advertisement

Nottingham Analogue Dais vs. TW Acoustics Raven One?

Greg

1-6 are within an hour or so about 22 months ago.

7 was a couple of months later when new protractor acquired (after borrowing Fro's and deciding I couldn't live without one)

8 is relatively recent.

The obviously problem with 8 is that there just aren't enough tape machines...

4946461510_2ee3d17676_z.jpg

Or 1/4" copies of studio master tape...

5277314659_b22e7bff0d_z.jpg

5277923892_cb1c51aea3_z.jpg

Somebody stop me.

My next upgrade is a stripy cushion like Sheldon's - seen here behind the Gorn...

tumblr_lbf12sSeXu1qbfcqio1_500.jpg

Looking at those pics, I can feel a Heavy Kit coming on.

Are you using the Wave mechanic PS? If not it might be worth seeing if the PS or heavy kit would be better for you?

Dave is about - so he might be able to give an idea of the improvements of each.

Hi,
Heavy kit first and Wave Mechanic for your Birthday.

IMO, the Heavy Kit is more of an improvement all round, the Wave Mechanic is a refinemet but still worthwhile.

I've never seen one with a black platter, they have all been a graphite grey as per Jonathan's pics. Also, the arm is an early Mentor arm, not the model with the mod'd bearing, which has been around for 4-5 years now.

If one is considering spending 10K on a turntable; a Brinkmann Oasis is just under 8K and a Brinkmann LaGrange is 10.5K - just a thought (obviously a brand new Dais is a lot less than that, £4190 new).

JONATHAN

Nice piccies; that Revox brings back happy memories of my student days. I imagine the arm is a N.A., but which cart. do you use in it?

Koetsu Rosewood with an expert re-tip. Not a perfect match with the NA 12" Ace Space arm and requires some extra weight. But I always wanted to try one.

4377050218_eeec0e364f_z.jpg

Still one arm. I got distracted from a second arm search by thinking about a second pair of 57s and stacking, then I was distracted from that by master tape copies. (Which was all Guy's fault whilst at Andrew's bake off!)

I couldn't figure out what to do - there is a better NA arm now, I could find a better arm match for the Koetsu (which wouldn't be the NA) and use the 12" for a mono cart - but was struggling to find a decent mono cart that would go with the NA. It was if I was a machine intelligence on Star Trek that Kirk had tied up in logical knots. So it was easy to get distracted.

Still deciding what to do about the tape thing, it is clearly high quality through the Revox and Preco. A professional Studer machine with some customisation for optimising playback could be very good - but there is a limit on software availability and the software is expensive. But it is very tactile and fun to play with as well.

I'm going to leave it alone for six months and see how bothered I am. Thinking what to do was getting in the way of enjoying the music. It is quite a nice system - I might just leave it alone.

EDIT: Mike - if you are ever up in East Yorkshire, give me a shout and come see/hear for yourself.

"I might just leave it alone" ..and play music ..very good idea , thats where I've been since I bought my Hyperspace , thanks for nudging me in that direction , i am ever in your debt;)

Fancy a play with a Brenell RtR that's lurking with my mate in Grimsby Jonathan? We acn sort it out while I'm that way over Xmas. It came out of BBC Leeds a few years ago, I've had it years but never used it in anger and it really is a special thing direct drive, built like a tank. It needs a run to show off its prowess.

"I might just leave it alone" ..and play music ..very good idea , thats where I've been since I bought my Hyperspace , thanks for nudging me in that direction , i am ever in your debt;)

Excellent. Although I think I wasn't the only one nudging. Is the debt exchangeable for coffee, biscuits and a listen at some time in the future?

Fancy a play with a Brenell RtR that's lurking with my mate in Grimsby Jonathan? We acn sort it out while I'm that way over Xmas. It came out of BBC Leeds a few years ago, I've had it years but never used it in anger and it really is a special thing direct drive, built like a tank. It needs a run to show off its prowess.

Sounds like a plan. This place is going to start looking like a recording studio soon, or maybe IBM storage c1965.

Every time I see a Dais, either in pictures or in real life, I lust after one, even though I've got three TT's already (albeit one of them is out of action) !!

If we're talking Brinkmann decks, I must admit the new Bardo looks very tidy..

you are welcome to Harlow anytime .. I'm not in Chesterfield , I think you knew that . I hope , but Les will always welcome you .. I have a rather nice Ethiopian arabica coffee and a large store of biscuits..its the shop around the corner....

I've never seen one with a black platter, they have all been a graphite grey as per Jonathan's pics. Also, the arm is an early Mentor arm, not the model with the mod'd bearing, which has been around for 4-5 years now.

Dave

I seem to remember someone saying you can/could get an alternative to the iron platter for anyone concerned the 2.5 cm of graphite wasn't enough to stop the cartridge magnets being attracted to the platter? (Which I never quite understood.)

Could this one be one of those, or just an early mentor/Dais hybrid?

Cheers,
Jonathan

PS thanks for the Heavy/PS clarification.

advertisement

Back