advertisement

Nytech Audio / Ion Systems Appreciation Thread

Hi all, I just acquired a pair of 1983 vintage Arcam One speakers. They originate from Arcam's participation in the Active Loudspeaker Standards Organisation, along with Nytech, ARC, Linn, and Naim. The LF and HF driver connections are brought out to the rear panel, the designed crossover frequency is 2.3kHz.

I have a CA252/CXA252 sitting doing nothing right now..

Can anyone advise on the filter component values used on the EXO board ? I have two examples to hand, one marked 'ARC101', the other 'ARC B', both have the same values, which I believe are for a 3kHz crossover:

High-pass
R213(a) 18k
C206(a) 1500pF
C207(a) 1500pF

Low-pass
R204(a) 1k5
R205(a) 3k3
R206(a) 2k7
C202(a) 15nF
C203(a) 47nF

Last edited:
I knocked up a quick model of the Nytech EXO filter circuit using QUCS. As a last resort I could use trial and error on the component values to get close to what I need, but it'd be great to have input from folk with a bit more insight than me :) (I'm very rusty when it comes to electronics theory.)

For reference, here's what the EXO circuit and its output look like with the component values for a 3k crossover:

EXO_sch.png

EXO_dpl.png

Please remember that even if you adjust the resistor and capacitor values from 3k to 2.3k you may not get the correct crossover characteristic that you require for the Arcam One !
You really need to measure either 1) the Arcam passive crossover, and/or 2) the tweeter and woofer response without crossover.

If the tweeter has a flat response down to about 1500Hz then the theoretical 2.3kHz crossover values will work very well and give you the crossover characteristic you want at 2.3kHz. However if the tweeter, without crossover, starts to roll off before 1500Hz (which it probably will !) then you need to adjust the crossover to compensate for this, ie calculate the nominal electrical crossover to work at a different frequency so that the tweeter rolloff PLUS the electrical rolloff give you -6dB at 2.3kHz (Linkwitz-Riley 2nd order).
Similarly the woofer should have a flat response, without crossover, up to 3500Hz ( which it also will not have !) if you want to use the nominal electronic crossover values at 2300Hz.
If the Arcam woofer has a rising frequency response above 2kHz (like most modern drivers) then the electronic crossover point would be set lower so that the combined response gives you the characteristic you need at the NOMINAL crossover frequency.
If you assume that the Arcam woofer has a falling frequency response at 2kHz (older 8inch heavily doped drivers with high inductance tend to have this response, ie Arc 101) then you would set the electronic crossover to start working at a higher frequency to achieve the correct combined response.

What you are trying to achieve is the driver response PLUS electronic crossover reponse will give you a LR2 (Linkwitz-Riley 2nd order) response that is -6dB down at the down at the NOMINAL crossover frequency. Adding the tweeter response to the woofer response will then give you a flat reponse at the crossover frequency.

If I remember correctly there is a french test of the ARC 202 speaker with Nytech (or Ion Systems) electronic crossover on the web which shows the frequency response of both drivers in active mode where the combined response of the tweeter and woofer do not add up ideally and give a bump up at the crossover frequency.

Basically the message is that the electronic crossover points have to be adjusted to suit the characteristics of the drivers.
The Arcam passive crossover will also have been designed to take account of the driver charteristics.

Many thanks for calculating the nominal Nytech crossover response, post #663, as this shows how Nytech crossover works. The low pass (woofer) filter is approximately a 2nd order Butterworth filter(-3dB @ 2400, -6dB @ 3000). The high pass filter for the tweeter also seems to be a 2nd order Butterworth filter (-3dB @ 4100, -6dB@ 3200).

After you have read this post twice and still don't understand it, then go to Wikipedia and look up Linkwitz-Riley filters and there is a very good diagram showing how the filters work.

Hi CPG, thanks a lot for your reply, but I just wanted to clarify, my info about the Arcam One is that the built in passive crossover has a 2.3KHz crossover frequency with 2nd order HF and LF rolloff.

