advertisement

Nugs.net service impressions

DimitryZ

pfm Member
I signed up, since i like concerts and they announced hirez content, on IOS no less...

The concerts are great. But...

No hirez content on either IOS or Android.
Hirez content on desktop browser is for download only, at a substantial additional cost.
IOS and Android apps have way less stuff than desktop. Search on Bruce Springsteen returns nothing...But all the last year's concerts by Bruce Hornesby are there and sound good in 44k.

Are there others who have tried this with better success?

Hmm, I bought one Springsteen download from them, which I had trouble downloading, I ignored it for a long time, then I contacted their Customer Service who provided a link to re-download which worked. You only have 48 hours to download paid for content, unlike Qobuz where it remains accessible as long as you have a subscription. So I'm pretty "cool" on nugs, i.e. I have not much of an opinion either way, but find the 48 hr download time limit "cheap".

I never tried the streaming aspect. I just can't get enthusiastic about streaming from the cloud, I must be too old. I dabble, now and again, to see if I like something, then I'll buy it, or more than likely not, either on a physical support (CD/LP) as I did from Bandcamp.

Last edited:
I did go back and forth with their TS and was able to find that at least Dead and Co shows are streaming in 96k MQA. It does sound good and it is fun to listen to the live show in really good sound.

This is a first IOS device MQA streaming service. It does successfully push an unmolested MQA stream through the lightning connector to an MQA Dac.

This is a first IOS device MQA streaming service. It does successfully push an unmolested MQA stream through the lightning connector to an MQA Dac.

Technologically interesting, but I feel like it's the new empereurs new clothes, Just how much music is going to be available in MQA? I know you can't answer that, but these incremental advances are at the same time exciting and annoying.

I haven't tried to listen to MQA streaming, nor will I, unless it becomes as banal as chewing gum. I'm too old for the equipment set up gymnastics. I spent a lot of time and money a few years back with various small sized computers and OS, and it all seems too much DIY for me.

advertisement

Back