advertisement

Nytech Audio / Ion Systems Appreciation Thread

Hallo Richard,

Ich habe einen 3x und könnte vergleichen.
If you need someone to use the pcbs. Ask Phil from Nytech Audio.

Regards Alex

Hoi Alex - ist Phil ein Benutzer hier? Benutzername oder Kontakt Info? (Per pm)

thanks

Hi all

Just a quick note to say that our website has been completely re-written, so any old links, favourites or shortcuts (including any previously posted on PFM) to specific pages may no longer work.

If you end up on the "page not found" page then just click on one of the menu items at the top of the page that should get you where you want to go.
The Website URLs remain the same.

www.nytechaudio.com
www.nytechaudio.co.uk

Feel free to let us know what you think of the new site and thank you all for your continued support and encouragement through current times!

The (very small) Nytech team :)

The earlier huge Ion Nexus poweramps were modular and used a single 750VA power transformer (The TX750) with either a single MA40 power amplifier as a monoblock (System 140) or with a pair of MA40s as a stereo amp (System 240) There was also a bridging option to turn a Sys240 into a 80W moniblock (don't even ask - REALLY bad idea!!)

The main problem with the huge transformer is that it was prone to mechanical mains buzz (the sheet steel case didn't help) and a 750VA transformer for a 40W RMS amplifier is a bit OTT even by "Audiophile" standards :)

It also produced a large magnetic field (even though it was a torroid) and could play havoc with phono stages and turntables if they were too close!

The MA400 used a single MA40 poweramp combined with a more modest :) 400VA transformer as a dedicated monoblock. As the transformer was physically smaller then the MA400 was half the height of the SYS140/240 and the case was more rigid so far less susceptible to mains hum and a much lower external magnetic field.

Sound wise they used the same MA40 power amp so differences were virtually impossible to detect (It would be easier to hear the difference in individual components in the MA40) as both power transformers were more than adequate to the task. They both sounded really good and either will put a lot of modern 2-3K poweramps to shame in terms of musical enjoyment.

The MA400 however was somewhat more practical than the SYS140/240 so does that make it "better"? that's up to the owner to decide :)

The earlier huge Ion Nexus poweramps were modular and used a single 750VA power transformer (The TX750) with either a single MA40 power amplifier as a monoblock (System 140) or with a pair of MA40s as a stereo amp (System 240) There was also a bridging option to turn a Sys240 into a 80W moniblock (don't even ask - REALLY bad idea!!)

The main problem with the huge transformer is that it was prone to mechanical mains buzz (the sheet steel case didn't help) and a 750VA transformer for a 40W RMS amplifier is a bit OTT even by "Audiophile" standards :)

It also produced a large magnetic field (even though it was a torroid) and could play havoc with phono stages and turntables if they were too close!

The MA400 used a single MA40 poweramp combined with a more modest :) 400VA transformer as a dedicated monoblock. As the transformer was physically smaller then the MA400 was half the height of the SYS140/240 and the case was more rigid so far less susceptible to mains hum and a much lower external magnetic field.

Sound wise they used the same MA40 power amp so differences were virtually impossible to detect (It would be easier to hear the difference in individual components in the MA40) as both power transformers were more than adequate to the task. They both sounded really good and either will put a lot of modern 2-3K poweramps to shame in terms of musical enjoyment.

The MA400 however was somewhat more practical than the SYS140/240 so does that make it "better"? that's up to the owner to decide :)

What about the later Ion MA600 mono blocks?

I have a pair of these.

I also have a pair of TX750 MA40 mono blocks.. sadly one channel is down and the funds to repair it are not here atm.

Currently listening to my Ion 3X XPAC1 through my Naim IBLs and the system is sounding fabulous.

Edit to add: I bought this kit in 2015 :) Original thread here :) I also still have Creek 4040 amp board if anyone interested - the active cross over boards long gone for good profit :)

I just dug this stuff out of the cellar - I somehow imagined I'd make a DIY amp or 4 with these parts, but of course never did. I got them many years ago as a bulk lot from a liquidated hi-fi dealer here in Switzerland who used to service Ion kit - all NOS as far as I can see, but various bits stolen.

The single PCB with the heatsink different is labelled as an Ion Obelisk 3x power amp module, but all are the same power amp PCBs of P1062 issue 4, so I assume all suitable for Obelisk 3x's? Anyone here know for sure? No idea why one has 2k2 smoothing caps rather then the 10k of the others, all looks original soldering.

I assume the pre PCB is also from an Obelisk 3, but no real idea - its wire colour coding matches the amp PCB colours.