I think what you're saying is that I should try to take account of the response of the drive units 'beyond' the crossover point and adjust the filter slope accordingly ?

But as the Nytech and Arcam crossovers alledgedly are both 2nd order my belief is that I don't have to worry about that. But I am no doubt oversimplifying.. :)

If I really must take measurements, the Arcam speaker has the drive unit and crossover terminals all brought out separately on the back. I have enough test gear/soundcard/software to do some plots, with a bit of guidance..

PS. the Arcam HF unit is a 25mm softdome that looks identical to the one used by ARC, made by Peerless I understand.

PPS. From another thread, A&R's John Dawson said:

"The crossover board fitted in the SA60 was a universal PCB designed to be configurable by fitting components for one pole crossover slopes (6dB/octave), 2 pole (12 db/octave) and possibly even 3 pole. Again, IIRC, the Arcam One was set up for 2 pole crossover, as was the ARC101."

I've asked for the A&R schematics which may help me check on this.

Sorry to be pedantic, but your Arcam One speakers have a passive crossover that TOGETHER with the drivers make a second order, 12dB, crossover at 2300Hz.

If you were to measure the impedance of the drivers and the values of the components in the crossover and enter them into one of the many crossover calculators on the web you would find that the crossover frequency of the components is not 2300Hz.
I think the Nytech EXO high crossover works very well at 3kHz (from your diagram -8dB@3000Hz, -16dB@2000Hz) because most tweeters have a nearly flat response down to 2kHz, so the electronic crossover creates the -8dB rolloff at 3kHz and the rolloff at 2000Hz would be -16dB as the tweeter doesn't contribute to the rolloff there.
If you were to change the EXO crossover to work at 2300Hz then you would probably get -8dB, electronically, at 2300Hz. But at 1500Hz (factor 2/3, like 2000/3000) the roll off would be much quicker and probably nearer -24dB than -16dB, 16dB from the EXO and 8dB from the tweeter.
(this is not necessarily a bad thing as it would protect the tweeter from overload better)

If you want to talk about this any further we can use the new Arcam thread you have started rather rather than use the Nytech thread.

I've not started a new Arcam thread. My enquiry is about modifying a Nytech crossover, so using this thread seems appropriate thanks.

If you're unable to assist with the info I need, I'll have to be patient until someone else shows some interest.

I'm happy to proceed with the crossover spec described by John Dawson.

Hi all
Thought I'd add to this discussion with some practical suggestions. I tried to find any references to the Arcam One in the Nytech/Ion/ALSO documentation I have but no mention at all :-(
Andy - your circuit above is a good starting point as its the circuit of the original Nytech 2Way 3kHz (ish) crossover for ARC and Linn Sara and kan.

If you want to drop the crossover point down a few hundred Hz then try increasing R204 in the LPF to 1.8k and change C206 and C207 to 1800pF. These were the values I ended up with for a 2.5kHz crossover for a customer of mine and they should give you a good starting point.

Remember that electronics is anything but accurate :) and that the spread of tolerance of components in passive crossovers is pretty large dont worry too much about getting the crossover frequency spot on! Also remember that the passive crossover has probably been tweeked to make it sound right and if its a really complicated passive crossover with lots of components compensating for other aspects of the speaker (Like the BBC LS3/5a) then making an active equivilent that matches will be "difficult" to say the least :-0

One thing not shown on Andys diagram is that the HPF output has a link that connects either to R217 (Tr204 emitter) or to R215 (Tr204 collector) and this link was used to set the polarity of the tweeter with respect to the bass unit (R217 - normal , R215 - Reversed) Its propbably the difference between the two crossover boards you have.

Your "ARC B" crossover will almost certainly have the link connected to R217 (in phase) whilst the one marked ARC101 could be either. The early 101 with the square tweeter required out of phase operation whilst the later ARC101 (round tweeter) required in phase operation.

