1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Obesity

Discussion in 'off topic' started by drummerman, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

The Royal College of Physicians want to classify obesity as an illness rather than lifestyle ...

2. Still

Still beware of the duck

3. Simon Vess

Simon Vess pfm Member

Quite

It is all about victimation

Nobody is responsible for anything anymore

When bad things happen in your life it is never your fault

Everyone is a victim and should evince sympathy for their difficulties, never blame for causing their own problems

Simon

Chops54, Wilson and Mr Cat like this.
  4. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

Fat chance.

Sloop John B likes this.
  5. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

Awesome... I'm permanently ill and proud then :D

One day, they'll wake up and smell the coffee and realise the BMI is up its own arse... At 6ft 4, apparently, I should be around 88kg in bodyweight :rolleyes: I've seen bigger golf clubs :p

Martian Sunrise and Mr Cat like this.
  6. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

BMI is useless...especially for fat sprinters like me. Last test I had I was obese at 14st 7lbs and 5' 10" but had a resting heart rate of 48 at age 51.

cutting42 and Mr Cat like this.
  7. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

BMI is broken as it is based on the square of your height, when it should be the cube as you should be bigger in both width and depth as you get taller.

Salamander likes this.
  8. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

An immoderate view. No shades of grey in your world?

Some people are victims, some aren't. Fatness can go either way, of course, or be a combination.

Greg, Sean K, hifinutt and 2 others like this.
  9. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Makes sense to me. Obesity, alcoholism, drug addiction, gambling and sex addiction, are all part of the same thing. You can't stop doing what is destroying you and affecting the people around you. This is why it isn't simply a case of will power. If it was there wouldn't be so many fat people or ones dying from overdoses.

Some obese people go to therapists, treatment centres and 12-Step Meetings, or all three. In severe cases they end up in hospital and are operated on.

The only completely free deal, as far as I know, are 12-Step meetings. The latter helped to sort out my drug and alcohol problems 24 years ago. They aren't for everyone though.

I know some people who go to Overeaters Anonymous, including - to be sexist for a moment - some very attractive women. If I thought had a food problem, I'd go along.

Whether obese people, alcoholics, drug addicts, gambling and sex addicts, actually have a disease is a moot point. I do believe they are different on a mental, physical and emotional level from the majority of the population. This together with social and psychological factors helps to bring on addiction.

The other weird thing about the disease is it can transfer from one realm to the another. There are plenty of fat ex-drug addicts. They might not be getting a buzz from heroin or crack any more, but they do from a McDonald's Triple Thick Chocolate Shake. These are diet versions though compared to the 2,000 calorie shakes you can find out and about.

I've never had one, but I imagine you get an instant sugar and serotonin rush, feel fantastic for a little while, then glance in shame at your bulging figure in a shop window as you waddle down the street to buy some new clothes.

The real situation might be different from my bit of fiction of course. It is good that the RCP have recognized obesity as a disease though. Twenty-four years of dealing with addiction, and seeing some of my friends die, has taught me that.

Jack

10. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

BMI is an indicator only. But it is amazing that so many fat people claim that it shouldn't apply to them. ( I am smack on the midpoint but would prefer to be at the bottom )

HarryB likes this.
  11. Wilson

Wilson _

An immoderate view. No shades of grey in their world...

12. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Some people can eat anything and stay slim.
    Some people gain weight very easily.
    Close attention to diet can help, but it doesn't provide a cure in all cases.
    Some people are fat because they are idle undisciplined greedy bastards. They can often lose loads of weight simply by diet and exercise.

One of my daughters tends to be overweight. She works, is a busy mother of two, visits the gym regularly, is careful what she eats and has run numerous marathons and half marathons. Yet she remains overweight.

Explain that...

Cheese and hifinutt like this.
  13. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

What's stopping them?

Seriously, though, smoking is an unwise lifestyle choice often resulting in the illness of lung cancer. Obesity is a (presumably) undesired outcome of a different, unwise lifestyle choice.

14. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Midnight visits to the fridge? Cakes under the bed?

Mr Cat and Bananahead like this.
  15. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

Do the Marathon routes go past many KFC's and Macs mull? :D

16. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

I blame Mary Berry.

Hook likes this.
  17. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

One thing I think - I’m not sure about this - is that our society is geared to make people eat too much and eat unhealthily. We comfort ourselves by eating more than we need, we celebrate by eating more than we need, we associate success with more food than we need. We’re surrounded by ads designed to make us buy more food than we need. Add to this that some unhealthy foods are sometime cheaper and easier to prepare and more easily available than healthier ones.

The roots of increasing obesity are complicated, but I can’t help think that a big part of it is the profit demands of the food industry.

18. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

If obesity is characterized as a lack of will power as opposed to a disease, how would you characterize anorexia nervosa? Too much will power, steely resolve?

Joe

Greg, Spike55 and jackbarron like this.
  19. Cav

Cav pfm Member

What adults do is a matter for them. Fat children, though, are not fat through choice. If obesity is such an issue then sort out the parents who make their children fat.

20. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

What about obese babies?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.