advertisement

Nottingham Analogue optimisation…

I never know that.
I presumed the fact that my Ace Spacedeck came with a mat the turntable was designed to be used with it.

I now have the Dais which I use without a mat, as designed.
The first six months of production, the Spacedeck came without a mat. One day, Tom showed up with a mat, saying "hey kid, for anyone who wants a tone control". From then on a mat was supplied as standard but to my ears, the TT sounds far more dynamic used as intended, without a mat

Reactions: GT
The first six months of production, the Spacedeck came without a mat. One day, Tom showed up with a mat, saying "hey kid, for anyone who wants a tone control". From then on a mat was supplied as standard but to my ears, the TT sounds far more dynamic used as intended, without a mat
Fascinating, I wish I knew that when I had my spacedeck.

A dealer told me recently that the Nottingham decks were designed to be used with Decca cartridges, so should be worthwhile considering when next changing the cart.

Last edited:
A dealer told me recently that the Nottingham decks were designed to be used with Decca cartridges, so should be worthwhile considering when next changing to cart.

That is not strictly true. It depends on the age of the turntable and what tonearm was fitted. The later decks and tonearms (about post 1995) were designed around Nottingham Analogue's own MM cartridges. However prior to about 1995 NA tonearms (Mentor, Alien arm etc) were used with Decca cartridges (Gold, Blue & Grey etc) by Tom Fletcher the designer. It is the tonearm that is important to consider with the cartridge and not necessarily the turntable. Most users today use MC cartridges with NA turntables and tonearms. Not only will they sound better, but they will be more reliable, will last longer and will give a more consistent performance.

Most users today use MC cartridges with NA turntables and tonearms. Not only will they sound better, but they will be more reliable, will last longer and will give a more consistent performance.

Sounds like you're consigning MM cart's to the dustbin or mediocrity there, Grahame. ;). I once had a Decca London; C4E or another black one from the early/mid seventies. Unfortunately, i can't remember the t/t or the arm (Decca or SME, I s'pose) but I do remember the vividness; also that it was a bit much to handle sonically on uncleaned records, as all were then, and with the kit I had at the time. The quadraphonic fiasco killed that one off !.

Having a 12" Ace Anna, which has been sympathetically mentioned with Deccas by many and on this thread,, I just fancy trying that sonically unique cart. experience before I re-evaluate my front ends. I trust your comments above don't include the Decca range (which are not MM, of course).

Fun post which I hope I will contribute to.. I am not a frenzy spinner (more of a reckless diyer here) but have had my plain old Spacedeck (wooden but no original base, platter with 1 oring, kuzma 9" unipivot arm, AT VM740ML) for 3 years now, liking its evergreen looks and natural sound presentation.
Some things I enjoyed was building a diy ac motor controller from kit (not available anylonger I am afraid), having a belt self built see here:

and getting +- 0,02% wow (measured by cel phone application) with them.
I liked also ball bearing cups under the wooden base, which clearly helped to avoid stylus jumps (even with heavy jumps around the room/high volune) but could be risky if not set carefully.

I am using the original mat as a dust preventing system only, as I am using three small hemisphere dots of sorbothane stuck (1-2mm tall) on the platter in place of the mat. Not sure about sound improvements, but they sure help avoiding static and easing disc pull ups while platter spins..

advertisement

Back