advertisement

Notts Analogue - New Arm options

Lordhenley

pfm Member
Im currently using an Origin Live OL1 arm which is a Rega 250 based arm on my Spacedeck, for a while Ive been considering a new arm as a potential upgrade, on my current short list are;

SME 3009 Series ii non improved - would be brought secondhand for around £300 ish
Jelco 750D - Would consider a new one or possibly a second hand one
Audio Note Arm 1 - Max budget at £685 new
Space arm - Would have to be secondhand
Rega - Thinking about a RB 700 as these have been seen second hand at around £400

I originally thought of the SME 3009 and the Jelco as they have the detachable headshell which would make swapping carts easier, especially for mono recordings, but Im unsure if these would suit a Spacedeck?

As always in HiFi would I be gaining much in doing a change in the arm that I am currently using in the price bracket that I have been looking at, or would I be better off saving some more money and going further up the food chain?

Any help much appreciated as always

Very best

Lee

No such thing as a good arm, only a good arm / cartridge combo, so what's the cart going to be?

Agreed.

But a really well made arm (one made with love) is the Audio Origami PU7.

Tell the man what cartridge you're going to be using and the result is heaven on Earth.

Sorry guys the current cart is an Ortofon Rhondo Bronze. If I went fdwon the SME route then Id be looking at possibly adding an SPU in the future

Presumably the extra arm-board (if choosing an SME or non-Rega fitting arm) would set you back a bit.

Going up the O.L., Rega or Notts Analogue ladder may be more cost effective, but as mentioned, get an arm with the effective mass to suit the Rondo Bronze (whatever that may be). SME doesn't sound right to me unless the Bronze is medium/highish compliance.

Rondo Bronze and nude SPU work with 12" Ace Space. Although the lugs on arm cable need squishing for the smaller SPU size, or big to small short runs added. I've tried both on a Dais with this arm. (Not the latest super-super 12" arm)

Looking at the vinyl engine data...

http://www.vinylengine.com/tonearm_database.php

...looks OK for 9" arm as well.

Could come down a bit in the audio origami line and try an RB7 - baby brother to the PU7. I'm planning on acquiring one at some point...

I use a Notts Omega Point which I think is an early 90s forerunner to the Space. It's very good, and better than an Ittok IME when I have compared them on an LP12.

You might be able to find one of these - Martin Bastin has (or had) a few that he fits to 401s when customers request them.

If going down the Rega based arm route, I would recommend a Michell Tecnoarm over something like an RB700. It's truly excellent and should mate well with your cart.

Lefty

There's a few good suggestions for me to have a look at and please do keep them coming.

Whats the opinions on a SME 3009 series ii non improved?

Whats the opinions on a SME 3009 series ii non improved?

It' a 'nice' arm - a little curtailed at the extremes and certainly not the last word in dynamics, in fact not the last word in anything except styling, but what it does it does rather well IMO. Think of it as the Quad 303 of tonearms; rather smooth, gentle and mid-centric, yet surprisingly informative, musical and very easy to live with if you can live without an edge-of-seat presentation (which I can). I'm reluctant to recommend it without caveat as I suspect there is a good chance you may prefer your OL modded RB250. It is however versatile, it will work with anything compliance and weight-wise from an SPU to a V15/III and is a real pleasure to use. The most radical, innovative and significant tonearm ever made IMO, it really did define the art for decades, but a lot has happened since then.

PS FWIW my recommendation would be to keep the RB250 for a while, buy an extra Spacedeck arm pod and run a 3009 as a second arm. It makes a lot more sense in this context IMO.

Roksan Tabriz has seen off all Rega's I've had, (+12" Jelco) currently toe to toe with an Audiomods series V and is far from embarrassed.

Not popular for some reason, older ones >£200 leaving enough for a J7 rewire. Perhaps thats why mine sounds so good? :D

advertisement

Back