advertisement

Nvidia acquisition of ARM

sean99

pfm Member
https://www.engadget.com/nvidia-arm-acquisition-softbank-000846113.html

I have a bad feeling about this in many ways. First I suspect it will not be good news for ARM HQ in Cambridge UK. Second, I fear that Nvidia could make it harder for other chipmakers to license ARM cores - ARM pretty much owns the embedded market (coretex-M).

However I would appreciate the thoughts of other fishies on this subject - perhaps I am too pessimistic ? Nvidia has publicly stated they will retain the ARM licensing model.

So far.. Nvidia are making all the right noises about HQ, research locations and company name. They have some trickiness to negotiate with some customers perhaps.

The UK whilst being a free trade nation does need to be better at protecting and promoting home grown technologies so that stuff does not slip away.

I remember how Kraft could not wait to break the promises they made when they wanted to buy Cadbury’s.
No reason to think it won’t happen again.

The ARM licensing model is fundamental to its success, it wouldnt make sense to drop it.

Nvidia arent thick.
That, and there are likely existing contractual obligations towards existing ARM users that they couldn't get out of even if they wanted.

On the other hand, anything weakening ARM's dominance could benefit others, and that might be good for the industry as a whole.

Nvidia can promise what they want, its only what they ate contracted to do that matters.

On the other hand, anything weakening ARM's dominance could benefit others, and that might be good for the industry as a whole.

Maybe, although IMO tech is becoming so fragmented that there is a tradeoff between new technologies advancing the field and developers having to spend an increasing amount of their time learning new things and being less productive (or burning out) as a result. Having a few de-facto defaults is not an entirely bad thing.

advertisement

Back