rain, and comes back in soaking and we rub him down with a towel which he really enjoys. We're pretty sure he goes out and gets wet on purpose.

DSCF3836 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

BTW, we've got Obs and he really couldn't care less...
I had a cat who'd do similar - except he'd even come in during the night and try to jump into bed! I let him do it once as I felt sorry for him. Then after he was warm and dry, outside into the weather and back in again an hour later. Nice try, Federico.

Beautiful cat, you have. I have a soft spot for "fluff bums", as I call long haired cats. Federico was a handsome brown and white tabby with a spectacular bushy tail and a personality to match.

does that work on humans as well?..
Yes. I used to work in a mews round the back of the British Film Institute and they used to have to "Clean the area automatically from time to time" or something along those lines with a PIR water irrigation system.

Reminds me of when Godzilla (actually called Snowwhite) went berzerk on my model railroad. He loved chasing a train around the layout!

I had a cat who'd do similar - except he'd even come in during the night and try to jump into bed! I let him do it once as I felt sorry for him. Then after he was warm and dry, outside into the weather and back in again an hour later. Nice try, Federico.

Beautiful cat, you have. I have a soft spot for "fluff bums", as I call long haired cats. Federico was a handsome brown and white tabby with a spectacular bushy tail and a personality to match.

Thanks - yes, i've got a soft spot for his breed (he's a Siberian Forest Cat), and although they aren't as long haired as some breeds, it's certainly on the long end!

Ah yes, the old jump onto the bed wet trick. We've not had too much of that, but we do get twigs and mud on our bed from the cat, and the occasional slug, as he tends to bring them in on his coat too. As I said, he's a bit of a mess, and doesn't really look after his fur.

We did actually have two cats, him and his brother, but his brother sadly died. Here's a picture of him dozing next to an Obelisk - he also didn't bother the speakers...

DSCF1943 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

His brother did have a musical interest, which was sitting in the piano if the lid was up:

DSCF3396 by Cesare Ferrari, on Flickr

advertisement

Back