advertisement

Nytech Audio / Ion Systems Appreciation Thread

I had a linn lp12

ion obelisk 3x xpac amplifier

Royd Edens on linn kan stands

It all made quite a good noise

First Nytech system bought late 1970s (Billy Vee) then had two or three systems over 20 odd years,before getting lost in other so called better equipment.
Came back about back into the fold about 10 years ago.
Now running CA252 with CXA 252 and pair of ARC 102 and of course the good old Linn at the front.
Trying to find a CPA 602 if anybody knows of one,working or not.:)
Please contact me.Only one for sale at the moment is in Germany for silly money, there was one for sale in the far east a few years ago. Fred

Some pictures of the Morgan Audio Systems Deva 500 amplifier. It improved on my ION Nexus monoblocks with much improved build quality. The remote is made out of aluminum!

DSCN4633.jpg

DSCN4637a.jpg

DSCN4638.jpg

Richard

Nice to see people still talking about Nytech and Ion after all these years and keeping the old stuff going.

I used to work for Nytech in the Chew Magna days and it is still the most enjoyable time in my whole career

I'm still happily listening to a CTP102/EXO102/CPA602 and ARC 202 speakers (albeit with 2 sets of new caps in everything) and have no plans to change them yet.

Thanks to everyone for still appreciating our work after all these years :)

2010_0815morgan0018.jpg
[/IMG]An inside view of my Deva integrated tweaked by Robin to be treble/midrange only in a bi-amp system.I have a fullrange Deva for the bass section,both of these being the older series.

My 252/CXA/102 active combination with Linn.
Still looking for pair ARC 202.
DSCN7113.jpg

Have removed cover on one speaker to show aluminium ring and yes thats a CPA602 waiting for a mate and a CP112.

I want to update my CA252 & CXA252 to a Heed Pre / PowerAmp Configuration. Can anybody give me a tip how to modernise the electronic crossover in the CXA252 or has somebody the original electronic crossover and want to sell it to me. My speakers are the ARC050. I love them .....

Not sure what you're actually asking for NRWler 04 but heres the original spec for the 050 electronic crossover for the EXO/CXA

This is for the 050 with the ARC recessed dome tweeter (Stick on arc logo)

There were a very few with Scanspeak tweeters - VERY rare

Xover freq 3Khz

HF 1dB down on LF (LF pot at max - HF pot about a 10th backed off)

HF out of phase with LF (Set by little wire link on board

If anyones interested I have the circuit for the 2 way Crossover card

Also about to restore fully a pair of CPA 602s and will post info if theres interest

I notice there is what looks like a very sweet Obelisk 3/X-Pak on the bay of E at the moment - wondering if it's worth a punt as I'm considering moving my Claymore on. Have heard from a couple of sources that Ion/Royd was a fine combination.

Should say I love the Claymore but with it being quite full-on at the bass end it's exciting too much boom in my listening room. I just don't want to have to sell the Royds.

What sayest the Nytech/Ion cognescenti? :)

Gromit,

I have an Ob 3/X-Pak and also a couple of pairs of Royds. Great combo. The Ob3/X-Pak is a fabulous amp. Don't forget it cost twice as much as a Naim Nait when it was new. FWIW, MS loved the Ion combo when he had it and he was/is a die-hard Naimophile.

Gromit,

I have an Ob 3/X-Pak and also a couple of pairs of Royds. Great combo. The Ob3/X-Pak is a fabulous amp. Don't forget it cost twice as much as a Naim Nait when it was new. FWIW, MS loved the Ion combo when he had it and he was/is a die-hard Naimophile.

Thanks Mignun - sounds very encouraging. :)

Hope you didn't mind, I've pm'd you regarding the one I've seen.

I've sent you a reply. Bottom line, I'd ask some questions; that could well be an earlier Ob3 that has been upgraded a few years later to 3X and been supplied with a later X-Pak2 as used on the Nexus pre/power. The original X-Pak looks a little different. The fascia is a perfect match for the 3X and the case is the same size as well. Later Ions have slightly re-styled buttons and lost the polished edge on the volume knob.

Hi Richard - thanks for the return of pm, really appreciate the sharing of knowledge on these. :)

So, it would appear the one I was on about could be a 'bitsa?' (maybe I'm being a little unfair with that?). I emailed the chap a couple of days ago about some info regarding the phono input but he hasn't got back to me yet.

It could well be legit - Ion offered Obelisk 3 owners the chance to upgrade their existing amps to 3X status. It may have been a late upgrade at which time only the X-Pak2 was available? Hard to know for sure without somebody giving an exact provenance.

Of course, it may also be any variety of other options, so best get the story from the seller first.

Not sure what you're actually asking for NRWler 04 but heres the original spec for the 050 electronic crossover for the EXO/CXA

This is for the 050 with the ARC recessed dome tweeter (Stick on arc logo)

There were a very few with Scanspeak tweeters - VERY rare

Xover freq 3Khz

HF 1dB down on LF (LF pot at max - HF pot about a 10th backed off)

HF out of phase with LF (Set by little wire link on board

If anyones interested I have the circuit for the 2 way Crossover card

Also about to restore fully a pair of CPA 602s and will post info if theres interest

Maybe you can send me some info's how to restore the CPA 602s. I have two of them .....

I'm also looking for a CP 122. Maybe you know somebody who has one and wants to sell it.

Thanks and sorry for my Denglish (German English)

I'll give you a running commentary - Its going to be a couple of weeks before I get started but I will put up a circuit diagram (schematic) sometime next week (when I've checked its correct :)

I had a linn lp12

ion obelisk 3x xpac amplifier

Royd Edens on linn kan stands

It all made quite a good noise

So did I! Mine sounded quick, deep and open. I sold the amp after Chris Brookes serviced it and scratched the front panel in the process. Got to say that I should have kept it as it took years to get as comfortable with my system again.

advertisement

Back