However I have an itch that I should be using something better with my system

Primare i32
Primare r32
Rega RP8
Chord 2qute DAC
Rega RS3 soeakers

This is a £6k system with cheap cables

Shall I spend a bit or make some nice cables

for speaker cable, buy some decent cable (e.g. VanDamme), some good quality plugs, and make your own.
pre/power and digital cables I'd say buy good quality (but not silly expensive) ready-made cable.

I have the Quattro, it's a good quality speaker cable though my Chord Silverscreen brings out more definition & detail, I wouldn't go any higher than this if I were you.

I have a 2m pair here lying in a draw if you want to give it a go on loan, you may decide to save your money as it's easily the best cable I have used, cheaper or more expensive have not improved on it.
It becomes available quite often on ebay second hand at good prices.

Also worth noting that audiophile cable depreciates at least as much as audio kit, so bargains can be had second hand. I'm very capable at soldering etc, though tend to buy my interconnects second hand off eBay as good brands can be had for so little money and as with sensible second hand audio buying can be had for investment only, i.e. I'd get the same or more back if I sold. FWIW I seem to rather like vdH so have a fair bit of that at present. Just be a little careful as some cable brands (including vdH) are faked in China these days so only buy stuff terminated with the correct plugs and supplied with the original packaging.

nice thread.

I managed to look how a Naim lavender interconnect was made by looking at the DIN soldering, looks like the cable shield is used as the ground?

Chord stopped doing that a long time ago, they use a proper conductor as the ground.

Which is the correct approach? does it matter?

nice thread.

I managed to look how a Naim lavender interconnect was made by looking at the DIN soldering, looks like the cable shield is used as the ground?

Chord stopped doing that a long time ago, they use a proper conductor as the ground.

Which is the correct approach? does it matter?

If any screening is needed, my preference would be for a cable to have a separate return to the screen & the screen only connected at one end that is marked as such.
In the distant past as a teenager, I made up a microphone cable with TV coax, it worked a treat - until the cable was moved - rustling noise through the speaker!
Although phono plugs are a dreadful design in that the return disconnects before the live when removed, I dislike Din plugs even more. XLR every time, given the choice. Whether or not it matters about the screen can be system-dependant.

This is a £6k system with cheap cables

Shall I spend a bit or make some nice cables

Cheap doesn't mean bad! I'm using microphone cable in the few pounds per metre throughout my system, and it sounds pretty good to my ears.

Whichever way you go, worry about the mechanical aspects, as decent connectors make life easier (you unplug them more often than you think), and cables which are stiff are a right PITA.

make your own by all means, I have many many times, but if you are going to solder, it does need some knowledge to do it properly (not suggesting you don't know this, but it is surprising how many badly soldered joints I come across). But any clean, good quality copper of a sensible width will be all you need IMO.

Cable from Studiospares is ideal and not 'audiophile expensive' like a lot of
stuff offered.
By the amount of discussion on PFM, people are still being taken in.

advertisement

Back