advertisement

Nytech Audio / Ion Systems Appreciation Thread

Received the recapped & serviced Obelisk 3 back off Nytech yesterday morning, sounding superb. Unfortunately due to the new lockdown rules wasn't able to collect the amp & audition the Nytech pre/power, maybe sometime next year. Many thanks to Phil for an excellent job & quick turnaround made a nice early Xmas present for myself.
PS, use generic 2.5mm multi strand ofc speaker cable here, sounds good to me.
Merry Xmas
TS

Have not been on for while but a quick update on my Nytech CA/CXA active system with a pair of 202 ARC speakers.
Recently had them back from Nytech after a check over and update.
Very impressed with the service and the results.
They did uncover a bit of a mystery inside the CXA. It had a mysterious little pcb added at some time to make it a bit more compatable with the Linn Kan speakers.
For those interested the system has in the past been used actively with
Linn Saras.
To date having owned Nytech/ARC stuff in various combinations since late 1970s never had anything fail.

The Nytech is connected to
Linn Sondeck
Linn Classic
Cambridge Audio streamer.

Forgot to mention used in CA 252 passive mode with.
Epos
Linn Index
Linn Keilidh.
Also had 602, was curiously underwhelmed and sold it on.

Hi all. Does anyone know how the later Obelisk 100 stacks up against the shoebox versions?
I’m after an integrated amp and there is an Obelisk 100 available nearby. I used to have a 3x with X-pac, and I wondered how the newer one compares?
Even if not quite as good out of the box I’d consider some mods to improve it, or is it just a better bet to go with a newer Heed version?

well, Heed say that's the most unstable of any of their amps ever built... (i.e. yes, those later-series Ion amps were built by them here in Hungary, but the inherent fault was the consequence of a somewhat flawed design, not their workmanship)

Does anybody know how many ION System speakers were built?
And is there a relationship to the ARC Amadeus Speakers?

Alex

ARC Amadeus…. Tell me more. Thought I knew all the different speakers ARC made but haven’t heard of them. ARC Atom are similar to ION JC 1 ( iirc) but not heard of any others……

The ARC Amadeus is mentioned in a German Hifi Magazine in 1985. There is written it was built by Dr. Hubert in Bochum / Germany. The distribution of Nytech equipment in Germany in that time was done by Amadeus-Musik-reproduktions-GmbH in Hattingen. So there is a link between the Name of the distributer and the speakers.
But who manufactured the Speakers? They look like the ION Speakers with a different tweeter. The dimension of the box is exactly the same.

On the Dr. Hubert website they mention they have started as company for Audio products in 1984

https://www.drhubert.de/unternehmen.html

NRWler04 known more about this - since ARC is now a part of the Nero/Arc company.
Yes :)

Dr. Hubert took over ARC when the company was sold by Alistair.

They continued to produce the ARC Speakers from Germany according the original specs.

Dr. Hubert provided me the original technical specification from ARC in 2013. The new ARC-Speakers by NERO are also produced according the original specs. There are still some spares available and so we were able to produce new drivers.

Have a look here: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/arc-audio-reproduction-company.146525/

NO, the JC-1A speakers were made by Ion Systems.

I think the JC-1 speaker was originally conceived by John Chapman when he was a hifi dealer near Bournemouth (used to sell Nytech and ARC)

John became the manager of Ion Systems and refined his speaker design which was sold by Ion Systems in both active and passive versions. The passive version had an external crossover in a wooden box, matching the speaker.
The active version used the Ion Systems SAM40, power amp boards from the Obelisk 3X in a housing which was exactly the same width as the speaker , with special crossover boards designed for the JC-1.

The speakers sound very good and I believe Naim, Julian Vereker, also thought the same. Perhaps Naim also made active cards for them.

Listening to a recently purchased Ion Obelisk 3 that I am gifting to my daughter’s boyfriend. It sounds rather good I have to say. Phil is currently building me a Nytech CA352 which I am dying to hear.

I hope Phil doesn’t mind but the Nytech CA352 integrated amp is coming together and I might have it by next week.

jJlu4DU.jpg

goyt0U6

Cool thing.
I'm happy for you and a little jealous. I wish you a lot of fun with the amplifier. It's made with love. Unfortunately I fell for another British manufacturer when buying a new one. That led me all the more to Nytech (ION Systems) devices. And you get the best service I have ever experienced.
Regards alex

advertisement

Back