advertisement

Nutters: racist banner on Ben Nevis

Plus, much of it is nobody else’s business.
All right SPT, but it's you who started it by mentioning your parents. My point in general is that our parent's lives were/are different from ours, often much harder (they had WWII and lots of other things we were spared from), they have merit even when they say bull time and again, and we are not entitled to tell them how to think. And at 80+ it's too late anyway, they have other worries.

If you manage to argue a lot and still keep an good relationship, all good. If not, then it's just too bad. End of, for me.

All right SPT, but it's you who started it by mentioning your parents. My point in general is that our parent's lives were/are different from ours, often much harder (they had WWII and lots of other things we were spared from), they have merit even when they say bull time and again, and we are not entitled to tell them how to think. And at 80+ it's too late anyway, they have other worries.

If you manage to argue a lot and still keep an good relationship, all good. If not, then it's just too bad. End of, for me.

I would have thought that WWII would have been a stark warning that shows where racism, xenophobia and nationalism can take a country!

Children who think they know better than their parents is not new, nor is it necessarily true.

Some people's experiences in WWII may well have helped instil xenophobia against certain nationalities. Not invariably, of course. My father was on two RN ships that were torpedoed by U-boats, events which resulted in many deaths amongst his shipmates. Not long before he died, he was interviewed by the local newspaper about his experiences in the Battle of the Atlantic. He was asked whether he felt angry or bitter about the German U-boat crews. 'No' he said. 'they were just young lads like me, fighting for their country as I was fighting for mine'.

But I can imagine that someone imprisoned by the Japanese might have different feelings about the enemy.

It’s fitting that they had climb a mountain to unfurl that banner as if they’d tried that shit in Glasgow the police would be collecting their carcasses from the Clyde
Don’t about that, Rangers have their fair share of racist nutters

advertisement

Back