However R215 also severely limits the maximum signal level output from the HPF and a much better approach is to replace R215 with a wire link, taking the output from R217 and apply the "reversal" at the rear of the speaker by reversing red and black (on both channels obviously :) to the BASS unit if the loudspeaker is designed to work with the tweeter polarity reversed with respect to the bass driver.

NEVER reverse the speaker leads to the tweeter, especially if you are using classic Nytech amps without the "anti thump" circuit fitted as the switch on thump with reversed tweeter will force the tweeter dome to move inward and hit the magnet which could damage the tweeter. If you do need to do a tweeter/bass unit phase reversal then always reverse the BASS driver connections.

Its worth trying everything "as is" just as a starting point as you wont do any damage with the ARC crossover and you might be surprised at just how well it works!

Hope this helps!

ION / NEXUS question, as I have some more NEXUS kit on its way to me soon from a recent purchase.

XPAC 1 120 VA 1x (2x22V) 2.5 A

vs

XPAC 2 300 VA 2x (2x22V) 5A

Can an SP1 be powered by an XPAC1? And would it be an improvement over the XPAC2.

Does it need the extra 30VA which would be better? I have a spare XPAC1 and when it arrives from seller will have SP1/XPAC2/SAM40

I have already an 3X / XPAC1, spare XPAC1 and 2x MA600 and 2x TXR-750-MA40 so will soon have a pre-amp to have a good listen to the combinations.

I have not had a pre - power running for a few years since selling my naim system.

John

Hi Guys Is the phono card in my CTA 252 XDII - Moving Coil ?

It has the markings
S 1.5 mV
MC1 150 uV Marked out black
MC2 70 uV - Marked out black

Thoughts?

Many Thanks

There’s a CXA for sale on t’Bay at the moment & the seller claims it can be used as a regular power amp in non-active systems.

He states:

vintage nytech power amplifier. Condition is Used. Dispatched with eBay delivery – Shutl

my tech cxa252 power amp with inbuilt crossover to make a active system

very rare nowadays

fully working and good condition

can be used as a normal power amp

From personal experience & wrt previous posts on here I believe this to be untrue and having question him on this his reply:

30 watts per channel , very musical power amp. it has normal banana plugs at the back and if you want to use as a active system just connect the din plug to the high frequency and the banana to the id base connectors. normal connection to the banana speaker connectors enables bypassing the cross over part.
thanks

Am I right in thinking this is pure nonsense?

He has good feedback and his eBay name mentions “hifi” so I’m guessing he has at least a passing interest in this sort of item. I don’t t therefore think he’s intentionally trying to deceive but must be mistaken. Or am I wrong and have been missing a trick with regards to other uses for the Nytevh CXA?

Sorry guys and gals - I've been tied up for the last few weeks and haven't had a chance to "catch up" on the latest posts here. So heres the answers to some of the questions posted above.

Ion Xpak and Nexus SP1 (preamp).

All the Xpak power supplys have the same voltage output at 22V x2 and have the same connections.

The original Xpak1 was used with the original black "industrial" looking Ion Obeleisk 3X

The later version of the Xpak1 used with the later 3x (with the neater front pane; and the red Ion label) was the same voltage but a much higher VA rating to improve supply regulation and sound quality.

either version will work with either 3x but there will be some inprovements in sound quality and performance by using the later Xpak1.

The Nexus range used the Xpak2 which was essentially the same as the XPak1 but it had 2 outputs to drive the SP1 preamp and the original Nexus power amp.

Again the XPak1 can be used to power an SP1 preamp but it only has one output so it cant power the power amp as well..

MC or MM ???

This applies to all the Nytech amps (CTA/CA) and the preamps (CP112/122).

The markings on the back should tell you wat is in the amp but if the input card was changed by a dealer the input label wasn't changed which causes confusion.

The easiest way to tell if its MM or MC is to try it with a record deck with an MM cartridge.

