advertisement

NVA LS 2 with Naim: any opinion?

Maxbertola

pfm Member
Since I'm looking for 2 x 6.5 mt. of discrete and black speaker cable, and nobody seem to have 2nd hand long runs of Naca5 these days, I have seen that NVA is selling their LS 2 speaker cable in various lengths at very good prices on their eBay store and was wondering what opinions are here about this cable.

I need cable from a Nait5i to n-Sats. What do forum members think?

Thanks very much for any comment,

M.

Hi Max, NVA LS2 is NVA's speaker cable for the NVA amps
NVA amps like Naim & Exposure need a high inductance able to work at their best, so if its good for an NVA amp, its good for a Naim - Especially a Nait5i which is far less fussy than the old olive amp designs.

Ciao

Given that the forum whatsnext refers to is a naim free zone , this forum is probably best for your enquiry .

i use nva with none nva amps to excellant effect [ not ls2 or naim]

NVA cable is low capacitance as I understand is Naim cable , it is not multistrand however .

suck it and see , money back if not likey .

Thanks,

I know the Naim forum well, and I know well the idea many have here of that forum...

Thanks for your opinion, it's more or less what I was looking for. I have Naim and don't plan to sell it, I am interested in the NVA because I know that it matches the Naims electrically, is presently relatively cheap, hence my enquiry.

Regards
Max

hey Max,
your black Naim stuff is flexible enough that you can use ANY speaker cable on them - e.g. a friend uses the Polk Cobra, reportedly high capacitance, speaker cables on the 5 amp w/o even a hint of a problem - it was the CB and Olive series that could suffer from high capacitance speaker cables. also, the LS2 is a pretty entry-level of an NVA speaker cable - I'd rather go for the LS5 were I in your shoes or, better, use the Avondale Black Link cables for superior sonics

Since I'm looking for 2 x 6.5 mt. of discrete and black speaker cable, and nobody seem to have 2nd hand long runs of Naca5 these days, I have seen that NVA is selling their LS 2 speaker cable in various lengths at very good prices on their eBay store and was wondering what opinions are here about this cable.

I need cable from a Nait5i to n-Sats. What do forum members think?

Thanks very much for any comment,

M.

The only issue with Naim is to avoid *high capacitance cable, so yes LS2 will work and nothing will blow up, but generic 79 strand is dead cheap, will sound as good and presents a benign load.

*if the capacitance isn't stated, just avoid anything, platted, tightly twisted or using vertically stacked flat conductors. Stick with dumbbell or figure 8 construction and you won't go wrong.

I asked NVA about the cable with Naim and he did confirm that the requirements of the cable were essentially the same as mentioned above as well.

So, should be fine and you are down to the sound. Of course all cables sound the same ;)

Yes, of course ;)

Anyway, I wish to be clear: I am not on the trail for the Nth alternative to Naca5: I noticed the good price of the NVA and asked some questions.

If I wanted a cable with the same electrical specs of the Naca5, I'd buy the Van den Hul Clearwater, almost identical specs wise.

Thanks for all the suggestions. If superstition prevails, I'll wait for second hand Naca; if sensibility wins, I'll wrap my Chord Campana in a black nylon sheath.

Max

I used LS3 with my naim amp and it was an improvement over the NACA5 i was using before.Now using LS5,hang the expense.:rolleyes:

That's interesting, only I fear that going up the ladder with NVA cables might end up in buying really costly ones...

I'll take a look.

Thanks
M

Try LS 1 it is very good and not that expensive, you can always send it back if you don't like it.

Max

I had a 5m pair of LS2 when I had the monster MF A308, a friend now has the cable, and the amp.

He was stunned at the difference the cable brought over the cheap stuff he had prev. ANd LS2 is an absolute bargain in loudspeaker cables.

I got a 5m pair of LS3 when I bought the P90 & pair of A80, but the cable went back to NV along with the amps.

I never ran it with Naim kit, sticking with NACA5

It will be very discreet, and I'd think will do the job very well for you. I don't know if NVA would make it up with Naim plugs for you, or if that would bother you.

John

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought LS2 was multistrand cable (the only one NVA do sell).

IME, NVA cable are all excellent, and very keenly priced - but I thought LS2 was the only 'poor' (relatively speaking) cable in the range. I would second the shout to get LS1, which really is super.

As an alternative, I know of people that have gone from NVA cable to Avondale blacklink (also keenly priced), and been very happy.

LS2 is seven strands of solid core cable , not individually insulated like the rest of the range , whether its multi-strand is a semantic point , but it is not multi-strand in the way traditional cable are . ie , dozens [ at least ] of thin copper strands .

I would also recommend LS1 to start with . I was a cable sceptic ,in that I accepted they made differences of presentation but balked at accepting they made significant improvement . LS1 improvement was immediate and significant , so much so even Serge would have heard it and he is welcome to come round while I repeat the test .

Cable prior were audioquest , cable talk and gale .

Thin cables, or those with little copper or silver content, with high loop resistance will change the response of the loudspeaker.
If anyyone wants to replicate this effect just buy a power resistor and place in the loop. 1-2 Ohms if fine to start. It's a crude but effective tone control filter with a mild effect at low Ohm ratings.

How good or bad this effect sounds depends on each case, loading etc.

advertisement

Back