advertisement

Nytech Audio / Ion Systems Appreciation Thread

Is it possible to remove the phono card from a CTA receiver and make it into a stand alone phono amplifier. I’ve got an old CTA in bits and have traced the flying leads that are the turntable input to a PCB at the front of the receiver. It’s got audio in (L G R) & out (L G R) and an additional red lead off the main PCB in the receiver. Is this card the phono amp in its own right or is this the XD bit of the CTA252XD and therefore works on the phono input in addition to gain & equalisation provided by the main pre amp board (in which case this idea is probably a no go)?

I guess it is possible, but to what effect? Please contact Nytech and ask for a restoration/repair of your CTA. I think it would a shame to dump that item, since it is a classic iconic design with a good sound which would not be out of the part even today. The phono part is in my opinion the least interesting part of it. Since the early days of Nytech the power amp has proven the test of time, the two transistor phono stage did not.

Dear Friends of Ion Nexus
I have a 750 and two MA40 running, now the little red LED in Front of one of the MA40's has gone...
Could you help me with an idea through what kind of LED I could replace ist?

As far as I know it is a generic red LED. It is powered from the filter card raw supply (around 31V) through R1 with 5k6. Please also check if this resistor is broken or burned. You may reduce the brightness of a new LED by using a - say- 10k resistor on the spot. Please do the repair only if you have the abilty to dis/assamble the item and solder properly. Otherwise I suggest to let it repair at Nytech, since Phil (Nytecholdie) has all the details. (Please consider that I have only stored service data, since I have no Nexus amp in my possession anymore).
955959-92e5c04b-ion-systems-ma-40-tx750-british-mono-blocs-heed-audio-nytech.jpg

Heres a pic of the two different pots used in the Obelisks

Obelisk-VC.jpg

The picture on the left is of the earlier Nytech CA102 and very early Ion Obelisk 1s. I dont know who made the original 50k pot and it has an unusual pin out. There doesnt seem to be anything around today with a similar layout.

The picture on the right is from an Ion Obelisk 1 and most of the Ion amps used the Alps "blue" pot which is still available.

It is possible to bodge - sorry! modify :) an Alps pot into the earlier amps but you need to drill holes for the pins in the alps pot and butcher the pcb underneath to hard wire the connections. Theres no decent mechanical support unless you make up a "L" shaped bracket (like on the later Obelisks - see pic above) Its actually easier to make up the bracket, turn the pot upside down (pins pointing up) and run wires to the original points on the PCB. Doesnt look as neat but is a lot easier to do!

Both amps used a 50k pot. You can also use the Alps "blue" 20K as the 50k version seems harder to come across these days.

Hope this helps

For Information: Phil has now some of these old original pot for repair, instead of useing the blue ALPS pot.

Here's a thought..I've an active Nytech set up with ARC 050...all good, lovely actually but, what might I have/be able to do to replace ARC with Tannoy Little Red Monitors that have the option for separate LF and HF inputs. Would this be two sets of crossovers fighting each other or is there a way to easily bypass the Nytech crossover??

Hello,

the active crossover for the ARC050 will be different to the need of the Tannoy.
And behind the LF & HF input there is still a passive crossover.

So you have to remove the active crossover from the Naytech gear to run the Tannoy with bi-amping and passive buil-in crossover or

you have to remove the passive crossover inside of your Tannoys and ask Phil if he is able to develop an active crossover for your nytech amps.

Alex

P.S.: If you sell your ARC050 please let me know.

now the little red LED in Front of one of the MA40's has gone...

Hello Markus,

one of my MA40 had the same problem, but it was easy to fix: The LED was burning, but moved inside the cabinet... So I had just to open it and put the LED back to their original position.

Alex

Hello,

the active crossover for the ARC050 will be different to the need of the Tannoy.
And behind the LF & HF input there is still a passive crossover.

So you have to remove the active crossover from the Naytech gear to run the Tannoy with bi-amping and passive buil-in crossover or

you have to remove the passive crossover inside of your Tannoys and ask Phil if he is able to develop an active crossover for your nytech amps.

Alex

P.S.: If you sell your ARC050 please let me know.

Thanks Alex...yes, that was my understanding. I was wondering whether it might be possible to simply (Jumper leads or something) bypass the Nytech active section and yes, just biamp into the Tannoys?

Mark

I was wondering whether it might be possible to simply (Jumper leads or something) bypass the Nytech active section

pretty sure I asked something similar further back in this thread and the CXA crossover board input output pin arrangement was described in response which may technically make jumpering an option (although without finding said posts I can’t remember if a reason was given why this maybe a bad idea) however a non-filtered card would obviously be the easiest option.

Hello,

does someone have old price lists, test reviews, advertises or brochures about ION Systems Obelisk 1, 2, 3, 3X, ION Speaker and ION Nexus Series?

Alex

Hi everyone, just fishing for a bit of advice.

I have a Nytech Obelisk integrated amplifier, picture of one (not mine) for ID purposes here

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=124061534846

I bought it new in 1986 and paired it with a Linn Axis and Royd A7s, I remember it as a very engaging and lively system with a bit of depth and soundstage. I replaced the amp and for most of the last 15 years it's been unused, though has seen a couple of years use through loans to friends and it was recapped in this period too.

I'm now in need of an amp and looking at pairing it with a Bluesound Node 2i (£400) and bookshelf speakers (maybe used KEF LS50 or Triangles, budget probably £400 ish) for a streaming set up in the kitchen (upgrading from Sonos, I want something good but not so good it has to stand up to critical listening). Do these amps still hold their own or am I better off just buying a modern £200 amp or (more likely) the Bluesound Powernode which includes their widely respected streamer and an amp in it (nobody ever seems to talk about the amp though!). It would be good to use the Nytech but if I'm just being nostalgic someone please put my out of my misery!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hello Alvarado,

I repaired a Nytech Obelisk (CA102) for my 16year old son with the help of Phil from Nytech Audio. Just try it. I used another CA102 with my Node2 in the living room, now replaced by ION Nexus system.

Alex

Have not been on for while but a quick update on my Nytech CA/CXA active system with a pair of 202 ARC speakers.
Recently had them back from Nytech after a check over and update.
Very impressed with the service and the results.
They did uncover a bit of a mystery inside the CXA. It had a mysterious little pcb added at some time to make it a bit more compatable with the Linn Kan speakers.
For those interested the system has in the past been used actively with
Linn Saras.
To date having owned Nytech/ARC stuff in various combinations since late 1970s never had anything fail.

The Nytech is connected to
Linn Sondeck
Linn Classic
Cambridge Audio streamer.

Had the pleasure of meeting Phil this afternoon when I dropped off my Ion Obelisk 3 off for a service. Reading this thread has given me all the reassurance I need that Phil is exactly the right man for the job. Really looking forward to hearing the results.
Will definitely take you up on the offer of auditioning the Nytech pre/power amps & comparing them to the Obelisk when I come to collect Phil, they look superb.
Many thanks,
TS

What are Nytech owners using for speaker cables.
Still using some very ancient RS 79 strand which appears to do the job.
Still have some unused stuff on the drum.

advertisement

Back