advertisement

NOS Warfdale Super 8 RS/DD

Hempknight

pfm Member
My brother has a pair of these which look NOS, in origional boxes, with paperwork, speakers are dated 1964! From what I can find out from a quick google, they were first introduced in 1962? I haven't seen any with the same sticker and stamped backs. I'm going to list them on ebay at some point, is there much call for replacements ? anyone know which models they were used in ? Any info would be much appreciated.

Here's a few pictures

agKkRflgqng5HU_2VZPNcZngk5TbkDn0lwvKkr1WY7O8v-3andm9U8cco5zPAoS3xNevj1JmqdKTJghEOf-wZXKrV-T6jDQWLRV0rSq3b0ng1jHskg0bvdBqxFLpAafgHHHXXyZyzKbOy_b4Sg9utqTV87LqSUA-acbq5iBIKxQzEVMcHUKreDgf2Ay6r-hPB__t7AYe8XgOtrOuo7qXbv8uRMh-CFFC-nbqbPAo8jiw8QpMvHa2J4sIfl4KQBaTI-S8GOKUZb7lcjja4iYxmkd_GHEsoP1q7ZrH199bmXJCGJXpeh6mAdXSeihiBzTe8dzF8mvpYian5xmIfFGRksray6kxbAazJCiOeIqtUt2TOaPYQgad54DZZ_g8F_qlI2UaLS5jtJBLnyQ7J48UPBklXWBdFkOnmOagODx8UJV1Kt6dYFU6MnoGG4hMLr_RNdl6DRwZh89RcvmjV7-5RbdIoi7-MYX94V2XqoT8CEg6eEvnAPHzmJi5WswL7LDlJaz6LTtbopiIxomn7jbatU46pvICz5hUXZ7H2JSYiWcKbkOpzBYZW17gbXNH3WsabITIMDgesZvuRBh067mDzYS2bTfXKz6-iwoxQ8c=w599-h654-no

CbOYDkdey_lhbxX3suOFFqEO8uaDzYpJcv9TBHrOF2VGMhYOOt7pF2jc9LyfUpWPKikiPRXJ2CoXfky1J8EcjMEm9v-ylANWemi01k3wekF8VyAJHKfX3KNA6vdKjis3Y2fG7Z0b387tlKyCVpXp2ecBg7MZPQbiqrItFN18I6ai5b83T2VhiJw7kKHMerGjFzywI1jOL2JKhZbB1uOPx8T-1tXWqXewEfkCz4uItyRMnlMTPkUrmrJBpn3xeYgEeprQXkEmXJdQ1d1X4zed_KFsp-8MTrmoUQEImO4J36PAXyHzRdpn85DHE66UvEXFB55TCEOFsm8g2lJ-m9wsNKy_aZp2ZyECzUofjyotlxrUu1IOjq0d-daUJFm9LYqwTLJwiqMQXGITllt1Y0O8bkOPifVlMAHu7DHyvqY0ExLuph7fkxeO15dVO8JulN1yQi59VwinthOCsZpl4tCZc1YU3Z7BDLFCJM-Sbp4Pbj3RqueekFslSnLVtHweZoUMWzvh_NyfDSFTBsjDQcUf_FWxf_rmMpah3stdngf8xecedp89Gd40Xn9p_x2vHJDdggA3XKmshJz5BvaARMOMpil5J-4r3ewLl0qTr0Y=w571-h654-no

The pictures don’t work. Details how to link to image files can be found in the FAQ in the reference area.

What are the surrounds like? I’d be interested to see the pics as I’ve got a couple of even older Wharfedale drivers to be re-foamed at present.

Ah, I linked them from my google account, I assumed if I could see them, everyone could. I'm supprised by the condition for their age, apart from a bit of dust, they look like they could have been made yesterday!

Hope this host works.

Warf1.jpg

Warf2.jpg

If I remember correctly, Wharfedale supplied plans for cabinet construction. I would love to build some high quality cabinets and fit the ‘RS/DDs. It would be fascinating to hear them on a modern audio system.

If I remember correctly, Wharfedale supplied plans for cabinet construction. I would love to build some high quality cabinets and fit the ‘RS/DDs. It would be fascinating to hear them on a modern audio system.

I'm pretty sure the plans are included in the box, I'd have been tempted to keep them for a project if they had been the 12" version :D

Way back I had a pair of home built speakers (not built by me) which had 8inch/RS/DD and 3inch/RS/DD drivers, driven by a JLH class A amp and later by a Sugden C51/A51. The cabinets were built to Wharfdale plans. They sounded quite decent and if I knew then what I know now, they would probably still be in use, but alas they were only home made, so 'proper' ones had to be better....

Full range, the thing in the middle is a ‘whizzer cone’, i.e. a small tweeter cone attached to the same voice-coil. Same logic as a Lowther.

PS If anyone spots a vintage 10” Wharfedale of similar era let me know as I need one for my lone Sand Filled Baffle. The annoyance is I need one with a three mounting-hole basket, and all the ones I’ve seen aside from the one I have already have four!

Hi Folks

I was lucky enough to purchase pairs of Wharfedale Super 3 tweeters, Super 8 RS/DD (as mid-ranges) and W-15 woofers out of my meagre student pennies in the 1960s. I built robust six-cubic-foot chipboard cabinets for the woofers and two 18-inch-square open upward-facing arenas for the mid-ranges and tweeters. This lot, somewhat resembling the Wharfedale Airedale commercial offering at the time, with properly excellent 20-watt amplifiers built to the Bailey design (early complementary-symmetry transistors!) was absolutely wonderful.

I still have all of the speaker constructions, although alas the amplifiers were stolen long ago. I should love to find a Radford SCA 30 to replace them and live in hope. Unfortunately one of the 8-inchers has nowadays become "grungey" and so if anybody has one of those (Super 8 RS/DD) to spare i should love to give it a good home.

BTW the roll surrounds are made of "Bendextrene".

advertisement

Back