Anyone have interest in them? Happy to let them go cheap, especially if they get used to keep old Ion kit alive :) Otherwise I whack on eBay - time to clear my cellar :)

Thanks, Richard - anyhow, photos;
Note RH channel output clamp missing - transistors look original soldered, think clamp was stolen - also has lower value caps;
52081812142_eff0be5785_k.jpg

52081812117_48911e41f4_k.jpg

52083339805_af9758da3b_k.jpg

52083339800_b9c1369a27_k.jpg

This one was labelled 3x;
52083339795_9a135bd7ef_k.jpg

P1071.4 pre amp board - for 3x?
52083085144_55bb9d50ca_k.jpg

Dowser,
PM sent if you still have these..

Just sold on ebay. £226.50 in good working condition.

Nytech CPA602 Vintage Power Amplifier.
Soundcraft in Ashford Kent.

Just posted a couple of Ion / Nexus related items in the for sale section for those interested in such things.. :)

I also have a spare X-Pac2 if this is something someone has an interest in.

I'm sorry to report that John Chapman died 2 weeks ago.

John was a dealer in Bournemouth, having taken over the Russ Andrews dealership. He was a typical Linn, Grace, Supex, Rega, Nytech/Ion, Naim, ARC, Royd, Roksan dealer working from his home where he had a purpose built listening room. A real flat earth dealer of the time who was an excellent engineer having previously worked in aerospace at Hurn (Bournemouth) airport.

He branched out into speaker design and developed the JC-1 speaker, the protoptypes were housed in ARC Atom cabinets with a change to a ported design during development. The cabinet, bass unit and crossover were all bespoke and various tweeters were used inclucing the same Scanspeak tweeter usied in Naim SBL's. Many were sold to local customers and also through some Linn/Naim/Nyytech/Ion dealers at the time. I still have a pair.

Julian Vereker was highly impressed with the JC-1's and used a pair with Naim equipment at a HiFi show.

A good friend of Richard Hay, John was invited to become the production manager at Ion and relocated to Wales. As part of the deal the JC-1 was made at the Ion factory.

When Ion folded John remained in Wales for some time and started selling Morgan Audio Systems equipment to ex customers etc. commuting too and from Wales to Bournemouth. I believe there was a link between Ion and Morgan design wise.

After a while John returned to Bournemouth and retired.

We remained friends and would often catchup for some music and chat, I will miss these times.

He was 90.

I consider myself very fortunate to own a pair a JC1-A speakers driven by active Ion Systems amps. A very good design.

I suspect John would have been one of the few people who could have told us all about the intriges that went on the british hifi industry in the 70s and 80s.

He will be always be remembered by anyone who services/repairs Ion Systems. I presume the little "JC" quality/build control stickers on the circuits boards are from him.

Yes, John did have many tales to tell. I think I'd be in trouble if I shared many of them!

I still have a pair of JC-1's. They are special prototypes so have some differences that won't be in the prodution models. I also have one of five sets of stands which were also prototypes. Similar to Kan stands but without the trip hazard! I don't use mine now, I have Kudos S20's in a Naim system these days but the JC-1's will remain, I wouldn't want to part with them.

As John was the production manager the stickers are most likely as you speculate. I visted the factory once and his home in Wales, it was a small affair (the factory), his home was a lovely converted chapel.

I'm in Poole so he was my dealer until he moved to Ion. He took over the Russ Andrews dealership here. We kept in contact and met up from time to time after he moved back and retired, although COVID limited opportunities somewhat recently.

I don't have any words that will adequately describe the huge contribution that John made both to Nytech as an enthusiastic and loyal dealer and later with Ion where his idea's on speaker design really came to life.

John - your legacy has (and still does) given musical lovers the pleasure of enjoying their music.

For that you will be fondly remembered by us all, and for those of us who were lucky enough to know him he will be remembered for so much more

John, enjoy a heavenly drink with Richard, Julian and the rest of the people who helped give British HiFi the reputation it still holds today, and know that your inspiration still drives us onward.

Gone but DEFINITELY not forgotten.

Phil

My second amp was an Ion Obelisk 2 (circa 1990). Was quite noisy, but very musical. great value amp if you had efficient speakers. Mine was paired with a Rega 3 / Elise and JPW AP3's at the time. Sold it and moved onto a 62/140 and Keilidhs and the R3 went for an LP12.. remember the amp fondly though.

Sorry to read of John Chapman's passing. I had dealings over many years with him and always found him a thoroughly nice chap. I knew his brother too, in fact his brother had introduced us.
John had kitted me out with my first bit of hi-fi from his shop in Poole, just before I went to Uni in 1974.
I later had dealings over several years in the late 80's and 90's when I had various Ion items serviced or upgraded.
Still have my 4 x MA40 Monoblocks and SP1 Pre amp with Xpak2. All working splendidly I'm pleased to report.
The only trouble I have ever had was with the On/Off latching switches. They are a bit of a fiddle to replace but manageable with patience.

RIP John and many thanks for everything

advertisement

Back