advertisement

Nubya Garcia at BBC Proms

We await your report ….

I wasn't sure how it would work a venue like that - and sure enough the huge reverb of the room did smear the sound a bit. Despite that I really enjoyed it. Band sounded great and the event had a really nice vibe.

I think this was the fifth time I've seen her play with her band - from the front room of a pub to the RAH in four years is good going.

New remix record imminent apparently.

I wasn't sure how it would work a venue like that - and sure enough the huge reverb of the room did smear the sound a bit. Despite that I really enjoyed it. Band sounded great and the event had a really nice vibe.

They've done a lot of work there to improve the acoustic in recent years.

Just watching it now on iplayer, just into the first track, loving it.
Gonna have to get me that album.

Edited to add:
Wow oh wow. Never heard of her. Just excellent!

Yes, very good so far. Nice to hear Joe Armon Jones on a proper piano rather than the usual digital one!

Nubya’s website implies there are still some white vinyl copies of Source available. I’m amazed as that was a 500 edition back on release (there was at that time a signed version too, which I went for). I’d grab one if you’ve not got it! They are going for more on Discogs!

PS I’ve preordered the remix album with its unknown vinyl colour and cover!

Briliant! I hope it's not the muso's Euro's though, so to speak. It's hard to imagine that it wouldn't be...

Nubya’s website implies there are still some white vinyl copies of Source available. I’m amazed as that was a 500 edition back on release (there was at that time a signed version too, which I went for). I’d grab one if you’ve not got it! They are going for more on Discogs!
You talked me into it. I admit I found it rather bland when I tried it on Spotify a few months ago, but everyone else seems to rate it so maybe I was just in a bad mood. Hardly unusual. I’ll try the prom the next time we have a rainy night that forces me indoors. Tomorrow looks likely.

Yes, very good so far. Nice to hear Joe Armon Jones on a proper piano rather than the usual digital one!

PS I’ve preordered the remix album with its unknown vinyl colour and cover!

Ordered, thanks Tony.

Thanks Tony, ordered the vinyl also!
Don't think I've ever...ever.. splashed that much cash after hearing only two songs from an artist!

Caught some of this earlier by accident. Had heard of her, but never heard her.

Excellent stuff. The keyboard player was superb too.

Everyone plays in everyone else’s band

There was a free concert series curated by Nubya last weekend outside the South Bank Centre. I caught Sam Jones (drummer in her band) leading his band with Chelsea Carmichael on sax and Sheila Maurice-Grey leading her band. Both were great :)

Excellent, and I agree with the comments above about it being better, more energetic, than her record - which is great anyway. Time for a live album! Meanwhile it's time to fire up get_iplayer :cool:

advertisement

Back