advertisement

Nottingham analogue + ringmat

mjhill1234

pfm Member
I have a notts analogue ACE space with the heavy kit so has the graphite "mat" which I believe is designed to be used nude and the way I have been using it since I fitted the kit. However having just found my old ringmat I thought I would give it a go and I am sure I can notice a difference in the sound but I am not sure if I prefer it with or without!

Would value the opinion of anyone else and any other Nottingham owners with a graphite platter what if anything you are using :)

Of course the difference in sound could be down to my VTA adjustment being a tad off after fitting the ringmat.

Very recent convert, but I will likely have a play with a felt mat and some sorbothane blobs.

If there is no difference in sound, I'd be a little surprised. That does not mean good, bad or anything else in particular.

The major hassle with the graphite here, is that it is low friction, so if you load a record with a SLIGHTLY over-sized spindle hole, using a carbon brush takes some considerable care. I have thought about buying some VERY thin silicone sheet to cut a washer to fit on top of the central puck that holds the spindle - it is SLIGHTLY recessed below the graphite here.

Currently bare here though.

You certainly are correct Vinny I have had quite a few moments using the brush or worse a felt pad! I've also had a couple of moments stopping the platter and the record is still spinning :eek:

Maybe that alone should convince me to leave the ringmat in place!

I used a Ringmat on a Hyperspace , I liked it as it raised the record a little off the platter making it easy to flip the Lp while the platter is spinning, I did however adjust the height of the arm to correct the VTA after adding the Ringmat. I didn't detect any negatives effects in sound quality, IIRC it brought improvements in the very top end, better seperation, more delicate, I don't remember any negative effects, I must actually get another for my Dais.

Of course the difference in sound could be down to my VTA adjustment being a tad off after fitting the ringmat.

Yup; bound to be a difference, with the back down a bit, accentuating the bass at the expense of the treble and 'sparkle' (assuming it was correct initially). I'm not a tweaker, and just use my Dais as intended, although if I had a mat I might try it. It's sometimes difficult to differentiate between 'different' and 'better' (or worse). I just have a feeling that Tom Fletcher would have thought of/experimented with this, and Penny and Adam would have surely produced their own mats if there were gains to be made.

Okay, I'm a sceptic; been in the game too long, I guess ! Oh yes, the graphite top platter is just the right diameter to safely lift a record without dragging or slipping.

Yup; bound to be a difference, with the back down a bit, accentuating the bass at the expense of the treble and 'sparkle' (assuming it was correct initially). I'm not a tweaker, and just use my Dais as intended, although if I had a mat I might try it. It's sometimes difficult to differentiate between 'different' and 'better' (or worse). I just have a feeling that Tom Fletcher would have thought of/experimented with this, and Penny and Adam would have surely produced their own mats if there were gains to be made.

Okay, I'm a sceptic; been in the game too long, I guess ! Oh yes, the graphite top platter is just the right diameter to safely lift a record without dragging or slipping.

Thanks Mike

I did adjust the VTA to compensate for the thickness of the mat but there is a strong possibility I was not 100% accurate :)

I totally agree on differentiating between different or better - its certainly not worse (as far as I can tell) so I'm inclined to leave it on. All I know is it I didn't "record hop" listening for differences I just happily let the albums play out.

advertisement

Back