If the resulting sound is OK with the volume just under half way for a "reasonable" sound level then the card fitted is almost certainly MM (S 1.5mV)

If the resulting sound is very muffled with very little treble then its likely to be moving coil and likely to be an MC1 as the MC2 was only used for a couple of very low output cartridges.

Its also possible to tell by measuring the input resistance (with the amp OFF!!)

Using a multimeter on the ohms range measure between the centre of the disc phono socket and the outer earth (black to centre, red to earth)

If you get a reading of greater than 10k ohms then the input is MM

If you get a reading of around 470 ohms then the input is MC

Finally using a CXA252 crossover amplifier as an amp

You are correct! the statement

"it has normal banana plugs at the back and if you want to use as a active system just connect the din plug to the high frequency and the banana to the id base connectors. normal connection to the banana speaker connectors enables bypassing the cross over part."

is pure nonsense! :) The DIN speaker sockets are connected in parallel with the 4mm sockets so they are exactly the same outputs so you cannot bypass the electronic crossover by doing this.

It is possible to use a CXA as an amplifier but only by removing the crossover board and linking the inputs directly to the PA modules. However as its the same power amp modules as used in the CTA/CA I wonder what the point would be. The CXA is more valuable to someone who is looking for one to make an active system then it is as a power amp. If you want to really improve your system then look for a CPA602 power amp but they are even harder to find on the SH market!

Hopefully this info is helpful!

Hello Friends of Ion

On Ebay there are a few amplifiers from Nytech. Especially two MA 750 in the mono version.
I just wanted to tell you, if you are interested.

I myself will install my MA750 an SP1 Preamplifier shortly, which was in the basment for more than 10 years....
I like to hear it...

Best to you all

Markus

An Ebay listing has appeared for a Nytech DeVa 250 amplifier – “hand made in England by Dacapo Industries”. The Nytech logo uses the familiar NY symbol. I thought I had a good understanding of Nytech’s products but have never seen or heard of this variant before. Is it some kind of repackaging of existing electronics ? It looks a professional piece of equipment. Can anyone position it in Nytech’s history.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This does not have anything to do with the classic Nytech range, nor with ION. But please check the Nytech homepage and also Nytecholdie (Phil from Nytech) can be more specific here.

My understanding was that the designers who were working at Ion when they folded went on and designed a range of Hifi. The company was Morgan Audio Systems.

I owned one of the amps (not the same as the eBay listing) and it was very good, there was also a CD player which was even better and I also had a pre-production DAC.

I changed from Ion Nexus monoblocks to the integrated, it was an improvement to my ears, so the amp was pretty special.

I'm looking for two of ION Systems JC-1A front grille fixing studs. They are also used by Spendor, I guess.

Alx

Its the diameters of the holes in the grille and loudspeaker that are the important measurements

The JC1 grille fixing studs for the JC1 are not the same as used on current Spendor speakers as they use magnets.

Falcon acoustics and Wilmslow Audio can supply various different types of grille mounting hardware but check sizes!

I used some to restore a pair of JC1a's a few years ago but I cant find the order so I cant give any part numbers

Both Falcon and Wilmslow are very helpful however and have human beings answering the phone (rare these days) so worth giving them a ring to check sizes!

Hope this is helpful if somewhat late!

Is it possible to remove the phono card from a CTA receiver and make it into a stand alone phono amplifier. I’ve got an old CTA in bits and have traced the flying leads that are the turntable input to a PCB at the front of the receiver. It’s got audio in (L G R) & out (L G R) and an additional red lead off the main PCB in the receiver. Is this card the phono amp in its own right or is this the XD bit of the CTA252XD and therefore works on the phono input in addition to gain & equalisation provided by the main pre amp board (in which case this idea is probably a no go)?
Any help gratefully received as always

Dear Friends of Ion Nexus
I have a 750 and two MA40 running, now the little red LED in Front of one of the MA40's has gone...
Could you help me with an idea through what kind of LED I could replace ist?
Thank you very much for any advice.

And a lot of fun with your ION systems...
Markus

advertisement

Back