Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Oasis eviscerated

Discussion in 'music' started by sideshowbob, Jun 10, 2021.

1. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

2. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Outstanding indeed! I never did get Brit Pop. And think that explains some of why. Don’t necessarily agree with all of it but…

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Likewise. I never got what people saw in them. I hadn’t realised they were quite that unpleasant and gammony, but I never paid attention to them. There was just no overlap with the stuff I was listening to at the time. I had no interest in that scene at all aside from a couple of shoegaze bands who curled out something approaching a Brit Pop album at the end of their career (e.g. Lush, even the Boos got a bit close), but they were still good.

4. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Like books, jazz and Shakespeare but have no interest in Oasis, hip-hop or Harry. Conflicted as always.

Bob McC and Jono_13 like this.
  5. The Bish

The Bish pfm Member

I take it he didn't see Beyonce at Glastonbury.

6. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

Very lightweight, derivative noise. Football singalong tunes.

7. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

I thought he was quite kind there. At the time Oasis confirmed my some years previous exit from regressive guitar rock. I couldn't believe how anyone was taking their leaden Kinks/Beatles mash up pastiche seriously. And then they became the 90s equivalent of Thriller, the album tedious people who didn't like music played at their house parties, from start to finish.

Jono_13 likes this.
  8. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

9. Graham B

Graham B pfm Member

Sums up exactly how I feel about the brothers entire output, very eloquently. Tragic that oasis got so far with a few variants of basically the same song, and how Noel has so predictably lapsed into the whinging ex-star who can never regain the heights.

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Thriller is good though.

11. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

I'm sure all 260 of his followers lapped the 'article' up. From a critical perspective his writing is a mixture of swearing and trying to use long words for the sake of it. At the start of his blog entry you learn he dislikes Noel Gallagher, by the end of it you've learned nothing else. It's very linear, the sort of thing an erstwhile public school student might come up with thinking it's ten times better than it is, pretty poor frankly. 3 out of 10! HTH :D

12. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Quite why the author feels the need to denigrate anyone's contribution the the British music oeuvre is beyond me. Im sure his songs must me universally lived, like his own ramblings to an audience of 250 by the time this thread is done. If one doesnt like a musicians work don't listen to it, it you don't like his viewpoint don't read his gammon ramblings.

Gallagher's just morrisey for football fans, don't give him oxygen if you think he's a twat.

13. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

Yeah but fun to read even if it is one dimensional.

I have to say I think my original posting (although second to the punch) in off topic is much more appropriate than sticking it in the Music section :p

14. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

15. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Well, someone I've never heard of does not like Oasis whom I have. Always preferred Oasis to Blur but that's not really saying much.

16. Somafunk

Somafunk pfm Member

Good rant, 9/10.

Never got into oasis despite managing and working behind the bar 6 nights/week in THE only decent pub in my town back in 93 to 98, in fact I went as far to remove the oasis cd from the cd jukebox (remember them?, a £ for 3 songs) and replace it with “Andy Stewart - Donald where’s yer troosers”, caused much hilarity and abuse….mainly aimed at me as everyone knew I had done it. I was into dance/techno music, clubbing and hugging complete strangers whilst off my tits on whatever dodgy pills n’ powders I could shove down my throat and up my nose…..some of the best days of my life (yes..they really were) and mostly catalogued in the 6 shoe boxes I have full of thousands of photos from the 90’s, I always carried my Olympus mju 35mm camera and rolls of film with me……………..I could blackmail many folk, some now rather famous in the music/tv/radio scene these days with those pics ;)…… but nope……they’ll be burnt before I pop my clogs.

vince rocker and gustav_errata like this.
  17. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

I saw Oasis live in Memphis, 15 February 1995, in a medium-size theater venue. As individuals each member was only barely competent on their respective instruments, but together they sounded pretty good. And Liam could belt it out. I was entertained. I bought the CD, played it once, and was done. Really had no further use for them.

Somehow it's not a surprise that Noel is a complete twunt.

Nytechy likes this.
  18. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

I have enjoyed some Brit Pop, bands like The Motors, who did not have bloated egos

19. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

The Motors were about 20 years earlier than so called Brit Pop.

kensalriser and ciderglider like this.
  20. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I can never remember which Gallagher is which. Don't like their music much, though the theme to The Royle Family is quite nice. I suppose if you were young enough to have missed the Beatles, Stones and Kinks they were an OK sort of facsimile.

I found it amusing at the time that the term 'Cool Britannia' was a rip-off of a Bonzo Dog song from some 30 years in the past. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

myles and Frizzy like this.