advertisement

Nytech Audio / Ion Systems Appreciation Thread

SK0ybqo.jpg

A big thank you to @Nytecholdie for building this beauty for me (I had to pay him). I have had a little time to listen today and it is sounding rather good at this early stage but more serious listening time is needed (a very busy/tiring weekend). Phil kept me in touch at every stage of the build and was a real gentleman throughout. A fantastic company.

I picked up an Ion Obelisk 100 on fleabay for just over hundred quid during lockdown for my office system, it's a nice sounding amp, it does suffer a little from sticky selector switches, which I imagine will be hard to replace if they go, but apart from that it's a nice integrated amp with reasonable power and a decent phono stage.
Hi all. Does anyone know how the later Obelisk 100 stacks up against the shoebox versions?
I’m after an integrated amp and there is an Obelisk 100 available nearby. I used to have a 3x with X-pac, and I wondered how the newer one compares?
Even if not quite as good out of the box I’d consider some mods to improve it, or is it just a better bet to go with a newer Heed version?

Can't comment on comparison but I picked up an Ion Obelisk 100 on fleabay for just over hundred quid during lockdown for my office system, it's a nice sounding amp, it does suffer a little from sticky selector switches, which I imagine may be hard to replace if they go, but apart from that it's a nice integrated amp with reasonable power and a decent phono stage.

For anyone interested.Just picked up a very very early CTA 252 from flea bay.
Have removed the no longer available volume control.
RUW100 100K-lg

Hoping it is the same as the slightly well worn one in my much later CA252.Needs to be jiggled with to get a good contact on one channel at very low volumes.
The other slide controls on the PCB seem to be.

Very nice looking Ion Obelisk 3X and X-Pak 1 on the Bay at the moment for £395.
Can someone please buy this before I am tempted!
I see the sellers also got the matching FMT 1 Tuner. They must be extremely rare, especially in the condition these appear to be in. Seriously tempted myself but my wallet can't stand anymore battering at the moment!
TS

One of our customers sent us a link to this and we thought we'd share it here just in case anyone wants to take on a real challenge of getting a full active Linn/Nytech/Isobarik PMS system up and running again.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...7b6c?queryId=e5175110656264e2fd40c3d4fb52d1cd

We can service the Nytech stuff and with the help of Falcon Acoustics, the Bariks. Not so sure about the other stuff though anything is possible for those that want it enough :)

Happy listening and keep safe all!

I will post a short review of the Nytech CA352 integrated amplifier over the Easter break. Please don’t expect anything too in-depth as I am not a professional reviewer!

Last edited:
One of our customers sent us a link to this and we thought we'd share it here just in case anyone wants to take on a real challenge of getting a full active Linn/Nytech/Isobarik PMS system up and running again.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...7b6c?queryId=e5175110656264e2fd40c3d4fb52d1cd

We can service the Nytech stuff and with the help of Falcon Acoustics, the Bariks. Not so sure about the other stuff though anything is possible for those that want it enough :)

Happy listening and keep safe all!

I was very tempted by this auction but eventually missed the end, someone has now got a peach of a system.

Still seriously tempted, unfortunately the recent purchase of the Quad34/306 plus imminent purchase of LS3/5as has more than offset the money I've made selling other bits of kit.
Sadly my Obelisk 3 appears to have developed a fault, the output is down on the LH channel. Noticed it last weekend but turning it on yesterday it was more obvious. Checked all the usual, connections/swapping cables etc.
Would appreciate it if anyone could explain where to check & how to adjust the bias.
Not having much luck lately, my A&R A60 stopped working last week as well. Haven't got round to investigating that one yet.
TS

I was very tempted by this auction but eventually missed the end, someone has now got a peach of a system.

Wonder when that lot will all appear on eBay?
Bit cynical I know and I certainly hope not, I can count on my fingers the number of EXO’s I’ve seen and I think that was the first one with a Linn PMS board in it, so the amps speakers & x-over deserve to stay together at least.

Still seriously tempted, unfortunately the recent purchase of the Quad34/306 plus imminent purchase of LS3/5as has more than offset the money I've made selling other bits of kit.
Sadly my Obelisk 3 appears to have developed a fault, the output is down on the LH channel. Noticed it last weekend but turning it on yesterday it was more obvious. Checked all the usual, connections/swapping cables etc.
Would appreciate it if anyone could explain where to check & how to adjust the bias.
Not having much luck lately, my A&R A60 stopped working last week as well. Haven't got round to investigating that one yet.
TS

Hi Tony
Most Ions these days fail due to electrolytic capacitors drying out so its a good start to recap it.

Change the lot including the power supply capacitors!

If its not that then e-mail us ([email protected]) and we'll do our best to help you to get it going.
Live long and prosper!

Sold for £1300. the speakers must be worth that alone.
Wonder when that lot will all appear on eBay?
Bit cynical I know and I certainly hope not, I can count on my fingers the number of EXO’s I’ve seen and I think that was the first one with a Linn PMS board in it, so the amps speakers & x-over deserve to stay together at least.
As predicted. Broken up into separate lots & listed on eBay. He’s put the speakers up for sale at almost the cost of what he paid for the whole system. And selling the speakers separate from their matching stands. GRRRR

Edit to add: I bought this kit in 2015 :) Original thread here :) I also still have Creek 4040 amp board if anyone interested - the active cross over boards long gone for good profit :)

I just dug this stuff out of the cellar - I somehow imagined I'd make a DIY amp or 4 with these parts, but of course never did. I got them many years ago as a bulk lot from a liquidated hi-fi dealer here in Switzerland who used to service Ion kit - all NOS as far as I can see, but various bits stolen.

The single PCB with the heatsink different is labelled as an Ion Obelisk 3x power amp module, but all are the same power amp PCBs of P1062 issue 4, so I assume all suitable for Obelisk 3x's? Anyone here know for sure? No idea why one has 2k2 smoothing caps rather then the 10k of the others, all looks original soldering.

I assume the pre PCB is also from an Obelisk 3, but no real idea - its wire colour coding matches the amp PCB colours.

Anyone have interest in them? Happy to let them go cheap, especially if they get used to keep old Ion kit alive :) Otherwise I whack on eBay - time to clear my cellar :)

Thanks, Richard - anyhow, photos;
Note RH channel output clamp missing - transistors look original soldered, think clamp was stolen - also has lower value caps;
52081812142_eff0be5785_k.jpg

52081812117_48911e41f4_k.jpg

52083339805_af9758da3b_k.jpg

52083339800_b9c1369a27_k.jpg

This one was labelled 3x;
52083339795_9a135bd7ef_k.jpg

P1071.4 pre amp board - for 3x?
52083085144_55bb9d50ca_k.jpg

Hallo Richard,

Ich habe einen 3x und könnte vergleichen.
If you need someone to use the pcbs. Ask Phil from Nytech Audio.

Regards Alex

advertisement

Back